Team marks own scorecard

Thread starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if you can help me out with a situation that occurred at the weekend.

We played in a competition in groups of four comprising 2-man teams. One 2 man team didn't show up however, and the team they were due to play with were instructed to mark their own scorecard.

Obviously this shouldn't be allowed, but what rule of golf does it actually breach?

When members complained after the round about this, the committee has failed to budge, and has let the score stand.

Is there a rule where once a committee publishes a decision, that decision is final, even if its based on an incorrect application of the rules?

Or is the committee still able to reverse the decision and DQ the team who marked their own scorecard?

If the committee persistently refuses to budge, is there anyone else I can turn to? The R&A, England Golf...?

Thanks.

rulefan

Tour Winner
The definition of Marker tells you it is not permitted.
Rulings given by the Committee are final.
In theory you could contact the R&A but I doubt they could/would be able to do anything.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
It defo isn't allowed at my club, twice in the past we've been put out in a 6 BALL [ under protest ], because a pair in an earlier tee time didn't turn up, unfortunately no marker was available to mark their card.
It was a nightmare , never ever again.
The council can almost do as they like, as long as it's within the constitution.

Wolf

Raises an interesting point then what about the set up of team events, we recently had one where teams of 4 play and have to use best scores etc. The marker comes from within the group. Also texas scrambles etc. How does that fit into the realms of a marker then?

Completely understand why we use a marker etc, but why then do clubs have formats where groups have to mark their own card.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
What is and isn't allowed at any other club is totally irelevant.

There are events in which this is completely unavoidable (Texas scrambles etc) so no one should get stressed about it.

Committee decision and don't make it an issue.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Raises an interesting point then what about the set up of team events, we recently had one where teams of 4 play and have to use best scores etc. The marker comes from within the group. Also texas scrambles etc. How does that fit into the realms of a marker then?

Completely understand why we use a marker etc, but why then do clubs have formats where groups have to mark their own card.
Probably because it's been a non qualifying event, no H/C reductions or increases.(y)

rulefan

Tour Winner

Golfers are honest people

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro

Not sure Texas Scramble or Bowmaker are defined as competitions in the rules so mute anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
That was supposed to be ironic
It is.

Sorry not used to rules officials with a sense of humour!!.lol.

We had one recently where two visitors were allowed to play in the seniors because two never turned up, they came second and received £80 each. Marking their own card.
In the next seniors two were refused in the same scenario.
The only explanation was it’s up to the committee.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Did the folk marking their own card win then? :)

Open events that are "best 2 out of 4" are usually good for a laugh. Once played in on at a top links on a freezing cold windy day in feb and a team came in with 96 points! Second was 86 :) I wonder :sneaky:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
We had 106 recently . Bit embarrased by it . We missed 5th prize on countback 😆😆
That’s almost an average of 3pts per player on every hole.
I found this on the course we played just not possible but they marked their own card ( see other thread) second was 88pts.
Jeez 5th with 106pts must be some very good golfers where you play.

Excellent points; and does it mean that the group "left", because one didn't show up , cannot play?
I know it isn't best practice to be marking your own card, obviously; but, is it really considered that a pair prepared to play honestly ( expecting another pair to mark their card) is now going to do otherwise?.
I'm as cynical in the outside world as any man, but I still believe there is a high level of honesty in golf