Supermarket Steaks [ meat ] ?

Thread starter #22

williamalex1

Money List Winner
First rule of prep, cut the gristle along the edge into the meat. If you don’t the gristle tightens up on the meat and makes it tough. Secondly, if you find the steak shrinks at all it’s full of water. You’re paying for the weight of water.

Thirdly, don’t buy supermarket steak. Find a good butcher.

Fourthly, don’t buy supermarket meat!!

For many years I’d try the odd steak, whether in a restaurant or Supermarket bought. Disaster in the main. Faired better from a butchers.

Out here in Spain I realise how bad the dross is in the U.K.

Find a good butcher and prep the meat properly.
Lots of Horse and Ox steaks being served in Spain some good some not so good. :eek:

Thread starter #24

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Just ask, i only eat scottish beef lamb and british chicken and tinnocks teacakes.
Aye right Dave [ Rodney ] I know you don't give 2 clucks about chickens but C 'mon Tunnocks if you please lol.
Are you still a member at Machrihanish ;), we hope to play their the seniors in August, will you be playing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
A
Aldi steaks are better than Asda & Morrison imo
Asda Is awful quality meat full stop.

Waitrose do good steak

Wouldn't eat asda meat it's the cheapest nastiest cuts around

Bacon that never crisps
Rubbery chicken
Flavourless steak

The only decent Asda meat is their pre marinated range

Aldi on the other hand. Lovely

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
We changed our shopping habits during lockdown and herself thought the steaks from Aldi/Lidl were excellent...
As with any meat from supermarkets though, too much packaging...
If we have steak it's always filet and the premium range from Lidl are the best we have found. Also half the price of the local butcher.

Foxholer

Major Champion
I agree. We have a very good butcher in Bracknell market, another on Ascot High Street and there's another at a local garden centre. There are still good butchers out there and worth supporting. The taste is definitely different and worth the extra cost. One thing I do miss is the Ascot farmers market.
Can certainly recommend them! Always seem busy too, so plenty of others feel the same, in spite of Tesco (Express) almost next door and (now closed) Budgens almost across the road.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Also half the price of the local butcher.
My wife used to go just on price of meat as well as being lazy for shopping. However at the start of lockdown, our butcher was still able to supply meat and in a controlled manner when the supermarkets had let everyone clear the shelves. She also aggreed that although slightly more, becuase his meat didn't shrink, as well as having better flavour, you needed less of it so the cost arguement was lost.
She now (thankfully) buys her meat from him monthly and keeps it in a chest freezer in the garage.
As she finally agrees, the local man is better and if you dont use you lose. If it hadn't been for our butcher, many in my area wouldn't have had any meat at the hoarding stages of early lockdown.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
My wife used to go just on price of meat as well as being lazy for shopping. However at the start of lockdown, our butcher was still able to supply meat and in a controlled manner when the supermarkets had let everyone clear the shelves. She also aggreed that although slightly more, becuase his meat didn't shrink, as well as having better flavour, you needed less of it so the cost arguement was lost.
She now (thankfully) buys her meat from him monthly and keeps it in a chest freezer in the garage.
As she finally agrees, the local man is better and if you dont use you lose. If it hadn't been for our butcher, many in my area wouldn't have had any meat at the hoarding stages of early lockdown.
Sadly our local butcher closed down last year... Leaving the High Street without a single independent supplier of either meat or fruit 'n veg... Still got an independent bakers... But, not sure how much longer they'll hang on though :(...

Last edited:
We get a lot of our steak from Romanians who frequent the betting shop that our son works in.

Lord knows what he meat is as often its unlabelled but its generally pretty tasty and seems to survive the fall off the back of the lorry.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Aye right Dave [ Rodney ] I know you don't give 2 clucks about chickens but C 'mon Tunnocks if you please lol.
Are you still a member at Machrihanish ;), we hope to play their the seniors in August, will you be playing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Fat fingers fae bigslice, due to travel restrictions decided not to rejoin Dunes.and im way to young for seniors😜

sunshine

Out here in Spain I realise how bad the dross is in the U.K.
It really is astonishing how much better the food is in Spanish supermarkets. I mean fresh produce like meat, fish, fruit, veg.

Take something simple like a tomato: in the UK they all look perfect but have no flavour. In Spain they are all shapes and sizes, a few blemishes, but so tasty.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Called into Sainsbury's in Derby on my way home yesterday and picked up a fillet and lovely fat ribeye.
Got to say, the ribeye was possibly the best I've ever had, so juicy and tasty. May have to go into Sainsbury's more often 😋

Morrison's will cut you any steak any size / thickness, while you watch, not vacuum packed or pre-cut.
Previously they have been very very good, so I'll give them another chance.
We always buy the largest thick cut rib eye we can find, cook and split between the two of us. Since the Morrisons butcher has re-opened, we have found the fresh cut ones there to not only be better quality and nicer than the ones prepacked on the shelf, but often seem to get a bigger steak for a cheaper price than the prepacked ones. Very happy with the butcher counter in there.