Supermarket Steaks [ meat ] ?

larmen

Head Pro
Last week I got a sirloin from Lidl which might have been the worst steak that has ever been sold. It looked good in teh pack with proper marbling, but once taken out and looking at the other side it was just the most fatty disgusting piece of meat I ever tried to cook. Turned out awful because the shape on the 1st contact with the pan just made nothing to be able to contact it, like a tent.

Today's try is a filet from Tesco and so far it looks good. Resting outside the fridge now and going into the pan shortly. Just searching for a youtube video on how to best prepare that one.

larmen

Head Pro
Tesco has reopened the counter for meat an fish.

So instead of 2 for £7 sirloin I got a £6 large one, and instead of 2 for £5 salmon fillets we got a large one for £4 as well.

It made a lot of difference!

Anyway, put it in the BBQ with some Webber rubs, and some Bratwurst for the little one. Best BBQ yet!

However, monitoring core temperature isn’t that easy. Looking at the steak it hovers at 45 for a while and then tickets to 58 and slightly overdone in an instant.
Same with some chicken breast which sits at just under 70 and then jumps to 78 ‘instantly’.

Beezerk

Money List Winner

So instead of 2 for £7 sirloin I got a £6 large one, and instead of 2 for £5 salmon fillets we got a large one for £4 as well.

Anyway, put it in the BBQ with some Webber rubs, and some Bratwurst for the little one. Best BBQ yet!

However, monitoring core temperature isn’t that easy. Looking at the steak it hovers at 45 for a while and then tickets to 58 and slightly overdone in an instant.
Same with some chicken breast which sits at just under 70 and then jumps to 78 ‘instantly’.
The Tom Kerridge BBQ program the other night said to pull a steak at X temperature and let it rest for at least 10 minutes, it will continue to cook as it rests.
My house is a nightmare, missus loves her steaks medium rare, I like mine medium, daughter like them well done 🙈🤣

Kellfire

Tour Winner

This is why you need to get a sous vide stick.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro

I buy rib eye steaks from Tesco that come from a farm in Scotland best steak I've had from anywhere.