What are your experiences of playing by the new rules?

Thread starter #1

MikeH

GM Editor
Staff member
Hi all

Know there are a few threads with some thoughts on the new rules going on but it'd be really useful if we can get some views all together on one thread as we're looking to produce a feature on early reaction to the changes

So, if you have played this year what are your views on the new rules in action...

do you feel like you know the main changes yet?
any new rules you are still confused by or unsure of?
do you feel the golfers you have played with this year have got to grips with the new rules yet?
what new rules have you had to bring into play?
experiences of putting with the flagstick in
experiences of new reduced 3 minute search time
have you seen anyone inadvertently breaking the rules because they're not aware of the changes?

thanks in advance

Mike H

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
I find putting with the flag in easier. The flag won't stop a good weight putt going on but will stop an overhit putt close to the hole.
We've got to grips with the new rules but some will take a while to bed in.
Not a fan of the new dropping procedure.
Not had to search for more than a few seconds so far and we rarely use the full 5 anyway so that won't affect us much.
Penalty if your ball moves when moving a stone in a bunker is a bit harsh especially if your bunkers are liable to a few.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
I played my first round under the new rules on Saturday, in one of my regular 4-balls; a pretty diverse group with regards to age/handicaps/usual pace of play.

I understand a primary driver for the new rules was to speed up play and overall I reckon we probably saved around 5 minutes.

Me

I took advantage of the 'flag in' rule half a dozen times - some lengthy lags and some tap ins whilst others were otherwise engaged.

I also had to take a penalty drop - it was nice to drop from so low, ensuring a decent lie in patchy grass.

'The Speedster'

One of the fastest players in the club.
This guy plays genuine ready golf so took many putts with the flag in whilst the slower members weren't ready to tend. He saved a few minutes to his own play but minimal overall time savings to the group.

The 'Tour Pro'

This mid-hadicapper lives for the game and does everything the Pros do including lengthy PSRs (hence the nickname). He faffs around a lot and won't do anything (check yardage, wind etc) until it's his turn. The new rules made very little to no difference to his speed of play.

The Snail

One of the longest serving, highest handicappers and slowest members of the club. He didn't even know there were new rules. Scored a 10 on a short par 4 including 4 shots in a bunker (could've dropped out had he known). Walks like a snail, still leaves his bag in wrong place, left his chipping club on the green twice. The new rules made zero difference to his pace of play and I doubt they ever will, as after 5+ years of us playing ready golf he still asks 'whose turn is it?' on the greens.

In summary, I'd say that the clued up faster players can save a few minutes, however the overriding factor is that groups can only move as slow as their slowest player(s). No amount of rules changes can speed these types up. Unfortunately.

chrisd

Major Champion
Most, but then I'm keen on knowing the rules

Only the one regarding red stakes, I've seen different info - can we drop the other side of a stream to that the ball first crossed the margin of

do you feel the golfers you have played with this year have got to grips with the new rules yet?
Not really, but I've already been asked to clarify rules problems that have cropped up in other games I wasn't playing in

Putting with the flag in is the only one so far

Personally i like it but I played a matchplay 4bbb and it ended a bit flag in, flag out, flag in etc as ready golf doesn't necessarily suit matchplay at all times, especially on the greens

Not had to use it yet

have you seen anyone inadvertently breaking the rules because they're not aware of the changes?
Not as yet but there are plenty of players not aware that there are any new rules, my own club has done virtually nothing in this respect to advise them

Slab

Money List Winner
I think I’ve got a decent general knowledge of the changes but still some way from confident if my life depended on it

Putted plenty greens with flag in, it’s a good change and definitely faster if the whole group are aware and use it correctly (it’s like using buggys, if you know how to use them properly its much faster, if not it won’t save any time)

Also flattened a spike mark on my line, didn’t feel weird as I’ve done plenty before (just not before I played my shot)
Had to drop from knee height (its fine folks and doesn’t require you to be a contortionist)
Ball searches never really reached 5 mins so the change to 3 minutes doesn’t seem to have had any effect (might do in a comp)
Grounded my club in a bunker to lean on it (just cos I could)

Can’t wait to move a loose impediment in a penalty area (given the amount of lava rocks/stones on some courses) but not had the chance yet
Just played the one course so far but didn’t see any additional red stake penalty areas being added to the course as clubs can now do, which I found strange and I wonder if other clubs have taken the opportunity to create additional penalty areas yet? (potentially a very good time saver)

Although to counter the above I think courses here will adopt the new Local Rule for Lost Ball or Ball Out of Bounds but I’ve not got round them yet to find out

Wolf

Played 2 rounds with the new rules and I thin a lot depends on who you play with as has been mentioned already

I'd say yes, have had a good look at them along with many discussions on here has helped that
I'm not confused by it but I still need to know a bit more about the new Red markers instead of yellow at hazards but doesn't often come into play at my home course.
In the most parts yes it literally depends on who you play with and their attitude toward the game though, sadly I've played with a couple of people that have pretty much dismissed the new rules as ridiculous and weren't willing to accept the idea of ready golf, pin in, penalty drops etc but those are minorities and I believe in the most part those I've spoken to and played with have a good grasp and agree it makes things simpler

