Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

LondonOwl

Very similar at mine. We've recently had a letter from the Chair of Finance, thanking those of us who have renewed without question (which I understand is the majority) & reminding those that haven't that we have currently lost 2 of our 3 revenue streams. I'm guessing from the content of the letter that a few have asked what will be happening re subs/extensions/refunds & the response is when we are out the other side we'll see. I consider the club to be well run, the finances are sound so I've done what I've done since the day I've joined & trusted them to run the club properly. They haven't let me down yet, and I doubt they will now.
Pretty sure we are at the same club. I think every members club has to take the same view. Once it's all over, they can have a look and see where they are at. Maybe we get money back/extra months...maybe there will be a shortfall and subs have to go up. Either way, you sign up to be part of a club, not a customer of a business so it's rough with the smooth and all that.

Personally, if it came to it and they were looking (for example) 20% refunds, I would rather they kept the money and spent it on the course.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Pretty sure we are at the same club. I think every members club has to take the same view. Once it's all over, they can have a look and see where they are at. Maybe we get money back/extra months...maybe there will be a shortfall and subs have to go up. Either way, you sign up to be part of a club, not a customer of a business so it's rough with the smooth and all that.

Personally, if it came to it and they were looking (for example) 20% refunds, I would rather they kept the money and spent it on the course.
Yup, the money's gone, I've invested it in the club;;) please use it wisely. If we are at the same place I can recommend the quality of the stuff the caterer is doing, particularly the fish.

So before lockdown started, I was in the process of joining a local club, I was proposed by two members. I had waited for the mandatory two weeks before lockdown where my application was on the board for anyone to scrutinise and then a week later the lockdown started. I have had comms from the club that they have paused all new applications and I have not heard anything since.

I understand the difficult situation they’re in - however they have club admin working from home, I’m a bit baffled that they have not tried to come up with a way of processing applications to allow more revenue to come in at a time they surely need it?

I’m obviously frustrated because I want to be able to play there Wednesday, but also because I can’t understand the logic of it? Can somebody provide some balance/different perspective?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
So before lockdown started, I was in the process of joining a local club, I was proposed by two members. I had waited for the mandatory two weeks before lockdown where my application was on the board for anyone to scrutinise and then a week later the lockdown started. I have had comms from the club that they have paused all new applications and I have not heard anything since.

I understand the difficult situation they’re in - however they have club admin working from home, I’m a bit baffled that they have not tried to come up with a way of processing applications to allow more revenue to come in at a time they surely need it?

I’m obviously frustrated because I want to be able to play there Wednesday, but also because I can’t understand the logic of it? Can somebody provide some balance/different perspective?
I guess the simple answer would be drop them an email and lay it out as you have here, that you're keen to give them your annual subs and keen to get out and play subject to the restrictions they put in place and see what they say

upsidedown

Tour Winner

Poor show from the club , we've been doing phone interviews and had. 6 new members join last week

DRW

Tour Rookie

If the club is full and has a waiting list, then the clubs first priority is to its existing members and protecting the staff/members.

At that stage with the virus with so many unknowns, I can understand why they would pause the process.

Be patient, try to see it from the many paths that could unfold and view points & unknowns and see how things progress as golf reopens.

As a result I can see why the club did what they did.

I guess the simple answer would be drop them an email and lay it out as you have here, that you're keen to give them your annual subs and keen to get out and play subject to the restrictions they put in place and see what they say
Thanks, Sent a similar email over last week and received a response that they are looking in to potential options to restart member applications. Guess its just a case of waiting for guidance, understand its a difficult situation for them to be in, i just thought they'd be keen to get some revenue generated.

If the club is full and has a waiting list, then the clubs first priority is to its existing members and protecting the staff/members.

At that stage with the virus with so many unknowns, I can understand why they would pause the process.

Be patient, try to see it from the many paths that could unfold and view points & unknowns and see how things progress as golf reopens.

As a result I can see why the club did what they did.
Totally understand this perspective, just craving clarity on the situation - as i suppose we all are

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Latest from the club. ClubV1 site down for essential maintenance to upgrade its database capabilities ahead of tomorrow so hoping it'll be online as soon as I get into work

Govt guidelines now state you may exercise with one person from outside your household
The booking sheet will go live later this afternoon for Wednesday and will be based on 2 balls in 10 minute intervals ; The first tee time is 7:30 am and last will be 4:30 pm initially although course usage will mean this is under constant review.
You will need to choose Front or Back 9 and there will be a tee sheet - choose your time & book your name in as if you were entering a competition. ( It would be best to liaise with your chosen playing partner to book the same time ).
Members will be allowed to book one 9 hole round per day in the first instance.
Booking will be via the Club V1 app , although the office will be manned if you have any issues.

The tee sheet for Thursday will go live tomorrow morning, and Friday booking will open on Wednesday.
Please remember this is uncharted territory so we will need to review regularly and could change at short notice according to guidelines and course usage.

I get its a flexible situation so I guess suck it and see for now. I imagine Thursday will go mad when the Saturday slots go live

rulefan

Tour Winner
My club year runs from 1 July. Not short of cash but have just announced all renewals by 30 June will get £50 behind the bar plus 2 guest vouchers for 2, 3 or 4 ball rounds. And a cumulative 10% reduction for 5 years for the over 80s. All 'age category' (ie young) subs will be frozen for one year.

OnTour

Head Pro
Played my first 9 today at 7.10am 2 balls only and pretty empty, course in great shape guess it should be being shut for 5 months through winter. greens slick and ironed :-0

Hope everyone enjoyed there day out. seems to work nicely quicker rounds with less faff just need 2 ball comps sorting out

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Had a chat with a member of my last club. What do you make of this:-

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me.
What's your take then?

Traminator

The key bit of info, something about April, doesn't make sense so difficult to understand what they were trying to do.
Come again?