Water Hazard

Thread starter #1

Crazyface

Tour Winner
So, par three, big pond in front right of green. Ball is hit towards green goes past said pond but is drifting right and hits the front right of the green and is deflected right and backwards ends up just inside red stakes of pond. so went past pond but then is deflected back in to staked area.

Hope this is clear.

Where on earth do you drop the ball? Anywhere in front of the pond means the ball is placed closer to the hole.

Traminator

I know this will sound arsey, but you're not a beginner.

It's very basic, just look in the rule book under penalty areas, you can't be a regular golfer and not even make an attempt to look at the rules.

So, par three, big pond in front right of green. Ball is hit towards green goes past said pond but is drifting right and hits the front right of the green and is deflected right and backwards ends up just inside red stakes of pond. so went past pond but then is deflected back in to staked area.

Hope this is clear.

Where on earth do you drop the ball? Anywhere in front of the pond means the ball is placed closer to the hole.
I guess you already thstbyou may play the ball as it lies, go back to the tee or take a penalty drop keeping the spot where the ball enentered the PA between the you and the hole. As this is a red stacked PA you may also drop within 2 club lengths of where the ball crossed the line of the hazard not nearer the hole "than the point where the ball crossed the line of the hazard". Are you sure this last part cant be fulfilled, seems unlikely unless boundary if the PA is running around the green, remember you may take you stance with the PA to play your next shot. If you are sure, I would suggest there ought to be a drop zone.

Quite straightforward really.

The point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard is your reference point - and all your options follow from there...
But worth noting that a dropping point "green-side" of the pond doesnt necessarily mean it is "nearer the hole". All depends on where the hole is.

Thread starter #7

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Looking at the pictures, none of these are like what it is. BUT, I've had a thought. It's more like that hole at The Masters with the water over to the right of the green, so you can access the green with a straight shot but a slice could, like in my case, take you past the water but then roll back into the red staked hazard. I think backwoodsman has the answer. As the flag at the time was at the back right of the green and I was able to drop "green-side" of the pond but was do nearer. Can RF confirm this is ok ?

Traminator

Blinking heck Crazyface....

1. Play 3 off the tee

2. Play ball as it lies (you might not be able to do that)

From the point the ball last crossed the line..... :
3. Drop within 2 club lengths not nearer the hole, or

4. Back in a straight line with the pin as far you want (dropping within 1 club length of that line).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Looking at the pictures, none of these are like what it is. BUT, I've had a thought. It's more like that hole at The Masters with the water over to the right of the green, so you can access the green with a straight shot but a slice could, like in my case, take you past the water but then roll back into the red staked hazard. I think backwoodsman has the answer. As the flag at the time was at the back right of the green and I was able to drop "green-side" of the pond but was do nearer. Can RF confirm this is ok ?
Is the attached anything like the situation?
NB distances may not be precise but does it help? par 3 penalty area.jpg

sunshine

Blinking heck Crazyface....

1. Play 3 off the tee

2. Play ball as it lies (you might not be able to do that)

From the point the ball last crossed the line..... :
3. Drop within 2 club lengths not nearer the hole, or

4. Back in a straight line with the pin as far you want (dropping within 1 club length of that line).
5. Drop in the drop zone (DZ)