Ready golf, been brilliant if your good to go then go, no unnecessary waiting around for your turn and faffing about.
Drop rule had to use and found it much simpler and can't understand how others struggle to do it
Putting with flagstick in
So much better and preferable option for me, no need to have it tended makes lag putting a quicker process, long putt, short putt or tap in I'll leave it in wherever I can to speed up but this doesn't necessarily make the game overall quicker that's still depends on others being ready to play, walking speeds and more.
As others have said its not really changed anything as social games only have a quick look anyway may be more relevant in comps through the year
Yes.. A pair I played with but it was a combination of ignorance and arrogance they admitted not having bothered reading new rules properly, they were aware of them but didn't see point so wouldn't apply them in their game

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
So, if you have played this year what are your views on the new rules in action...

Yeah pretty much

Not really - I don’t think there is any that should confuse people

I don’t think it’s really massively affected people that much - things like ready golf have already been in for a significant amount of time so shouldn’t be new to people

3 min lost ball and a double hit

As a club we have used this rule over the winter to help protect the hole a little bit more - have found it doesn’t really change much beyond helping overhit putts ( which imo dumbs the sport down a little ) and it certainly doesn’t make the game go quicker.

Still felt a long time but should be the one area that should up play a touch

Not yet

I think overall the changes aren’t really that “dramatic” and won’t actually have that much of an affect on the way the game is played and also how long it will take.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Played new rules at the weekend, and experienced 2 of the rules I least expected to have to use

On our 1st my club bounced of the frozen ground causing a double hit

On our 9th OOB all down the left, I managed to pull my tee shot, it hit the OOB pole 50ft in front of the tee. The ball rebounded into the teeing area, so I placed it back on the tee and went again

Experimented with the flag in/out

2nd hole birdie putt flag out, middle of hole bounced out

4th hole birdie putt flag in, bounced off pin stayed out

Not an aggressive putter, just my usual luck :rolleyes:

Not sure if there's an advantage or disadvantage with keeping the pin in

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
I've read them and read them but still made a drop from shoulder height last week.

Dropping by the OOB. Is it only in bounce games or can it be used during comps?

Very few of them have made any effort to learn them. Dropping height, search time and the OOB rule seems to be causing the most issues.

Dropping from knee height and search time

Personally, only used it from long distance. However, a playing partner hit the flag slightly off-centre but at a good pace for it to drop. Both myself and the 3rd player were overpriced it stayed out. We believe it would have dropped had the flag been out.

Have used it for a ball I was looking for, and have been part of a group that used it for their golf ball.

The drop height was broken a few times, and re-drops were taken. The 3 minute rule had to be reiterated on one occasion.

Hi all

Know there are a few threads with some thoughts on the new rules going on but it'd be really useful if we can get some views all together on one thread as we're looking to produce a feature on early reaction to the changes

Broadly so - but like some others, I'm a bit nerdy as regards rules. Would have difficulty quoting new rule numbers, but generally know most changes

Not personally, but have come across instances where others seem to be. One was about tbe OOB/Lost ball alternative - where player believed it was now part of the "main" rules rather than an optional local rule (which my club is not adopting anyway). Other was about dropping on "far side" of red penalty areas - which is not now allowed unless by local rule. (Which we only have in place on certain holes).

Early days really, but have now played 4 rounds and it seems that while most people know the rules have changed, they have rather variable knowledge on detail.

New drop procedure - good. Ability to move loose impediments in bunkers/penalty areas - good. No penalty for moving ball while searching - good. See one example of a "pleased golfer" after a double hit. See below as regards 3mins search time.

experiences of putting with the flagstick in.
I really dont see this as a time saver as putting with flag out takes no longer than putting with flag in. But it does stop the in-out-in-out flag hokey-cokey. Everyone I've played with still seems to prefer putting with flag out although everyone seems not to mind having the occasional go at a long putt with flag in. (The argument about whether flag in is more beneficial is a different issue and not related to time saving)

A few examples of ball searching but only once came close to using up three minutes. Generally ball was either found, or abandoned as lost in rather less than 3 mins. But ... at our place we are generally playing stableford at the moment. Will be interesting to see if search times increase when medal-play comes to the fore

The main one is people dropping from shoulder height needing a reminder about new procedure. And also them being unaware that ball has rolled out of the relief area. (Old habits die hard. Eg formerly one could drop ball just about 2CL from a red hazard - and was permissible for ball to roll up to 2 more CL. People still seem to want to drop at nearly 2CL - which is permissible but leaving very little margin for error if there is any roll)

thanks in advance

Mike H

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Played twice at the weekend,

the only rules we really used were the 3 minute search time, dropping a ball and putting with the flag in.

Searching I found that it's longer than you think anyway so no great shakes, but will obviously speed up play some.

Dropping was fine, meant the ball had less chance to roll off into a bad lie

Putting with the flag in has been scientifically proven to help hole more puts, so you'd frankly be daft not to use it. There is a great video which shows this in another thread. Also, over time people will just keep the flag in, so this WILL absolutely speed up play. Maybe not by half an hour but it definitely will speed it up a little.

