Stock piling , panic buying.

Nope. Nothing.

Besides - the panic buyers can panic buy. It's frankly just a bit selfish, and a bit daft as it's not as if there is an actual shortage of anything (other than temporarily due to the panic buying) - or a risk to the supply chain of many things (though I have heard that some manufacturers of some generic common drugs/medicines may be limiting exports - just to make sure 'home' is fully provisioned). But people will be people. Once the panic buyers have their stockpiles of whatever - the shelves will refill and the rest of us can get on with buying as normal - as will the PBs.

Someone I played with this morning has a wife who works at the local Sainsbury's and reckons they're taking Christmas week type money so clearly they are doing alright from the panic buying. HID went to do the weekly shop and got there at opening time assuming the shelves would be rapidly emptied. Already a queue outside the door and loo rolls, dried stuff like pasta and paracetamol stripped in minutes. Daft
Pasta cleared from the shelves that remain groaning under the weight of pasta sauces :)

Must admit... did buy extra paracetamol and neurophen .. took it to the till and it seems there is an upper limit and you can’t buy more than 2 packs of each at a time.. so had to go around and use a different till.

Only other panic things was Dettol - liquid, wipes, handwash and sprays. The Dettol liquid was from Costco and it comes in 4L pack. I could swim in it. The only thing not got (and probably the most urgent) is handsanitiser - but can’t find them for love nor money ..

All these would last, so not concerned about it. No panic on the food side
In my experience supermarkets have a two packet limit at any time.

Did a normal half weekly shop today and bought normal. Tesco felt normal as well with the exception of the pasta isle which was near empty and the toilet roll/kitchen roll isle which was totally empty.

We are OK for those anyway as I buy a couple of packs of spaghetti every time I am at Lidl, and I always buy a pack of toilet paper when the good one is on offer. So I ‘panick bought’ them with foresight over the last couple of month, just by chance.
Also have lots of Persil for the same reason.

What I don’t understand is why it is ‘always’ toilet paper? This was the 1st item stocked up for Brexit as well.
I heard that this time it could have been down to reporting of a 4 roll limit for shoppers in Australia. But I think what might have been forgotten by those reacting to that news is that in Oz distances are vast and so supplies (of such as toilet paper - but of anything) may not be replenished as easily or as quickly since the distribution centres can be very many miles away.

The same idiot woman in our office who last week was complaining bitterly to all and sundry about idiots panic-buying has just proudly admitted she got to Tescos at 7am on Saturday morning and bought 4 x 24 rolls of toilet paper and two huge packages of bottled water. And claimed she was just being sensible.

She's now really got the hump because someone asked her if her pot or kettle were black enough.

Grant85

Head Pro
Who's doing it? Why are you doing it?
I find myself buying stuff I don't need right now because when I do the shops might not have any!!
It's stupid and selfish.

I remember about 3 years ago there was a big snowfall in March. It was obvious there was going to be a shortage of milk / fresh produce.

On day 1 I walked round to Aldi in the snow and got a bag full of stuff for a couple of nice meals as I would be working from home and not going into town.

The 2nd day I went back round (it was obvious by this time shops weren't getting all the deliveries) there was 2 woman with a trolley full of as many litres of milk as it would hold. Probably 50 litres of milk. Basically cleared out the supply for the whole shop.
Don't really care about their situation, whether they were running a care home or a nursery, buying to sell on or to give to friends / neighbours etc. it was stunningly selfish to think this was acceptable behaviour.

At times like this everyone has to moderate their behaviour and ultimately everyone has to be careful with their resources and accept you might have to make things last a bit longer.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
It's stupid and selfish.

I remember about 3 years ago there was a big snowfall in March. It was obvious there was going to be a shortage of milk / fresh produce.

On day 1 I walked round to Aldi in the snow and got a bag full of stuff for a couple of nice meals as I would be working from home and not going into town.

The 2nd day I went back round (it was obvious by this time shops weren't getting all the deliveries) there was 2 woman with a trolley full of as many litres of milk as it would hold. Probably 50 litres of milk. Basically cleared out the supply for the whole shop.
Don't really care about their situation, whether they were running a care home or a nursery, buying to sell on or to give to friends / neighbours etc. it was stunningly selfish to think this was acceptable behaviour.

At times like this everyone has to moderate their behaviour and ultimately everyone has to be careful with their resources and accept you might have to make things last a bit longer.
Isn’t that selfish if you don’t know their motives?
What’s the difference between 50 households buying 1 Litre of milk each and those 2 women buying on behalf of 50 households and saving 48 trips to the shop?

Or maybe it was for a care home and their supplier had failed to deliver meaning those women risked a journey to ensure vulnerable, sick people were cared for!

By the way, I totally agree if it was for themselves or they were selling it on for a profit, but without knowing the reason it’s unfair to judge and condemn.

Grant85

Head Pro
Isn’t that selfish if you don’t know their motives?
What’s the difference between 50 households buying 1 Litre of milk each and those 2 women buying on behalf of 50 households and saving 48 trips to the shop?

Or maybe it was for a care home and their supplier had failed to deliver meaning those women risked a journey to ensure vulnerable, sick people were cared for!

By the way, I totally agree if it was for themselves or they were selling it on for a profit, but without knowing the reason it’s unfair to judge and condemn.
Like I said, doesn't matter their motives. They were ensuring that their immediate circle would be ok.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Called into Aldi for a few bits and bobs. £4.68s worth.Anyway I asked the checkout girl how’s the panic buying going on. She said yesterday was just mental. Although looking at the shelves. You would not of guessed.

Don't usually shop in Tesco, but went in there for the first time in years at the weekend. Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, and pasta were cleared out. Didn't check loo rolls because we'd got our normal 6 month supply from Costco two weeks ago. Aside from profiteering, I'm guessing the loo roll hoarding is in the event of self isolation and not being able to go and buy any, although not sure how many you normally go through in a fortnight......

A woman clearing a supermarket shelf of the last ten remaining packets of baby milk powder - another young woman saying to her that she needs one - so can she have one of the ten. The women declared that she need them all and so didn't give the young woman one. For some - Keep Calm and be Selfish...seems to be the watch phrase.