What is happening to our world?

Thread starter #1

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
I don't know if people are going stir crazy because of Covid but this country seems to be losing control right now. Peaceful BLM marches turning into riots, illegal raves, street parties with dozens of police officers being attacked and injured, people flocking to beaches and ignoring social distancing and leaving tonnes of rubbish behind. Carry on like this and I can see the army being called in to control crowds.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
I don't know if people are going stir crazy because of Covid but this country seems to be losing control right now. Peaceful BLM marches turning into riots, illegal raves, street parties with dozens of police officers being attacked and injured, people flocking to beaches and ignoring social distancing and leaving tonnes of rubbish behind. Carry on like this and I can see the army being called in to control crowds.
Perhaps we need better leadership? Is it coincidence that in countries where you have popularist mostly self serving leaders and administrations from the more extremes of their party who thrive on creating tensions and an us V them narrative, then you get a lot of resentment and anger in some parts of the population who feel neglected and ignored? And the trust in authority evaporates.

Thread starter #3

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
Perhaps we need better leadership? Is it coincidence that in countries where you have popularist mostly self serving leaders and administrations from the more extremes of their party who thrive on creating tensions and an us V them narrative, then you get a lot of resentment and anger in some parts of the population who feel neglected and ignored? And the trust in authority evaporates.
You may be right but I think it's more to do with a drop in personal morals and standards mixed in with a large dollop of stupidity.

Hacker Khan

You may be right but I think it's more to do with a drop in personal morals and standards mixed in with a large dollop of stupidity.
That has always been prevalent in society. Id argue the distance between the haves and have nots both financially, culturally and with regards to power and influence is widening leading to a more polarised society. Which will have numerous consequences, this general behaviour of some of society being one of them.

Rooter

Money List Winner
It's a perfect storm, great weather, lots of people still off work with their kids not in school. Scores of people are actually better off on furlough than working! Some people I know are truly loving life and hoping it continues! Could this be a reason for some people disregarding common sense?

Plus, as anyone who follows my twitter will know from my rants yesterday, a large number of people are just doorknobs.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
OK, what is this better leadership like? I guess you will say the problem is all because of DC and a few other MPs but we all know it's due to a number of people believing it's fine to do anything they like and damn the rest of society and that includes DC and the other MPs before anyone asks.

Slab

Money List Winner
That has always been prevalent in society. Id argue the distance between the haves and have nots both financially, culturally and with regards to power and influence is widening leading to a more polarised society. Which will have numerous consequences, this general behaviour of some of society being one of them.
Compared to when? 100 years ago, 200, 300? I think not

The distance has probably never in history been smaller than it is today, unless you go back to cave dwellers

DRW

Tour Rookie
1914 to 1918, 1939 to 1945 period and many other war & other periods in the world history may wish to disagree and rightly so. Even the 70s-90sish still had IRA, been loads of riots in my times since the 70s etc

The last 30-40 years have actually been fairly calm, not totally but relatively when compared to what went before.

Are they to many people on the planet earth, are we killing it, will humans die, for sure.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I fully lay the blame at the British gutter press's door.

For years they have breed hate, unrest and questioning of those in charge just because it suits them.

The covid briefings turned into which tabloid could make the mps trip up the most rather than find out proper information

Not turning this into a brexit debate but the most pro EU city was Liverpool. The same city that banned the sun.. so less gutter reporting less people getting pure hate drip fed to them on a daily basis

About time the press was brought into line but the damage is done

Thread starter #11

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner

For years they have breed hate, unrest and questioning of those in charge just because it suits them.

The covid briefings turned into which tabloid could make the mps trip up the most rather than find out proper information

Not turning this into a brexit debate but the most pro EU city was Liverpool. The same city that banned the sun.. so less gutter reporting less people getting pure hate drip fed to them on a daily basis

You think this is the reason idiots flock to the beach and ignore social distancing advice and also the reason they leave 50 tonnes of litter lying around in 2 days?

Hacker Khan

I'd also argue that if politicians treat the public like idiots, then don't be surprised when the public act like idiots.

drdel

Tour Rookie
IMO there is a general feelng of 'entitlement': generates unreal expectations that will not be met and so resentment builds.

A vaste number of reasons. TV and advertising show what you 'should' have or aspire to have. Easy finance, general impatience.

TV interviews usually have an expert challenged by 'pop' star or other celebrity, membef of the public who then rant on to flatter their own ego.

Average intelligence is actually quite low. People are generally uniformed/stupid and look for reasons to blame everyone else rather than take any responsiblity.

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
I find it interesting that people try to lay the blame with politicians rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. Lots of things happen that I don't agree with but I've never felt the urge to join a riot, attack anyone or drop litter.
Exactly this Gordon, this sort of behaviour has got nothing to do with politics.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I find it interesting that people try to lay the blame with politicians rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. Lots of things happen that I don't agree with but I've never felt the urge to join a riot, attack anyone or drop litter.
Yet our own PM (and previous) admit to being a member of a boy’ club known for trashing restaraunts snd intimidating staff etc and other Politicians (on both sides) admit to drug taking and joining in on Protest Marches, then we have the MP’s expenses scandal from a few years back.

Maybe people in positions of authority should lead by example or at least provide laws that equal and fair.

It’s like blaming the press:rolleyes: nobody is forced to buy a newspaper or watch the News, again succesive Governments could of introduced legislation to both protect the freedom of the press and make them accountable.