TRUMP, What the hell is going on

Backache

Assistant Pro
As your point on HK, yes I can imagine these people aren't going to go easily into a dystopian, totalitarian state. Yes they have SARS experience, 97% wear masks all year round and they have the added mentality of trying to beat the Chinese where this came from. However HK's population is so dense, who controls the death numbers released. The CCP, and they haven't exactly been good at that have they? Unless you really believe 5x as many people have died in the Isle of man compared to HK.
Hong Kong had extensive experience of SARS, it shut its borders early to China. It has a first class health service and public health system.
It's academics produced early papers casting doubt on China's numbers.
I would be very surprised if it's figures were not accurate.

DanFST

Head Pro
Hong Kong had extensive experience of SARS, it shut its borders early to China. It has a first class health service and public health system.
It's academics produced early papers casting doubt on China's numbers.
I would be very surprised if it's figures were not accurate.
You don't think it's strange that Mauritius has over 2x the amount of deaths as Hong Kong? Despite them only having 300 cases? And the obvious geographical help.

@Slab would be interested to hear your view living on the Island.

Edit: "only" isn't meant to come across insensitive, anyone passing away is too many.

Slab

Money List Winner
You don't think it's strange that Mauritius has over 2x the amount of deaths as Hong Kong? Despite them only having 300 cases? And the obvious geographical help.

@Slab would be interested to hear your view living on the Island.

Edit: "only" isn't meant to come across insensitive, anyone passing away is too many.
We lost 10 from 332 cases (some on front-line but I don't know the split) our 'super spreader' came back from overseas for a family funeral and infected others but overall the number of fatalities is (thankfully) too small to be used as a comparable number
I'm convinced our climate helped get us where we are because it kills the virus outdoors in short order (we can almost 'sterilise' stuff by putting it out in the sun for an hour or so and by having a sever lockdown it helped stop a spread indoors)

The gov moved hard & fast after the 1st positive case and shut everything down within 24 hrs and then escalated that to curfew level 24hrs after that when they saw the public weren't being compliant enough. Not even allowing key workers; essential workers only. Borders closed
No leaving the home and food shops closed for 10 days (afaik the only country to close food stores) After that food shopping strictly controlled

Today marks a partial return to work but all other restrictions remain (inc no golf) I passed through roadblocks and was temp tested before getting access to the office, so despite the gov announcing a wary victory we still face curfew restrictions for another couple of weeks at least with masks etc going to be commonplace for the next couple of months

This is despite 18 days with no positive tests and zero patients in the country... yup that means masks, temp testing, roadblocks, no exercise and alphabetical shopping restrictions all remain... with no known cases!

And we hear from Trump on the views of his 'CMO' - Dr Anthony Fauci - in respect of the dangers of opening up too quickly - Fauci's views are unacceptable. Fauci will soon be even more excluded from any briefings by the White House than he is at the moment (in self-imposed quarantine). And though I am not all over the US news channels - I haven't seen or heard much from Dr Deborah Birx (Coronavirus Response Coordinator) recently either. Oh joys for our cousins across the pond.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
You cannot compare numbers internationally as you don't know the age or health structure of the cases or the efficiency of capturing them.
Honk Kong doctors are neither dishonest nor incompetent, they had extensive experience with SARS.
Their numbers are almost certainly reliable.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Speaking at a rally, President Trump monologues:
“When you test you have a case… if we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases. They don’t want to write that.”

Mudball

Assistant Pro
And we hear from Trump on the views of his 'CMO' - Dr Anthoy Fauci - in respect of the dangers of opening up too quickly - Fauci's views are unacceptable. Fauci will soon be even more excluded from any briefings by the White House than he is at the moment (in self-imposed quarantine). And though I am not all over the US news channels - I haven't seen or heard much from Dr Deborah Birx (Coronavirus Response Coordinator) recently either. Oh joys for our cousins across the pond.
Who cares about reality and death.. the best thing is the drama of a WH briefing. The latest is the new press secretary - Kelly or Kellianes or whatever her name is. Who has earned Trumps respect by humiliating MSM journalist by responding strongly to their questions.

You cannot compare numbers internationally as you don't know the age or health structure of the cases or the efficiency of capturing them.
Honk Kong doctors are neither dishonest nor incompetent, they had extensive experience with SARS.
Their numbers are almost certainly reliable.
In a similar vein, India has been widely affected but the state of Kerala in South India has been a revelation on how to manage the pandemic. They went into lockdown first, they created Red-Amber-green zones to get open. They organised food and supplies to every household in the state. The state has a democratically elected left leaning Communist government!! While the rest of India is struggling, Kerala is being discussed as a model in UN alongside South Korea et al. Guardian carried a story this week with Kerala health minister (she was a school teacher before this) features
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-health-minister-helped-save-it-from-covid-19

“When you test you have a case… if we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases. They don’t want to write that.”
As Auto Sergie would say.. SIMPLES

And so when Katie Miller (Pence's Press Sec.) was tested positive after so many days of testing negative, Trump expressed bafflement and questioned the point of testing when that sort of thing happens...? LOL (if it was a joke - but it's not).

Well of course he'd question the point of testing as it inevitably increases the numbers of infected. See only back to March 6th when Trump did not want a cruise ship's 21 infected passengers disembark. There were 20 cases of infection in the US and Trump liked that number. He didn't want it to double.

If you don't count the numbers then the numbers can't go up. Well that thinking went well. What a ....

drdel

Tour Rookie
I see Rory has refused to play golf with Trump ever again.

I'm sure Trump is worried. Did Rory need to publicise his decision and get into a political arena?

Last edited:

Kaz

Sounds just like something he'd have said but this one has been thoroughly debunked. The problem with this sort of thing is it gives him cover to scream "fake news" whenever he likes and there are more than enough genuine outrageous quotes out there.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Out of boredom I watched a few of Trump's briefing on YouTube earlier. The guy is a total fruitcake. Why give up your time to watch/listen to what he has to say? He sure as hell isn't going to give any thought to anyone other than himself. He does not have one redeeming feature. And whatever he chooses to do the other side of the pond he will do. We don't even get to vote for or against...

gmc40

Head Pro
I see Rory has refused to play gold with Trump ever again.

I'm sure Trump is worried. Did Rory need to publicise his decision and get into a political arena?
That’s the thing though, he does worry. That is why every time someone in the public eye mocks him or is critical of him, he throws his toys out of the pram and acts like a 5 year old.

Re: Rory publicising his decision, yes he should, the more who do that the better.

What I find amazing (and not in a good way) is just how rabidly loyal his supporters are.
The latest "doctors and nurses running towards death...being a beautiful thing" was repeatedly defended on various Facebook threads I made the mistake of looking at.