What if Bunker Rakes were banned indefinitely?

Slab

Money List Winner
Inventive solution indeed, but I think you underestimate the human races ability to adapt and survive.
If this does become something that is long term or comes in waves every few years, people will not just give up and wait for death. People will still want to play golf, meet friends and colleagues, go shopping, travel etc. and people will find a way to make these things happen with no or minimal risk to health.
Could just be the way I read it then because I did have the bit I bolded in mind when replying "If we lived in this permanent state of flirting between stages of green, amber and red... rakes would be something that could realistically be done away with"

Even as an island nation the UK has done pretty poorly even with the majority of the public supporting & cooperating. Imagine when it cycles round to the 3rd or 4th lockdown for the uninfected and the increasing number that survived it not caring a jot about how many surfaces they cover/cough & sneeze on

Economically the clubs cant afford repeated red/amber closure periods especially if they fall during the season, so they'll shut down, hence my point 'we wont be playing golf'

Thread starter #62
Could just be the way I read it then because I did have the bit I bolded in mind when replying "If we lived in this permanent state of flirting between stages of green, amber and red... rakes would be something that could realistically be done away with"

Even as an island nation the UK has done pretty poorly even with the majority of the public supporting & cooperating. Imagine when it cycles round to the 3rd or 4th lockdown for the uninfected and the increasing number that survived it not caring a jot about how many surfaces they cover/cough & sneeze on

Economically the clubs cant afford repeated red/amber closure periods especially if they fall during the season, so they'll shut down, hence my point 'we wont be playing golf'
Some clubs will shut (some in the next year), but even with a considerable economic and public health hit, there will remain a market for golf.

Slab

Money List Winner
Some clubs will shut (some in the next year), but even with a considerable economic and public health hit, there will remain a market for golf.
Nah; 'some clubs' were shutting every year before covid came along

A permanent state of repeated red/amber lockdowns with course closures that you described will result in 'many clubs' shutting down, many of us wont be playing golf. 'Some clubs' will survive on inflated membership fees. There will remain a desire to play golf