What is happening to our world?

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Thing is, it is easy to focus on the bigger things that can be attributed to certain groups etc and draw sweeping conclusions about types of people, nations as a whole etc but lets look closer to home. Social distancing is introduced but appears to have been largely ignored at a number of clubs, golf is banned yet videos appear of people out on the course, golf is back as 2 balls yet stories abound of groups joining up as 4 balls, ignoring social distancing etc, complaints ring out about how unfair it is to not allow 4 balls, 4 balls are permitted but complaints abound about no competition golf, people start their own competitions, clubhouses are closed so people bring beer and drink in the car park, clubhouses do takeaways and people sit in the car park eating them with their beer and thus not taking them away at all despite the rules aiming to stop people lingering around the club before or after rounds. On a smaller scale, golf clubs alone have shown all of the traits of the beach goers, the protesters and those breaking the rules by acting in a way that suits them

These are unprecedented times with stringent rules that nobody has had to contemplate before. Some will follow them strictly, some will ignore them, most will be somewhere inbetween but it is across all walks of life and across all political ideologies. Whilst we do not see it across the newspapers, I am guessing this is going on in pretty much every country across the globe. Basically, the alternative would have been to put the army on the streets and end what little economic activity we had keeping places ticking over. Not sure that would have been ideal.

My point of view, I stay good to my own conscience as to what I feel is right or wrong given my own circumstances.
And what exactly is the problem here? When we were 2 balls only, one of our members organised a group competition, 4 groups of 6 players, singles match play, winner of each group into the semi finals. When we went to 4 balls, 2 matches would go out in one 4 ball so as not to waste 2 tee times. There's plenty of ways of organising competitions that don't fall outside the current rules.

bobmac

Major Champion
That’s different, this pic is classic fly tipping, who takes a sink to the beach to dump?

I cannot understand the mentality of people who go to the beach and do not clear up after themselves

They should leave only footprints
When I was camping with the cubs/scouts, we were told the only thing you should leave behind were your thanks

Indeed, there seems to be a littering pandemic also.
People are socially distancing from bins
Sadly, it ever was so.

I used to be Chief Officer of a council Parks' Service. It used to cost us half a million quid - a quarter of our entire annual budget - to clear away the litter left behind by visitors. And yet, not a single piece of that litter came to a park of its own accord?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
That’s different, this pic is classic fly tipping, who takes a sink to the beach to dump?

I cannot understand the mentality of people who go to the beach and do not clear up after themselves

They should leave only footprints
I didnt intend ot to be representative of what people leave behind on a beach. The thread is about what's happening with our world and I gave it as another example.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner

So JOB reckons (and I guess you agree) people think it’s ok to Riot, attack the police, ignore social distancing rules and trash public places like beaches and parks because Boris prorogued Parliament or has a child out of wedlock or something?? 😂😂😂😂

Honestly man tear up your Momentum membership...the warped thinking of the Looney Left is laughable!

pauldj42

Money List Winner
So JOB reckons (and I guess you agree) people think it’s ok to Riot, attack the police, ignore social distancing rules and trash public places like beaches and parks because Boris prorogued Parliament or has a child out of wedlock or something?? 😂😂😂😂

Honestly man tear up your Momentum membership...the warped thinking of the Looney Left is laughable!
No it’s because he’s a serial liar, a cheat, someone who tried to get another person beat up.
So lump it all in with his character traits.
Have you any proof those doing all the things you listed are Momentum supporters or looney left?
Remind me again about the accusations and whining on here when all tory supporters are being labelled as right wing.:unsure:

Last edited:
No it’s because he’s a serial liar, a cheat, someone who tried to get another person beat up.
So lump it all in with his character traits.
Have you any proof those doing all the things you listed are Momentum supporters or looney left?
Remind me again about the accusations and whining on here when all tory supporters are being labelled as right wing.:unsure:
But even should any or all of those accusations be true it is still treating those people as children.

Telling them that it is OK to ignore the rules and guidelines as there are others doing the same.

Does this mean that personal responsibility no longer exists.

Mind you as the tweet came from an idiot radio presenter who feels that the result of the 2016 referendum should be ignored as it wasn't the result that he (or I) wanted I suppose I am not surprised.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
But even should any or all of those accusations be true it is still treating those people as children.

Telling them that it is OK to ignore the rules and guidelines as there are others doing the same.

Does this mean that personal responsibility no longer exists.

Mind you as the tweet came from an idiot radio presenter who feels that the result of the 2016 referendum should be ignored as it wasn't the result that he (or I) wanted I suppose I am not surprised.
It’s irrelevsnt what I think, I’m not the one in charge of the Country making the decisions.

