What do you make of Rahm moving to Callaway?

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
273
Location
Northern Ireland
I honestly don't think it matters what these guys use, they are that good they can play with anything, plus those top level clubs they use are much of a muchness between manufacturers and everything will be made to his spec so doubt he will see much change. Just changed for the money 💰
 

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
34,847
Location
Leighton Buzzard
Not sure it matters beyond marketing - Rahm will still play well with them

Callaway get a big name as headliner - might help him get over the line to winning majors
 

Traminator

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2020
Messages
3,944
It's of interest to me what clubs the top players are using as a generalisation to point me towards what's the best gear at the moment, for example if you see lots of TM and Ping drivers you know they're worth checking out.

But as far as one particular golfer changing brand, couldn't be less interested to be honest.
 

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
67,072
Location
Bracknell - Berkshire
A good pay day for Rahm, and a top player for the Callaway marketing juggernaut. We've seen some players (Rose and Honma etc) struggle. It wouldn't want me to go out and get a set of Callaway and I'd still want what I considered the best for my game. I am sure these "prototype" irons will make it to market (with a price tag to match)
 

BiMGuy

Active member
Joined
Oct 9, 2020
Messages
361
Think it probably suits everyone.

- TaylorMade free up a couple of million $ from their wage bill (which they then gave to Tommy Fleetwood), and still have Tiger, Rory, DJ, Wolf, Morikawa on their roster.
- Callaway get a big name to 'phil' Mickelson's spot at the top of their Player lineup.
- Rahm gets a boat load of cash.

Plenty of players have made equipment changes work, plenty haven't. Hopefully he will! Sergio waited 20+ years for a Major and got one a few months after making the same switch (and has now gone back to using some TM stuff).
Isn't Sergio a free agent now and using a mixed bag with mostly Ping?

I'm sure most pros at his end of the game will just hand their spec sheet over and get something almost identical to his previous clubs made up. Which will have probably happened long before he decided to make the switch.

There are loads of pics on the Web of various manufacturers RM stamped prototype irons from after Nike leaving the equipment game.
 

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Joined
Dec 17, 2013
Messages
1,273
Location
Kent
Unlike football I don't really follow whose signed with whom in golf. It doesn't have the same importance to me. Good luck to him, seems like a nice guy and a decent player. Glad he's on Europe's team for the ryder cup.
 

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Joined
Sep 25, 2011
Messages
4,883
Location
Rural Lincolnshire
I’m never really bothered about what clubs the pros use. Someone wins every week and there are a variety of manufacturers used in those wins.

I think the decision was 80% financially driven in that they offered him a rake load of cash and a signing bonus. The other 20% is down to the equipment as he would have tested them out and they probably performed similarly in most cases and slightly better in a specific aspect (long irons or wedges etc) than his TM ones.
 

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
34,847
Location
Leighton Buzzard
This is awful for golf, Callaway are junk and exist only because they play for tour pros to play their product.
Sorry but what ?!?

Awful for golf - How on Earth is a player moving to Callaway awful for golf ?

Clearly they have done something right with the amount of major champs and top level golfers they have had on their books
 
Top