Who wears a hat to play golf in?

Thread starter #1

trevor

Head Pro
Just wondering how many people on here wear a proper hat to play in. I don't mean an ordinary golf cap but something like a trilby or a straw boater. Do you think it looks silly or smart? The last time I played I passed 2 people wearing straw hats and thought they looked quite smart.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
I won't wear any type of hat during the summer. I really don't want the top half of my head white whilst the bottom half is tanned. I can put up with that on my arms but not my head.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Flat cap for me. It's a nice Hugo Boss light cotton one in the Summer, and a thicker traditional one when its a bit colder.

Fader

Tour Winner
Having worn the usual golf hats and Visors this year I decided to mix it up. So far I've got a really cool lightweight summer Trilby got a few odd looks wearing to the course and on course but its really good. I find I don't sweat in it and don't get that urge to adjust it I do with caps and it looks a bit different.

I'm also looking for a decent Gatsby style flat cap and a Greg Norman cowboy type once I've got those am going to rotate them all.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
I would imagine it all depends on the category of course you are playing.

I nice classy trilby will look the part at St.Andrews. But maybe not at your local muni.

Wenglish

Medal Winner
I normally wear a visor if the sun is about but yesterday I played a round in the rain and used a flat cap I had in the boot. Ill be using it a lot more, definatly better than my mates baseball cap at keeping the head dry and it looks smarter as well.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Wooly hat in winter, baseball cap in summer - my solar panel doesn't keep me warm, and is inclined to get a bit painful on a sunny day...

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Hi Everyone, just joined the forum after weeks of lurking.

I often woolly hat in the winter, to keep my head warm and wear a cap on hot days here or in places like Portugal to protect me from the sun, although strictly speaking a cap doesn't protect you as well as something like a Greg Norman straw hat. A few years ago I had a mole removed which didn't look quite right and had indeed turn into Melanoma, luckily they caught it in time and it hadn't spread (Melanoma in situ). Anyway the Dermatologist said that the biggest group affected by melanoma especially around the head and particularily the ears were golfers, cricketers were also mentioned but golfers are the group with the biggest risk.

Sorry that my first post is a bit grim, but they will get better honest.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Hi Everyone, just joined the forum after weeks of lurking.

I often woolly hat in the winter, to keep my head warm and wear a cap on hot days here or in places like Portugal to protect me from the sun, although strictly speaking a cap doesn't protect you as well as something like a Greg Norman straw hat. A few years ago I had a mole removed which didn't look quite right and had indeed turn into Melanoma, luckily they caught it in time and it hadn't spread (Melanoma in situ). Anyway the Dermatologist said that the biggest group affected by melanoma especially around the head and particularily the ears were golfers, cricketers were also mentioned but golfers are the group with the biggest risk.

Sorry that my first post is a bit grim, but they will get better honest.
so not only do I have to worry about how crap my swing is I now have to worry about cancer on my sweede, thank god we get no sun nowadays (the swing will always be crap however)

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
reading some of the scores posted by high h/c golfers on these pages i would think the hat of choice would be a SOMBRERO!!!!!!!

V

vkurup

I was in India a few months ago... the GC in Mumbai has a hat stand with about 30-40 Trilbys for members to use.. Almost took a pic, but realised I could be thrown out/banned for it. But yes, old Trilbys dont die, they just go to the tropics..