Yoga

Thread starter #1
Afternoon ladies/gents,

Do we have any people on here who do yoga? I’ve been thinking of taking it up for a while now in the hope it may help me not only with my golf but just for my body in general.

I’ve always been relatively active despite being overweight in my early 20s but in the last 3 years since getting a desk job, I have started to notice my body becoming increasingly un-supple.

Is yoga likely to be beneficial in terms of making me more flexible and able to manoeuvre myself a bit more easily? If so is it easy to get started and get into it?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
I took it up about 2 months ago. I got a mat and this book https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...MI78PKx62i7AIVGODtCh1_dQonEAQYAiABEgLsRvD_BwE and follow one of the 12 week programs. I do it around 4 or 5 times a week at home for about 30 mins. At the same time I made some big changes to my diet so I can't say this is all down to yoga, but I am much less stiff and achey after any exercise, specifically playing badminton now. Touch wood, since taking yoga up I have not had any muscle pulls as I used to get and also I used to get bad night cramps and they seem to have mostly gone away. I also used to do a 4 mile run round me and gave it up as I used to either twinge a muscle all the time or basically get knackered part of the way round. But last weekend I decided to give it ago for the first time in months with no build up, and I got all the way round without injuring myself.

As I said I can't put all this down to yoga as I do play badminton 2 or 3 times a week and do at least 10,000 steps every day without fail. But I definitely feel some benefits from it after I have done other exercise. Bit I will warn you, some of the poses at the start you see in a book and just think 'no chance mate, that ain't happening'. But after a while you can at least get somewhere near completing them. So it's a thumbs up from me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Any form of flexibility conditioning at any age can only be beneficial to health. But beneficial to golf in your 20's or 30's? That would depend on the golfer. I had a tpi screening when I was 31 and was tour average on all the tests apart from hip tilt mobility. I don't do any stretching apart from in between sets at the gym. Even then it's a small amount.

I know more seasoned golfers that have benefitted hugely from yoga

Orikoru

Tour Winner
I've been wanting to do it for years, but I just can't get into it. Classes are surprisingly expensive, and doing it home with a video, I only last a couple of goes and then lose the motivation.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
I've been wanting to do it for years, but I just can't get into it. Classes are surprisingly expensive, and doing it home with a video, I only last a couple of goes and then lose the motivation.
Class shoild be about £8 for an hours, thats what we pay round here.
That said its quite difficult to get into one these days with all the social distancing required.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Class shoild be about £8 for an hours, thats what we pay round here.
That said its quite difficult to get into one these days with all the social distancing required.
Round here it was like £14-15 and that's only if you block book. Seemed a bit steep.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
My good lady uses Adrienne (sp?) on YouTube which she says is good. Loads of different workouts for different ‘ailments’ such as bad back, sore legs, etc. I tried a couple including a golf specific one and wasn’t too bad but yoga isn’t really my thing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Have dabbled with pilates and got a very good book called "The Golfers Guide To Pilates". Found it more beneficial than yoga which I wanted to get into (HID wanted to so I was going to join in with her). I am starting to get more and more niggles especially the back so I think winter is the ideal time to find the time each day to really commit to pilates and pay another visit to yoga

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Cetainly not saying anything against yoga but it always seems to be a bit of a 'look at me' thing, especially when you see all the mums dropping little jonny off at school with their mats tucked under their arms. Not tried it but heard lots of good things about pilates for core strength and stability , and probably a bit cheaper as it doesnt have the 'i do yoga dont you know' tag

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Another one to look at is Les Mills Body Balance, mix of yoga, Pilates, etc. Think you have to subscribe so may be an issue

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Cetainly not saying anything against yoga but it always seems to be a bit of a 'look at me' thing, especially when you see all the mums dropping little jonny off at school with their mats tucked under their arms. Not tried it but heard lots of good things about pilates for core strength and stability , and probably a bit cheaper as it doesnt have the 'i do yoga dont you know' tag
Unfortunately I do my yoga in the confines of a spare room on my own, so miss out on all the MILFs in lycra doing it. But believe you me, I'd not object if any of them wanted to join me ;)

As for cost them the book I got was 2 quid from amazon second hand and the mat was 10 quid. As with golf, you can pay as much as you want.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Huge bonus today. My gym membership expired at end of March 4/5 days before lockdown.They had given us extra months and went today to check.

Wow. They have extended membership until 28/2/21 and I will be going tomorrow as the forecast is poor for golf. Also booked Pilates for Tuesday which is free NB Orikoku, sorry, and is held 3 times a week.

What a bonus.