Stock piling , panic buying.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
We did the same as last week... Went into the town centre Lidl... I doubt, including us, there were dozen shoppers in there... Even allowing we were shopping for two lots of neighbours as well as ourselves and dealing with self checkouts... We were in there 25mins tops... Probably less... Downside being the lug back to the car park 😞...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
We did the same as last week... Went into the town centre Lidl... I doubt, including us, there were dozen shoppers in there... Even allowing we were shopping for two lots of neighbours as well as ourselves and dealing with self checkouts... We were in there 25mins tops... Probably less... Downside being the lug back to the car park 😞...
Did they have any social distancing measures in place? We shopped a couple of weeks ago, and need to go next week, but were concerned they had nothing in place. Aldi, which we drove past, had people queueing outside so assume they were running a one out, one in system.

chellie

Tour Winner
Did they have any social distancing measures in place? We shopped a couple of weeks ago, and need to go next week, but were concerned they had nothing in place. Aldi, which we drove past, had people queueing outside so assume they were running a one out, one in system.
I've been to both Aldi and Lidl near us. Aldi, queueing to get in and one in one out. However, too many in store and difficult to maintain distance. Couldn't wait to get out. Todays very quick visit to Aldi was far better as far less people in. Lidl, no queueing but went earlier in the morning. Went to the bigger Lidl as it's more spacious. Only the odd person not doing the distancing.

Still don't like it and feel very uneasy in the store.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
I've been to both Aldi and Lidl near us. Aldi, queueing to get in and one in one out. However, too many in store and difficult to maintain distance. Couldn't wait to get out. Todays very quick visit to Aldi was far better as far less people in. Lidl, no queueing but went earlier in the morning. Went to the bigger Lidl as it's more spacious. Only the odd person not doing the distancing.

Yes I was the same 2 weeks ago so would be worse now. I was surprised how vulnerable I felt. Might just manage at the small Budgens in the next village who are trying to social distance customers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer

HID has now got a tad of protection in the form of surgical masks. Not FFP3 and according to many (me to a degree) not worth the effort but with this on and her protective gloves she does feel she's a tad more protected in supermarkets as most around here don't seem to have customers that can understand the principles of social distancing. For getting in and out quickly our local Aldi has been pretty good and has had the markings outside and inside

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Very much so... Lots of lines indicating 2m gapping... Whether the customers take any notice I can't say as each time we've been the shop has been near empty...

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Done a shop at a food warehouse (online collect it Friday)

Milk and bread normal prices same as supermarkets

4kg of chicken for £16 (min order) tbh cheaper down meat market but not going ATM

15kg of potatoes £9, will bag that up and split between our house, parents and in law's

Not bad , they give you 30 min slot and have it ready for you to collect so will shove in car and off I trott

williamalex1

Money List Winner
We received our first home delivery from Tesco this evening, the wife was really impressed. Everything just as she asked and no substitute items, and delighted with her salad stuff.
This could be a permanent arrangement, yippee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I try do to my shopping at a time when I have learnt the shops will be reasonably empty eg 7.30 in the evening. It is still quite obvious that there are a certain things I am never going to get shopping in that way e.g Alcohol hand gel.

I would like to keep just one in the car so I can clean my hands as soon as I return to it.

The funny thing was I bought an antiViral cleaner last night and used that. When I read the instructions this morning - if contacted on skin wash off immediately.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
HID has now got a tad of protection in the form of surgical masks. Not FFP3 and according to many (me to a degree) not worth the effort
I agree with that. The advice from the off from the medical experts was that wearing the type of masks that most people can buy are a waste of time - they will not stop the virus and may cause you to touch your face. I know from experience of having to wear them with my wife's illness (protecting her from me when she had a chest infection) that ones that tie round the neck constantly slip.

What I noticed when shopping last night it was mainly people wearing masks that were not maintaining social distance.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Just back from my foray into the outside world by doing my now weekly shop at Sainsbury's. Very organised queues, trolleys wiped down as we went in and pretty much everyone keeping a reasonable distance. The only notable absences were eggs and flour, fortunately not on my list. The only irritation was some old duffer moaning about the size of the queue and when informed by a staff member that seniors had their own special times on Monday, Wednesday and Friday he replied "Well, I always shop on a Thursday". No pleasing some people.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Just back from my foray into the outside world by doing my now weekly shop at Sainsbury's. Very organised queues, trolleys wiped down as we went in and pretty much everyone keeping a reasonable distance. The only notable absences were eggs and flour, fortunately not on my list. The only irritation was some old duffer moaning about the size of the queue and when informed by a staff member that seniors had their own special times on Monday, Wednesday and Friday he replied "Well, I always shop on a Thursday". No pleasing some people.
Had a very similar experience in Sainsburys this morning. Bit of queuing with a few old boys and girls in the queue. I thought the same, why are they not coming on the days when the old uns get let in an hour before everyone else instead of queuing with everyone. Security guard told me to come in the afternoon in future as no queues and just as well stocked as in the mornings. Also still a few couples came along and got a bit upperty when told then could not shop together. Was very well stocked, bog roll and pasta almost back to normal, just the tinned stuff aisle that was still mostly empty. Plenty of eggs.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Picked up My order from the local food warehouse

Great dates on milk and bread

15kg of potatoes for £9. Kept half for us and bagged up the other half into 3 bags one for in-laws , one for my parents one for my sister

Also 4kg of chicken in 1kg boxes. Useful giving 1kg to my in laws as their out freeze 2 for next week

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit to the supermarket today for youngest daughter and family and us. It's a nightmare doing two lots of shopping in one trip I've decided. Went early afternoon. (all shops not far from each other) Queuing around Lidl so onto Morrisons. Even worse queue so onto Aldi. Seven in front but one in and one out and I was in quickly. Couldn't get garlic and ketchup for daughter. Forgot skimmed milk for myself. On the whole the store was well stocked and there weren't many numpties in ignoring the social distancing. One man was only buying a small punnet of raspberries:rolleyes:

Slab

Money List Winner
I'm staggered the UK have still left food shopping as some kind of free-for-all meaning folks can 'pop' out every single day to multiple shops with the intent to buy very little

Other than work /travel related infections its surely the next riskiest activity given you're supposed to be lockdown for 4 weeks but thousands are still catching it!