Working from home

Thread starter #1
For those of us forced to work from home, and lucky that right now my job isn't under threat, though who knows in six months months time, how is everyone managing? Is it a lap top on the kitchen table while children school around you or phone calls from the shed?

Have found Spotify a blessing, Netflix hit and miss as to how much work I do, and Amazon / eBay (looking up golf nets...) a curse as all work goes out the window !

How's anyone else in this position managing?

GBC

I am contractually able to WFH two days a week (though mostly I have done 1) so I'm well set up. I have a separate room for my 'office' but it also has a TV and a number of guitars and amplifiers to distract me, wherin lies the main problem.

For me it's about maintaining self discipline. If I'm really busy then it's actually easier - you can crush through so much work when there are fewer distractions than there are in the office. You can 'self-isolate' from all the usual office 'chat' now coming through on MS Teams, Zoom, Whatsapp etc. But when you're not that busy it can be a struggle to get anything done at all.

Now that the kids are at home 24/7 and the Mrs is also WFH (she gets the dining room table), it's all a bit trickier, but we're coping.

Some of the guys from work are having things like virtual drinks and pub quizzes, and there's a regular 'what are you having for tea' channel, which eases some of the boredom...

I’m working full time from home too. Keep switching the room I work from to keep it more interesting. We are doing a lot of work on MS Teams to try and keep the team morale up too which is useful

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Working from home, lucky to have a desk in the spare room. Wife and daughter here, which means distractions are rife, especially the 3 days a week my wife is working from home.

Desperately searching for some way to hit golf balls - I have a small garden which is in bad shape (I had just started to talk to a friend to come over to do the patio with me before the lockdown kicked in) so even buying a net, I'm not sure where I'd put it!

The first week of working from home (this is my 4th week) was ok, doing the odd job around the house when things were quiet etc. Now I'm pulling my hair out, I am desperate for a sense of normality!

I am still going to my office, which before I get criticised is completely remote and its only me there, it is very very quite tho' and feels really strange, I am clearing the backlog of work but don't expect any new business to come in for some while. The elephant in the room as far as I see it is we are all going to be paying for this for a very long while, so I want to have as much in reserve as possible for when we have to pay it all back

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I've been doing 2 days a week at home for the past couple of years and stay in a hotel near the office midweek. So been home full time for the past 2 weeks. I have a proper office set up in one of the bedrooms.... I am quite busy at the mo which helps keep me focused. Sometimes have some music on my mostly do not. We've set up regular video chats to keep everyone connected...I used yo work as part of a team which was split between London, New York and Singapore, so used to not being in the same room as the team, at least the time difference isn't something to accommodate.

For now , pleased to have money coming in. This is going to mess the economy for many years...... but the alternative isnt better

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I part worked from home for many years of my life.

I was able to set up a home office which was kept locked so the kids could not wander in and mess around with my paperwork.

I used to get up really early in the morning (5 ish) to do the paperwork without being disturbed.

It was important to have a routine and for the family to understand that when you are working it is not a time for play.

Hackers76

Normally work from home a couple of days a week so from that side of things this is relatively normal. However other half is now working from home and we have a 3 year old (well 3 tomorrow) to try and keep entertained. He has been brilliant considering but I do feel very guilty that he is not getting the attention his development needs.

Personally don't mind working from home. I did so a lot anyway... but at the same time it's nice to have an office in town that you can go to for certain days, to have face to face with staff, social interaction and get away from the kids and other distractions.

I'm self-employed so in charge of my own diary. Not sure I'd find it that much different if I was employed and had a set amount of hours or work to get through. In reality you are probably saving anything from an hour to 2+ in terms of commuting and so depending on the type of work you do and the IT you have... it should lead to a bit of efficiency / time saving at least.

I WFH all the time in any case - so 100% used to it.

My wife didn't really like me WFH in the house - so a couple of years back we used money from my parents estate to have a very nice modern little studio (12'x8') erected at the bottom of our garden (my parents always wanted us to have a decent garden shed and a once gave us a couple of hundred to buy one - but the children ate the money - now I've got one - thanks mum - thanks dad :) ).

I've been able to set things up so that my wife can WFH in our back room - taking calls on her charities telephone helpline and so can't be disturbed at all - which s fine as I'm out of the way at the bottom of the garden.

Her lunch break is 1pm. I'll see her then and we'll have lunch together.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
In our conservatory we have a dining table that never gets used for dining, so I was able to set that up as my desk. Using an old TV as a monitor.

home office.jpg

Had to make it as office-like as possible or I knew I wouldn't be able to focus to get anything done. Although, as above, I do have my guitars in here which I tend to play every now and then as break time. So far I have resisted putting the PS4 on in work hours though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
Worked from home for the last 10 years, but have meetings two or 3 times a week at Hial and Inverness. i tend to do start eariler than i would if i was still in an office and finish later, somes work till 8 or 9 at night, but a do play a couple of times as well, but on the whole i do far more hours now than i did when in an office

Siolag

I started a new job yesterday, and thankfully it’s one that’s geared to work from home. Also I’m very experienced in this field so it’s not as difficult for me or my new employer to manage it all.

Into my third week. Lucky to have a computer and not just a laptop, very hard in my line of work to use a laptop for more than just checking emails etc.

Had to buy a desk chair as the dining chair was not good after an hour or two of sitting. My team isn't that social so no Zoom, whatsapp groups etc.

But, I have just done an online workout on Zoom with a fitness instructor i know well - gave me a good boost, I'd recommend them if you have the time

In our conservatory we have a dining table that never gets used for dining, so I was able to set that up as my desk. Using an old TV as a monitor.

Had to make it as office-like as possible or I knew I wouldn't be able to focus to get anything done. Although, as above, I do have my guitars in here which I tend to play every now and then as break time. So far I have resisted putting the PS4 on in work hours though.
What have you got guitar-wise @Orikoru?

trevor

Head Pro
I’m retired and also on the endangered species list so not allowed out at all. On day 2 now of a Christmas present jigsaw.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
One of the things that made me smile last week but others may have been irritated by was - I made a call to a company last week and the call was diverted to a person working from home, that person failed to turn the TV sound off whilst dealing with my call.