TRUMP, What the hell is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmc40

Head Pro

Ye Olde Boomer

George W. Bush got a second term despite the absolute mess that he made of his first one.
It wouldn't surprise me if the diseased orangutan who presently disgraces the Oval Office gets re-elected as well.

Right now, pundits are saying that Trump might lose the popular vote by 10,000,000 votes this time and still win by a greater electoral college vote margin than he did the last time.

Appreciate your parliamentary system. Things may seemed messed up from time to time, but you'll never get into the mess that we're in.

The orange cretin is on TV right now. His lips are moving, which is the certain sign that he's defecating on the truth.

Has he published his tax returns yet /
Nope - but can’t really criticise on that front as I don’t believe that we in the U.K. have seen the government report on Russian interference in U.K. elections - publication of which was withheld until after the general election. Or maybe I missed it.

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
George W. Bush got a second term despite the absolute mess that he made of his first one.
It wouldn't surprise me if the diseased orangutan who presently disgraces the Oval Office gets re-elected as well.

Right now, pundits are saying that Trump might lose the popular vote by 10,000,000 votes this time and still win by a greater electoral college vote margin than he did the last time.

Appreciate your parliamentary system. Things may seemed messed up from time to time, but you'll never get into the mess that we're in.

The orange cretin is on TV right now. His lips are moving, which is the certain sign that he's defecating on the truth.

Not sure, we're trying pretty hard.

Our first past the post system leaves an awful lot of people alienated because their vote doesn't count and often never will depending on the constituency.

UK wide Tories had 42% vote share yet 56% of MPs. For balance SNP also misrepresented - 45% vote share for 81% of seats (in scotland). Both can then say they have mandates from the people but they don't really. Prefer coalition myself - tempers the extremes of right and left.

Not sure, we're trying pretty hard.

Our first past the post system leaves an awful lot of people alienated because their vote doesn't count and often never will depending on the constituency.

UK wide Tories had 42% vote share yet 56% of MPs. For balance SNP also misrepresented - 45% vote share for 81% of seats (in scotland). Both can then say they have mandates from the people but they don't really. Prefer coalition myself - tempers the extremes of right and left.
....Which is what the electoral system for Holyrood is supposed to ensure...

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
....Which is what the electoral system for Holyrood is supposed to ensure...
They are presently in a minority govt propped up by Greens if not in coalition, bit like MAY with DUP. But they did get a majority under Salmond before yes, which was not supposed to happen.

At least all voters votes count in some way via the list system......I believe.

ger147

Tour Winner
They are presently in a minority govt propped up by Greens if not in coalition, bit like MAY with DUP. But they did get a majority under Salmond before yes, which was not supposed to happen.

At least all voters votes count in some way via the list system......I believe.
Yes every vote counts. I'm not familiar with the exact calculations used but the principle is parties with a significant number of votes but fewer FTTP seats get more list seats that parties who have already secured a large number of FTTP seats to balance things out a bit.

Deffo seems a fairer way of doing things and ensuring that everyone's votes get represented.

As someone of faith - though someone who too many times falls way below where I should be - I found what Trump said at the Prayer Breakfast, and what he subsequently said as he gloated over his acquittal and poured out his 'hate' towards the Democrats, and such as Pelosi and Romney - and what he said about wives and husbands - just very sad. Lawrence O'Donnell articulated my feelings rather well ...

https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word...p-doesn-t-understand-what-love-is-78283333517

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

I've lapsed into secular humanism from the Catholic upbringing of my childhood, but if I were a man of faith, I'd have been quite offended by the behavior of our idiot president at that prayer function, whatever it was.

Who am I kidding? I'm offended that he takes us space and oxygen.

Had to laugh a little when I heard someone on US TV compare Trump's pomposity and posing when making speeches with that adopted by Benito Mussolini.

Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?
Well - in the ignorance or disdain he showed at the National prayer breakfast towards key aspects of the Sermon on the Mount - and hence towards basic tenets of Christianity - I think Trump is doing his best to separate church and state. Bit bizarre that I’ve not heard any leaders of the evangelical church in the US call him out over what he said.

As Joe Walsh said when pulling out of the race for GOP presidential candidate for the next GE - ‘Trumpism’ has turned into a very dangerous cult - and so he will be working to defeat Trump with whichever dem is selected.

Ye Olde Boomer

Had to laugh a little when I heard someone on US TV compare Trump's pomposity and posing when making speeches with that adopted by Benito Mussolini.
Trump was compared unfavorably to Mussolini.

