Things That Gladden The Heart

bobmac

Major Champion
Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Knowing the next time it's this hot we'll have built in aircon and won't be being deafened by the portable units we have now...

Thanks @fundy - your suggestion that we'd use it way more than just when it hits 30 degrees persuaded us to bite the bullet!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
being reminded yesterday of a trip to Tain and Dornoch with 2 mates and one of thier friends, who grew up in Tain.

on the 1st tee the friend asked me how long i'd been a member at Tain, which at the times was about 6 years. "well i'm going to show you how to play this course its all about shaping shots and moving the ball" he says... he lost a ball off the tee on every hole until we got to the 12th:LOL::LOL:.

for the rest of the round and the next at Dornoch that afternoon he was asked on every tee "what shot shape are you hitting here"?:ROFLMAO:
A similar thing happened to me years ago. I had just got down to 6 or 7 and in the next weekend medal I was paired with two 28 handicappers. Right, I thought to myself, I'm going to show you two how to play golf. Needless to say I managed to rack up a 10 on the 1st hole (without losing a ball or going OOB) whilst they both had par 4s. I'm so glad that I did not say out loud my thoughts. I walked to the next tee in a state of bewilderment:)

Played the Old Course on Tuesday, wind 20mph gusting up to 40 mph and according to the caddy the pro's would have been off (fair enough, the greens would have been quicker and the ball would have been blown all over the place). Managed 3 birdies (one lip out eagle) (y), played to my handicap (y) plus:
On the road hole played the drive too close to the hotel and had to take a provisional, turns out it hit the new rubber roof and ended 5 feet from the provisional.
The 18th saw the first drive sail out of bounds but the second hit the path and end up on the green, missed the 30ft par putt by inches and tapped in to a round of applause to an onlooker (who presumably thought I had a birdie :) ), just a forum length 360 yard drive :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (only slightly wind and path assisted!).
Fantastic day out, never before have I had to "imagine" a slope to cover the impact of wind when putting like that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Finally got back on the badminton court tonight after 4 months without it! Had so much fun. Have really missed it. Played a lot of tennis lately but it's not quite the same.

With Melbourne so much in the news these days I have found myself reflecting back to March of last year with huge gratitude, when I played Grampians Golf Club, Dunkeld, Victoria (with the most bonkers old set of hire clubs...:) )

Just a unique experience - playing golf in the Australian bush with wallabies, kangaroos and emus around - plus fantastic birds, weird plants and shrubs, and warnings of horrid creepies (so I kept out of the rough). It was very hot so Mrs SILH only walked the front 9 with me. Ground very dry - grass very threadbare (though it does come back in the rainy season) and playing to sandgreens. And all to the song of the Australian Magpie - just so evocative.

So very fortunate that we had the opportunity, and so very grateful that we took it.

https://www.grampiansgolfclub.com/

Watching live playoff ice hockey - big screen TV - Lighting kicking seven bags of fertilizer out of Boston. Hopefully the start of a run to winning the Stanley Cup.

NearHull

Fish and chips from the chippie. Lovely bit of cod tonight and no queue
I will not eat cod. i moved into the Humberside area approximately 5 years ago and started to get to know a few people , particularly on the golf course. One pp, whilst discussing fish and chips, stated that his wife had worked for over 25 years in a fish processing factory and consequently they would never eat cod due to the large number of cod worms that infect the fish. Haddock is their choice. A second pp, who owns a seafood distribution company stated that ”no one eats cod who lives in a fishing town, they all eat haddock, we pass on cod to inland areas and keep the haddock local”. Whilst these views may be a little extreme, they have been sufficient to influence me and mine, we never choose cod.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
I will not eat cod. i moved into the Humberside area approximately 5 years ago and started to get to know a few people , particularly on the golf course. One pp, whilst discussing fish and chips, stated that his wife had worked for over 25 years in a fish processing factory and consequently they would never eat cod due to the large number of cod worms that infect the fish. Haddock is their choice. A second pp, who owns a seafood distribution company stated that ”no one eats cod who lives in a fishing town, they all eat haddock, we pass on cod to inland areas and keep the haddock local”. Whilst these views may be a little extreme, they have been sufficient to influence me and mine, we never choose cod.
Do you eat cheese? If so Google cheese mites. 😂

Kellfire

Tour Winner
You do realise the parasite attacks the cod family? And guess what family of fish haddock is in...

You’re having your leg pulled.

NearHull

You do realise the parasite attacks the cod family? And guess what family of fish haddock is in...

You’re having your leg pulled.
Maybe, maybe not. The default fish offered in this area is Haddock, if you want Cod you have to specify it. These locals have been involved in the fishing industry for many years, I will go with the flow, they’ll probably know more about the industry than forum posters.