Stock piling , panic buying.

Fish

2 Pints Max, Leaves The Third
I don't want to start a bashing but is it really essential that you attended 3 different supermarkets? How can that be right?
I did think the same especially with the irony of being a key worker 🤷🏻‍♂️
And jumps straight to the front of all 3 queues with a flash of the card 🤔

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Just back from my foray into the outside world by doing my now weekly shop at Sainsbury's. Very organised queues, trolleys wiped down as we went in and pretty much everyone keeping a reasonable distance. The only notable absences were eggs and flour, fortunately not on my list. The only irritation was some old duffer moaning about the size of the queue and when informed by a staff member that seniors had their own special times on Monday, Wednesday and Friday he replied "Well, I always shop on a Thursday". No pleasing some people.
Shopping on a Thursday is traditional with a lot of seniors it is the day they get their state pensions. In the days of pensions books it was post office to get the cash and on to the supermarket to get the shopping.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
I'm staggered the UK have still left food shopping as some kind of free-for-all meaning folks can 'pop' out every single day to multiple shops with the intent to buy very little

Other than work /travel related infections its surely the next riskiest activity given you're supposed to be lockdown for 4 weeks but thousands are still catching it!
Whilst there are of course still lots of big supermarkets, think part of this is a legacy of the recent increase in the amount of smaller local supermarkets where the model was that people would shop more frequently but for less, bit more just in time. Plus of course the government are constantly walking the tightrope of how much to strictly mandate and how much to leave to the common sense of the public. But must admit when I've been doing my weekly shop in a big ish supermarket I often raise an eyebrow at people who have very little in their baskets and think, did you really need to make this trip?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Shopping on a Thursday is traditional with a lot of seniors it is the day they get their state pensions. In the days of pensions books it was post office to get the cash and on to the supermarket to get the shopping.
But it's not written in stone. Even if the old guy still draws his pension in cash he was actually queuing at Sainsbury's before the Post Office was open.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
But it's not written in stone. Even if the old guy still draws his pension in cash he was actually queuing at Sainsbury's before the Post Office was open.
Cash..? Oh you mean those useless folded pieces of thin plastic in my wallet that nobody seems to want anymore ...:unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I did not say he was drawing his cash I was just pointing out that shopping on Thursdays was habit for loads of pensioners.

Sad that Tesco etc did not look at the demographics before deciding on which days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I did think the same especially with the irony of being a key worker 🤷🏻‍♂️
Me or HID a key worker. She works in a school but furloughed so not considered "key". I actually went this morning and as some have said "flashed the badge" at Sainsburys. No flour on the shelf at opening time. Had an option to go via Waitrose as it is on the direct route home. Again no flour. For those wondering gloved hands and FFP3 mask worn and social distancing observed. Apparently they are seeing the elderly in particular buying a lot of flour regularly (up to permitted limits) and some supply issues

Foxholer

Major Champion
And jumps straight to the front of all 3 queues with a flash of the card 🤔
Er...What card?

I'm supposedly also a 'key worker', but haven't heard hide nor hair of 'a card'! Though do have a letter from my employer to cover any 'query by authoritues' issue. Never thought to use it to jump queues - and woudn't consider doing so either.

Is it something you've taken advantage of?

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Er...What card?

I'm supposedly also a 'key worker', but haven't heard hide nor hair of 'a card'! Though do have a letter from my employer to cover any 'query by authoritues' issue. Never thought to use it to jump queues - and woudn't consider doing so either.

Many shops operate a system of letting NHS staff jump queues or they provide specific times when they have priority. Just show your ID and you're in.

Fish

2 Pints Max, Leaves The Third
Er...What card?

I’m too busy, but like you, only have a letter from various sources to confirm my ‘key worker’ status, although it’s a bit more obvious with me and doubt I’d ever be stopped.

But it’s a good idea for the NHS & aged to have a time slot or be able to jump queues.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Great story coming out of Australia in the last few days
A chancer, with the help of a syndicate of around 20 people, stockpiled thousands of loo rolls and hundreds of bottles of hand sanitizer to sell for profit on Ebay.
Ebay moved quite quickly to shut down these kind of accounts so he had nowhere to sell it.
He tried to return his "stock" to the shop in question who, in no uncertain terms, told him where he could stick it.
Up Yours Mate(y)(y):ROFLMAO:

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
State Pensions have not been paid in cash for 15 years now so any male pensioner who had been in the habit of collecting his in cash would, by now, be over 80.
State pensions are still paid in cash to those who request it using a Post Office Card Account.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
After the Morrisons home delivery issues where we got less than half of what ordered, we decided to try Asda and pretty much everything we ordered was delivered so good to see. It was a bit tight for us considering the Morrisons order was so short but we don't want to take a chance at the moment. Also Asda was only about a week to deliver.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Herself, just back from Aldi, saying how impressed she is with all the new measures they've put in place... Lots of additional screening at the checkouts and strictly monitoring numbers in store... Also noted, if distancing measures are still in place come winter (which seems ever more likely) queuing in a wet and windy car park won't be a great gig...