Supermarket Steaks [ meat ] ?

Thread starter #1

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Before lockdown every 2 weeks I'd buy a couple of large Rib Eye steaks, freshly cut to size from my local Morrison's butchers dept and always found them 1st class.
I BBQ one within a couple of days of buying, only eat half for dinner and save other half for steak sandwich lunch maybe the next day.
Usually freeze the other one till maybe even the next week.
But I was a bit disappointed with the look of both my Rib Eye steaks bought last week when Morrisons opened their Butchers counter. Both steaks seemed a bit different, maybe a bit floppy and a kind of watery feeling .
A bit worried in case they have been frozen and defrosted before I bought them, is this allowed ?
I've just finished the 2nd one off a few mins ago and it was fine , a steak sandwich lunch awaiting me tomorrow.
BTW both tasted good but different :confused:, To make things worse the wife is a Vegetarian :cry:
Any Thoughts.

Last edited:

hairball_89

Club Champion
My wife is also a vegetarian. I share your pain!

I've stopped buying steak in the supermarket now. Can't put my finger on why exactly but they've not been quite up to scratch. I buy a decent lump of ribeye from my local butchers and cut it to the thickness I like and freeze the lot. Yes it's more expensive, but it's always better.

rulefan

Tour Winner
The problem with meat of any sort or source, is that all animals are not the same. We have always bought our xmas beef from the same source and the same cut. 2018 it was a disaster. 2019, perfect again.

Thread starter #4

williamalex1

Money List Winner
My wife is also a vegetarian. I share your pain!

I've stopped buying steak in the supermarket now. Can't put my finger on why exactly but they've not been quite up to scratch. I buy a decent lump of ribeye from my local butchers and cut it to the thickness I like and freeze the lot. Yes it's more expensive, but it's always better.
I did prefer Morrison's butcher for Rib Eye before lockdown, I always use my local butcher for other products, but didn't like their [ expensive ] steaks as much as Morrison's.
I'll give it a week or so and try again, hopefully it just a substandard batch/glitch :eek:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Even my wife has finally come round to butchers meat is way better than anything a supermarket turns out.
Our meat is only bought at the local butchers, you can taste the difference.

I can’t get on with supermarket steaks. They just seem to shrivel up once on the pan. even the expensive aged ones. I only eat fillet mind.
I find Costco some of the best meat and good cuts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Even my wife has finally come round to butchers meat is way better than anything a supermarket turns out.
Our meat is only bought at the local butchers, you can taste the difference.
I agree. We have a very good butcher in Bracknell market, another on Ascot High Street and there's another at a local garden centre. There are still good butchers out there and worth supporting. The taste is definitely different and worth the extra cost. One thing I do miss is the Ascot farmers market.

larmen

Head Pro
Earlier this year I had a phase where I bought a steak and then went through all the usual chefs youtube channels to see how to prepare it. Ramsey, Waring, Oliver, ... . Different cuts as well.
I did Tesco and Lidl depending on where I ended up.

Then one day I went to our local butcher and got a filet from there. £10 instead of the usual £4.50 to £6 for a filet, but that was the best steak I ever made myself.
Vacuum packet in a supermarket is just not the same as freshly cut from the local shop.

ps: Also living with a vegetarian, but at least she eats fish. The little one likes sausages and meat balls.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Can’t beat a butchers for quality and recently for price. My local Dobbies have Brogdale butchers in store as well. Over the last fe weeks they have had a whole fillet steak for around £35. Even now the steak is around £45 still cracking value. Bargains on all other meats as well. Freezer is full and to be honest get sick and tired eating all this quality meat. Craving a bit of beans on toast 😂

Thread starter #14

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Earlier this year I had a phase where I bought a steak and then went through all the usual chefs youtube channels to see how to prepare it. Ramsey, Waring, Oliver, ... . Different cuts as well.
I did Tesco and Lidl depending on where I ended up.

Then one day I went to our local butcher and got a filet from there. £10 instead of the usual £4.50 to £6 for a filet, but that was the best steak I ever made myself.
Vacuum packet in a supermarket is just not the same as freshly cut from the local shop.

ps: Also living with a vegetarian, but at least she eats fish. The little one likes sausages and meat balls.
Morrison's will cut you any steak any size / thickness, while you watch, not vacuum packed or pre-cut.
Previously they have been very very good, so I'll give them another chance.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Can’t beat a butchers for quality and recently for price. My local Dobbies have Brogdale butchers in store as well. Over the last fe weeks they have had a whole fillet steak for around £35. Even now the steak is around £45 still cracking value. Bargains on all other meats as well. Freezer is full and to be honest get sick and tired eating all this quality meat. Craving a bit of beans on toast 😂
We use our local brogdale butchers in Ruxley garden centre and they've
Always got deals on

larmen

Head Pro
Morrison's will cut you any steak any size / thickness, while you watch, not vacuum packed or pre-cut.
Previously they have been very very good, so I'll give them another chance.
I used to have a local Morrison's and I hated that shop with a passion. If the 'right' person was on duty I wouldn't even buy unpacked food going through her check out.
I know all Morrison's are different because the one we encountered on holidays in Cornwall some years ago might have been the best supermarket in the country I have ever been in.

I now have a local Tesco I like and the Tesco next to the range in Silvermere is even nicer. However, all counters are not staffed since Corona so you can only buy pre-packed at the time. Thats for meat, fish and cheese.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
First rule of prep, cut the gristle along the edge into the meat. If you don’t the gristle tightens up on the meat and makes it tough. Secondly, if you find the steak shrinks at all it’s full of water. You’re paying for the weight of water.

Thirdly, don’t buy supermarket steak. Find a good butcher.

Fourthly, don’t buy supermarket meat!!

For many years I’d try the odd steak, whether in a restaurant or Supermarket bought. Disaster in the main. Faired better from a butchers.

Out here in Spain I realise how bad the dross is in the U.K.

Find a good butcher and prep the meat properly.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Good prep is helpful aswell

Leave the meat out to get to room temp about 2 hours before cooking

45 mins before cooking lightly salt each side to bring out the moisture