Do you think it’s ok for HK to post a tweet without comments and then be ridiculed by another poster with accusations of momentum and looney left etc?

It’s irrelevsnt what I think, I’m not the one in charge of the Country making the decisions.

Do you think it’s ok for HK to post a tweet without comments and then be ridiculed by another poster with accusations of momentum and looney left etc?
I didn't comment on that since, as you know, I have no time for the name calling and pigeonholing of posters and their comments.

My only concern is the current practice of absolving people from responsibility for their actions on the basis of "It's OK, cos he started it. Not my fault!"

If, as has happened in the past, a politician is found guilty of drink driving would we be expected to accept that as an excuse for others committing the same offence?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I didn't comment on that since, as you know, I have no time for the name calling and pigeonholing of posters and their comments.

My only concern is the current practice of absolving people from responsibility for their actions on the basis of "It's OK, cos he started it. Not my fault!"

If, as has happened in the past, a politician is found guilty of drink driving would we be expected to accept that as an excuse for others committing the same offence?
There’s no doubt there’s a distinct lack of people willing to take responsibility, but I also don’t believe it’s anything new.

The youth of today are behaving exactly the same way youths have done since time began, the biggest difference for me is what has become acceptable and were the “new” line has been drawn as to what is right and what is wrong.

Blame the media? Blame the governments? Blame ourselves? Maybe we all have to take some responsibility for the society our Grandparents, Parents and ourselves have created or accepted or allowed to evolve our recent years.

Or, we can blame the youth of today.......:unsure:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter

Weird thing is I haven't voted Labour for many years. But of course if you question the capability of dear leader you are obviously a member of the looney left. As that's how it works nowadays. ;)

Last edited:
There’s no doubt there’s a distinct lack of people willing to take responsibility, but I also don’t believe it’s anything new.

The youth of today are behaving exactly the same way youths have done since time began, the biggest difference for me is what has become acceptable and were the “new” line has been drawn as to what is right and what is wrong.

Blame the media? Blame the governments? Blame ourselves? Maybe we all have to take some responsibility for the society our Grandparents, Parents and ourselves have created or accepted or allowed to evolve our recent years.

Or, we can blame the youth of today.......:unsure:
Oh I agree this is not entirely a new phenomenon and neither is it an issue only with the young.

Just look at some of those on the beaches the other day. Not exactly in the first flush of youth, many of them.

Throughout society, seemingly regardless of age, gender or class there appears to be an increasing number who feel that they do not have to accept any responsibility for their actions.

This manifests itself in many different ways including the compensation and litigation culture.

Nobody should be disadvantaged by the actions of the State, corporate organisations or other members of society but equally nobody should be exempted from responsibility for their own actions.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Oh I agree this is not entirely a new phenomenon and neither is it an issue only with the young.

Just look at some of those on the beaches the other day. Not exactly in the first flush of youth, many of them.

Throughout society, seemingly regardless of age, gender or class there appears to be an increasing number who feel that they do not have to accept any responsibility for their actions.

This manifests itself in many different ways including the compensation and litigation culture.

Nobody should be disadvantaged by the actions of the State, corporate organisations or other members of society but equally nobody should be exempted from responsibility for their own actions.
Are we both guilty at looking at the behaviour of the minority and letting it ruin our judgement on the whole of society though?

We focus on the benefit scroungers, the small % who fiddle rather than the vast majority who need them and don’t fiddle or the rich person fiddling tax rather than the majority paying their way?

Any fix or attempt to change society has to come at all levels, from parents teaching what is right and wrong and not just legally but also morally and government looking to close loopholes by introducing laws that stop systemstic abuse of the system.

But to do that, we need a society that wants to change and I don’t think we have that.

Are we both guilty at looking at the behaviour of the minority and letting it ruin our judgement on the whole of society though?

We focus on the benefit scroungers, the small % who fiddle rather than the vast majority who need them and don’t fiddle or the rich person fiddling tax rather than the majority paying their way?

Any fix or attempt to change society has to come at all levels, from parents teaching what is right and wrong and not just legally but also morally and government looking to close loopholes by introducing laws that stop systemstic abuse of the system.

But to do that, we need a society that wants to change and I don’t think we have that.
I try to avoid looking at the past through rose tinted spectacles and also don't think that those to whom we refer represent the majority.

With regard to society wanting to change I fear that the apathy of the "silent majority" is the greatest obstacle.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I try to avoid looking at the past through rose tinted spectacles and also don't think that those to whom we refer represent the majority.

With regard to society wanting to change I fear that the apathy of the "silent majority" is the greatest obstacle.
And a change that would need to be recognised by all sides of the political spectrum!