He was called a "dime-store" Mussolini.

A "dime store," once, in the not too distant past, certainly in Mussolini's day, was a popular type of retail store in America where where common and inexpensive items were sold.

Trump is only one person. One very despicable person.
What augers frighteningly for America is the large number of troglodytes in our electorate who actually like that excrement stain of a man.
(I lack the articulation skills to describe just how much I loathe Trump and each and every one of his supporters. My first day on this forum, I was cited for inappropriate language.)
I have actually had to expel cousins (genetically altered ones, I have to assume) and former friends permanently from my life.
Some things are absolutely irredeemable.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Trump was compared unfavorably to Mussolini.

He was called a "dime-store" Mussolini.

A "dime store," once, in the not too distant past, certainly in Mussolini's day, was a popular type of retail store in America where where common and inexpensive items were sold.

Trump is only one person. One very despicable person.
What augers frighteningly for America is the large number of troglodytes in our electorate who actually like that excrement stain of a man.
(I lack the articulation skills to describe just how much I loathe Trump and each and every one of his supporters. My first day on this forum, I was cited for inappropriate language.)
I have actually had to expel cousins (genetically altered ones, I have to assume) and former friends permanently from my life.
Some things are absolutely irredeemable.
Trouble is that if you don't listen to them then you'll not understand why Trump is so popular, and therefore will struggle to do things to change their minds about Trump. Calling them 'genetically altered' won't win them over.

There is a massive danger (or I suppose opportunity depending on your point of view) that the US follows the UK model yet again. We vote for Brexit despite conventional wisdom suggesting remain will win, then Trump gets in against a lot of conventional wisdom saying he won't. We return a harder right government with an increased majority who were up against a well meaning but ultimately ineffective opposition leader who had cultivated a cult of personality echo chamber among his followers, mostly on social media. Trump defeats Sanders.

Trouble is that if you don't listen to them then you'll not understand why Trump is so popular, and therefore will struggle to do things to change their minds about Trump. Calling them 'genetically altered' won't win them over.

There is a massive danger (or I suppose opportunity depending on your point of view) that the US follows the UK model yet again. We vote for Brexit despite conventional wisdom suggesting remain will win, then Trump gets in against a lot of conventional wisdom saying he won't. We return a harder right government with an increased majority who were up against a well meaning but ultimately ineffective opposition leader who had cultivated a cult of personality echo chamber among his followers, mostly on social media. Trump defeats Sanders.
Interesting listen - James Carville - veteran Democratic Party strategist - reflecting upon lessons that the Democratic Party should learn from the experience of the British Labour Party. Strong Dem voting friends living in Seattle we recently met up with were pretty much 100% certain that if Sanders got the Democratic ticket then Trump would win. And in my view he also speaks a lesson for the British Labour Party...

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

This doesn't take two things into consideration.

The United States do not need mere incremental change.
People mistake the fact that we've had a democratic republic since 1787 as an indication that we're socially progressive.
We're quite the opposite.
We have the SAME democratic republic that we formed in 1787 with no significant changes--we have the OLDEST and most antiquated democratic republic in the world, and its inefficiency screams that fact out loud.

Try to remember that we still had human slaves in the 1860s. Did you? No. Did any civilized nation? No.
You have an excellent NHS. Socialized medicine is the standard for the entire civilized world.
We are the only developed nation on the face of the earth without some form of socialized medicine that makes health care a human right, not an expensive privilege.
The United States are the most socially regressive of all developed democracies in the world.

But there is another thing. Our democratic republic is under existential threat.
The present administrative conducts itself in a totalitarian, fascist manner and has completely politicized our judicial system. We've somehow become a grossly corrupt banana republic.

Now keeping this in mind, we must understand that if only people who benefit from Republican policies voted Republican, they couldn't ever have control of our government. Republicans gain public office on the votes of working class people voting DIRECTLY AGAINST THEIR OWN BEST ECONOMIC INTERESTS. They vote for politicians who pander to their racism, xenophobia, religious bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism. The working class Republican voter is a truly vile person. If I didn't purge such people from my life, I'd be making my own life worthless to me.

There are people who were once close to me in my life who would now lose their teeth if they arrived on my doorstep (now that I have a better insight into their souls). We've talked significantly on these pages about my belief in our Second Amendment, but the Trumpanzee is so vile that shooting is far too impersonal. What's personal is the total shattering of a jawbone with my still surprisingly capable seventy-three-year-old fist. I lift weights every day just in case that opportunity should come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.