Should be good, and I saw a funny video on insta last night of someone stuck behind a tree and using the 2 hit method to get onto the green, was very clever ;-)

Yep...I'm pretty clued up being on the Committee at the club and needing to set an example to others

No

The ones I played with in the medal in sunday seemed to have a good grasp and if they weren't sure they asked me!! also a good 60 of our members attended I "new rules" presentation I did back in mid December so hopefully they might have a bit of a clue!!!

All my threeball on Sunday putted with the flag in when it was sensible to do so. I've grounded my club in both bunker and penalty area and moved loose impediments (primarily leaves) from both. Also holed a ball that was wedged against the flagstick and was partially below the level of the hole.

Like I said we all did this in our group on Sunday...we even holed a few with the stick in but I wouldn't say that balls were holed that shouldn't have been or that putts were missed that wouldn't have been. Helped move things along when one player was having difficulties (played from bunker A to B back to A then back to B)

No real need to take advantage of this rule but in general my experience is that folks dont use the full 5 minutes anyway.

No but I watched one of the lads in the group in front hold out his arm at shoulder height to take a drop then obviously remembered and lowered his hand to knee height...so nearly but not quite!!

Other was about dropping on "far side" of red penalty areas - which is not now allowed unless by local rule. (Which we only have in place on certain holes).
For absolute accuracy...

You can drop on the far side of a red penalty area as long as you are taking relief where you keep the point where the ball crossed the margin and the flag, in line with where you drop.

It is the ability to take "opposite side relief", where you take your two clublengths from a point on the opposite margin equidistant from the hole, that has been removed from the rule book (but as you say, allowable by local rule).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Some but not all. Then again, I was not 100% about the equivalent old ones so no change there

Hazard areas, see answer above

No. They know some but all got the OOB, drop on the fairway wrong. They believed it was in play, applicable for all.

Putt with the flag in, drop from knee height. We never look for 5 minutes anyway but we were more conscious, and aware, that it is now 3 minutes so gave up quicker than usual.

Excellent. Helped impove the flow of the hole. Combined with playing Ready Golf we were no longer standing around waiting for 1 of the group to get close to the hole.

See above. We never took the full 5 minutes anyway but we gave up quicker as we were aware of staying within 3 mins. If you don't find within 2 minutes you rarely find it anyway in my experience.

Possibly but I was not sure if they were playing a social game or in a comp. It was the OOB, drop on the fairway rule. I think this will be the biggest problem as people believe it is applicable. However, I do not know if it has been adopted as a LR at our club and come official qualifying comps it can not be used anyway.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Played this weekend and all in all we were pretty much aware of the new rules. We did have to remind ourselves a few times to drop from knee height (old habits die hard!) and that feels strange at this point.

Ready golf is a super change, especially when you have a "faffer" in the group.

Majority but not all. I took 2 rule books one for my bag, one for work. I like the new layout, looks a lot simpler.

I got a general gist of them but will look in the rule book.

Don’t know as yet only played one competitive round this year.

Group I played with seemed to understand the basics so it went without hitch. The flag in was only taken up twice 30ft 45ft, rest of the time the flag was out. In both of those putts no time was gained at all.

experiences of putting with the flagstick in.
Personally I won’t putt with the flag stick in, I will ask for it to be tended if need be, as the new rule hasnt abolished tending contrary to what players on here think. I also think it won’t speed the game up that much either, yet now we can tap down spike marks which takes “time”, virtually most players wear rubber stud sole type shoes or cleats that don’t leave marks anyway so it’s a pointless rule and then you can remove ALL loose impediments in hazards, which will take time! So the time gained in putting with the flag in can be lost in other areas.

experiences of new reduced 3 minute search time.
It’s the only positive rule the R&A and USGA have come up with.

Not yet.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Hi all

do you feel like you know the main changes yet? Yes when I can remember them:eek:
any new rules you are still confused by or unsure of? No
do you feel the golfers you have played with this year have got to grips with the new rules yet? Yes
what new rules have you had to bring into play? Flag tending,
experiences of putting with the flagstick in Speeds up play in social golf, and more chance of ball dropping from over hit putts.
experiences of new reduced 3 minute search time None
have you seen anyone inadvertently breaking the rules because they're not aware of the changes? No

thanks in advance

Mike H

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Pretty much although our G&G has yet to decide how we will proceed on the new OOB process (i.e. introduce the suggested new local rule or leave things unchanged). We will know within the next few days as the meeting to discuss all aspects of new rules was discussed with guidance email to membership due.

No. Not really.

Some yes, but by no means all of them.

Dropping height and flagstick and new playing from bunkers in respect of loose items etc.

l like it a lot and so do a lot of others in our group. For long to mid-range putts I actually think it's great - but then again before the new rules I would often have flag tended when many others would have had it out. To me it always helped with judging overall distance and perspective and so therefore force needed to get the ball to the hole.

Not used it yet

Yes, from a distance I have noticed several others dropping ball from old height although it was in general play.