The stock markets

Thread starter #44

Mudball

Assistant Pro
So if I had £20k spare that I could invest right now how and where should I be looking to put it?
No perfect answer and make ur decisions. All depends on ur timeframe and risk appetite

Short & low risk.. stay cash .. cash will be king and bargains to be had

Medium.. Bonds or Fixed deposit, cash isa etc.

Long.. equity esp dividend paying ones, index funds all will go up .. buy at regular intervals..

Thread starter #45

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Premium Bonds......even after the rates cut Lady Doon got a years basic bank interest on her investment in this month's draw.
I think I might have won the odd 25 quid prize a few times. Given my luck, not really a good instrument for me. Stock ISA any day. I know I will never win anything substantial in the bonds but it’s slightly better than buying a Friday night lottery

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
It’s all a bit panicky or it’s just a way of manipulating the markets to get a huge profit on the recovery... I hope the ISA managers do their job that they are paid for and mitigated the loss to a minimum and are prepared to make a massive profit. Would justify their charges.

Thread starter #51

Mudball

Assistant Pro
won £25 last week, first win in over an year and a half. Also thinking about doing something different.
I thiink if you have >£2500 and if u win £25 thats about 1% ROI,,,, so if u have more, then you are better off elsewhere. Ofcourse the biggest benefit is that your capital safe at all times.

jamiet7682

Any investment you need to be looking to at least beat inflation otherwise what is the point? so a minimum of 2% per annum, anything under this and you should just keep it in cash.

Thread starter #54

Mudball

Assistant Pro
is cash beating inflation then?

why is achieving 1% not better than cash?
Agree... infact cash will depreciate in real terms. Also when investing, dont forget to check fees - those pesky things eat into any profit (or make losses bigger)

jamiet7682

No cash isnt beating inflation, best you will get will be 1.5% and usually need to lock in for a minimum term to get even that.

You need look at risk/reward, if you are investing the money this means you will be moving up the risk scale so would expect the returns to increase, if you are investing and getting less than you can get in cash its pointless.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
No cash isnt beating inflation, best you will get will be 1.5% and usually need to lock in for a minimum term to get even that.

You need look at risk/reward, if you are investing the money this means you will be moving up the risk scale so would expect the returns to increase, if you are investing and getting less than you can get in cash its pointless.

thanks for that, never knew.

just to clear up, which is better, 1.5% or 0%?

Foxholer

Major Champion
is cash beating inflation then?

why is achieving 1% not better than cash?
I would have thought 2 reasons.
1. You can get 1% or even more as interest with ready/instant access (eg. savings) accounts that are equivalent to cash.
2. The risk factor of any 'investment' should always be considered.
Btw. Inflation affects investments as well as cash.

jamiet7682

thanks for that, never knew.

just to clear up, which is better, 1.5% or 0%?
on a pure return basis obviously 1.5% is better than 0% but you need to ask how much risk are you taking to get that 1.5% and is it worth it? only the individual can answer that.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
on a pure return basis obviously 1.5% is better than 0% but you need to ask how much risk are you taking to get that 1.5% and is it worth it? only the individual can answer that.
Perhaps enlighten me. How much risk are YOU taking if you are investing £10000 with a UK listed Bank?