Stock piling , panic buying.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Did a Tesco shop this morning.
Its incredible how people can queue 2 or 3 metres apart but as soon as they get in the shop they seemingly forget what 2 metres looks like.
Add into that, they have a one way system to help keep spaces.
Why would customers bother to use it when the staff don't?
Why have "Team" meetings in the middle of an aisle with no prospect of getting past Managers and team leaders standing barely a foot or 2 away from each other..?
Complete waste of time introducing these measures for customers to follow if the staff cant be bothered......

hovis

Tour Winner
Its incredible how people can queue 2 or 3 metres apart but as soon as they get in the shop they seemingly forget what 2 metres looks like.
Why have "Team" meetings in the middle of an aisle with no prospect of getting past Managers and team leaders standing barely a foot or 2 away from each other..?
Complete waste of time introducing these measures for customers to follow if the staff cant be bothered......
i find it funny when you're walking up an isle and have a Mexican stand off with the chap coming the other way. I've also had people side step around me with their back against the shelf as if I have a bomb strapped to my chest

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Lidl trip earlier, v quiet but people still pass by you too close, no need. Having had this virus I don't have the same anxiety about it but still want to follow the rules.
Stock wise fairly good, just the fresh fruit juices that were out of stock today. Plenty flour, pasta etc.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
One advantage of Aldi/Lidl is the lack of staff to have time for staff gatherings...

Slab

Money List Winner
So what items were over-bought? (basically anything you bought when lock-down started 4 weeks ago and you haven’t used/opened yet)

We have too many packets of flavoured noodles (just add water etc) Very useful for quick lunch or power-cuts (not uncommon) but electricity has been reliable (just one 6hr outage) so they’ll go into the office kitchen after lockdown, & definitely get used if not before
Somehow I’ve way too much toothpaste but I guess that won’t go bad/off, but still a needless purchase
There’s also some bolognaise type cooking sauces that are still there (partly because meat/mince was/is scarce but I think we bought a few jars too many. Also some tinned veg/tuna not yet close to being used in the last month, oh and crackers, way too many crackers. Gawd knows why we thought we could live on crackers but there you go

We also seem to have a small hillock of crisps... but I like crisps

What did you go OTT on?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
We didn't really "stock up" as by the time we shopped the panic buying was in full swing and didn't want to be a hyprocrite and do similar.

We have ended up with more porridge though. The usual value pack of oats were out of stock on the first trip so we bought a pack of instant sachets. Same on next trip so some flavoured sachets as that's all they had (apple and blueberry and quite scrummy!) and then when all oats back in stock we bought our usual bulk pack. As it's not quite been porridge weather we haven't used as much as we might have a few weeks back!

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
We, as posted some time back, inadvertently stocked up on loo rolls as we both bought our usual 24 pack in different Tescos on the same day.
Halfway through the first pack so wont need any for a while....

Wolf

We didn't stock up on anything at all just bought as normal. Similar to Imurg though we ended up with a a surplus of toilet roll. Purely because my youngest girls are like human andrex puppies, but since lockdown the kids haven't been between my house or their mums because of her being high risk and pregnant. So even our normal purchase of toilet roll was more than the 2 of us needed.

GB72

Money List Winner
As the lockdown became inevitable, I started buying a couple of extra bits in each week' shop, mainly just stuff for the freezer. Most of that is still there as local suppliers have kept us well supplied on home delivered fresh meat, fish and veg. Put a couple of pints of milk in the freezer that remain unused since I found the milk vending machine at the local dairy farm. Will not be buying supermarket milk again. Ironically, the couple of bags of pasta that I bought are still there unused as are the sauces I bought to go with them. Basically the few emergency items I bought in case the lockdown tightened or my wife and I needed to isolate are all still there.

larmen

Head Pro
So what items were over-bought? (basically anything you bought when lock-down started 4 weeks ago and you haven’t used/opened yet)
We still eat pasta and use toilet paper we bought in January before stockpiling started. Same for Persil, but I bought one more last week because it was on offer again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
The flour aisles are still pretty empty here. Everything else is fine though. I got one of the last 3 Self Raising flour, leaving 2 for some other lucky punter :D, but there was no plain flour in sight. Where is Windy Miller when you need him? (if anyone is so young that they need to google him then shame on them :mad:)

GB72

Money List Winner
The flour aisles are still pretty empty here. Everything else is fine though. I got one of the last 3 Self Raising flour, leaving 2 for some other lucky punter :D, but there was no plain flour in sight. Where is Windy Miller when you need him? (if anyone is so young that they need to google him then shame on them :mad:)
Saw an article on this the other week. There is no lack of flour in the country, problem is that we generally buy very little of it for home use and most of it is sold on an industrial or catering level. With that in mind, there is simply a lack of ability to bag the flour in small bags in higher volumes and that has led to the shortages on the shelves.

hovis

Tour Winner
I spoke to an old friend yesterday. I asked him if he stocked up on toilet roll. he said no but he Baught 50 condoms. I asked how many he's got left and he said 51!!!!! found one in his travel bag😂

larmen

Head Pro
Saw an article on this the other week. There is no lack of flour in the country, problem is that we generally buy very little of it for home use and most of it is sold on an industrial or catering level. With that in mind, there is simply a lack of ability to bag the flour in small bags in higher volumes and that has led to the shortages on the shelves.
i think it was on the BBC page. It’s easier to get 50lbs than 1lb of flour.

chellie

Tour Winner
Shop in nearby town has bought a catering bag of flour and is splitting it into smaller bags so their customers don't miss out. I thought that was a good idea.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Suppose to be going Tesco after work tomorrow

Went online and saw they had delivery slot for tomorrow evening.soon as I asked the wife they went lol but noticed that they had click and collect for a Tesco 10 miles away (but isn't too out way if a take a detour After work)

Hopefully it all comes

However got this txt which was brilliant

Your grocery order is booked for collection tomorrow between x & x. When you arrive, please stay in your car and we will load your shopping for you.

IainP

Tour Rookie
I did wonder if working in the shop for many hours a week they become numb to it and just don't bother. Or think they're invulnerable and fancy a couple of weeks paid leave 🤷‍♀️

Tesco shop yesterday - 1st time for 10 days. And how different from last time (which was pretty well organised/regulated). This time no queuing to get in - they just seemed to be letting everyone as they arrived. Ok it still wasnt as busy as a "normal Saturday", but lots more in than previously. And hardly anyone making any attempt at distancing. Completely ignoring the marked one-way system, completely ignoring the two metre markings. I reckon only 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 were making any attempt at all. And I saw one poor staff member get an earful for pointing out to a customer that an aisle was one way. He got called officious and was told to "stop being silly - I'm only going to get some grapes". I had the pleasure of letting her know my feelings on the matter. Don't think I'll go back there again .

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
Sainsbury's yesterday. Apart from the parking idiot, everyone was fairly well behaved. As to stock, no toilet rolls, Dettol, scourer sponges, tomato ketchup, tinned tomatoes, limited choice in porridge.

Got some bits from the local greengrocer on the way there. Have to say that going forward we will look to use him, and some other local shops, more regularly.