Stock piling , panic buying.

For the duration of the crisis, our supermarket chain opens from 5 to 7 AM, three days a week, just for seniors. This is to limit our exposure, but also to get a chance to buy stuff like TP and whatnot before it disappears, despite daily stocking.
There is actually a cop at the door to prevent younger people from entering before 7.

Now, to be candid, 5AM is closer to a retiring time than it is to a rising time from my perspective. Being totally unable to sleep would normally be my only reason to know that 5AM exists. Those are the days that I watch Joe and Mika.
Nevertheless, I took advantage of these emergency crisis hours and was rewarded with not only toilet paper but about four hundred bucks worth of other stuff as well, this even with purchasing limits in place.

What really impressed me, though, is that everything was priced normally. Nothing was marked up to exploit the crisis for crass profiteering. People will remember the businesses who operated this honorably.

I think we might be back to 80% normal for the time, pre weekend.
Just went for a lunchtime shop at our local super Tesco, and apart from queuing outside for 10ish minutes I got everything I wanted, just some stuff in less than normal quantities, even while there was plenty in the shop (diet coke). They had some toilet paper, limited pasta, limited rice, but everything else seemed to have been at near full capacity.
To be fair, like most others until a fortnight ago I wouldn't even know where to look for hand sanitiser so this is likely out, but soap was available too.

Because of their some out - some in policy, had to queue for 45 minutes to get into our Tesco today - but then, it was sunny, and I had nothing better to do. The queue actually looked massive until you realised quite how strung out it was.

Was lovely inside though - would consider queuing every time if you could shop without any crowds. Got pretty much everything we wanted/needed although there seemed to be some strange gaps - often for strange items. Main gripe is who keeps taking all the flour? And Mrs B only likes one brand of tea - and they only had teeny tiny little boxes of them or an enormous sackful. So we're now sorted for tea bags until Christmas. Otherwise can probably now stay safe inside Castle Backwoods & avoid shops for the best part of a fortnight.

Ps: dont tell anyone else, but they had those "things" - you know, the ones that come out of chickens ...

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Because of their some out - some in policy, had to queue for 45 minutes to get into our Tesco today - but then, it was sunny, and I had nothing better to do. The queue actually looked massive until you realised quite how strung out it was.

Was lovely inside though - would consider queuing every time if you could shop without any crowds. Got pretty much everything we wanted/needed although there seemed to be some strange gaps - often for strange items. Main gripe is who keeps taking all the flour? And Mrs B only likes one brand of tea - and they only had teeny tiny little boxes of them or an enormous sackful. So we're now sorted for tea bags until Christmas. Otherwise can probably now stay safe inside Castle Backwoods & avoid shops for the best part of a fortnight.

Ps: dont tell anyone else, but they had those "things" - you know, the ones that come out of chickens ...
Been looking for SR flour for two weeks now.

I've been looking to replenish stocks of bread flour. Who knew, two weeks ago, that everyone made their own freakin bread.
They don't. They're all putting it in their cupboard and will be throwing it out in 6 months along with the weird pasta that they don't really like, the risotto rice that they can't cook properly etc etc etc etc...
At least the loo roll will keep.

We have pasta and rice meals combined about 3/4 times a week. We didn't do any panic buying and we are now going to have to change our eating habits if we can't get any soon. I did manage buy some egg noodles though, and will be trying that as a substitute for linguini. :D

We have pasta and rice meals combined about 3/4 times a week. We didn't do any panic buying and we are now going to have to change our eating habits if we can't get any soon. I did manage buy some egg noodles though, and will be trying that as a substitute for linguini. :D
As a non pasta eater (since the beginning of the year) I've taken to using vegetable alternatives and they are perfectly OK... Also cauli rice isn't too bad as an alternative...

Our local windfarm grant funding group has sent out a £20 voucher to every home in it's area to be used at the local/village food shops.
5 villages and a small sized town must have amounted to a fair bit of money.
Villages shops are playing a fantastic roll in this crisis, I just hope we all remember them when it is over.
Must confess that we could/should use them more often

So Richard Branson (tax Exile, billionaire) wants UK state aid for the Virgin Airline (registered in low tax Ireland).

Cruise operator PO wants aid for ships flagged out of Panama. !

If these businesses involve in tax avoidance and other tax exiles want aid then don't come asking the UK :mad:
I read that & seriously consider moving back to Sky. But then are their business practices any different?

My Morrisons food box is on the way.
It was at Hinkley last night, Glasgow this morning being delivered sometime today by DPD. We are usually last on the DPD delivery run so probably about 6-8pm tonight.
Has fresh stuff like milk and bacon on board according to the picture, 500+ mile journey, hope the main part was refrigerated.:unsure:

Our local windfarm grant funding group has sent out a £20 voucher to every home in it's area to be used at the local/village food shops.
5 villages and a small sized town must have amounted to a fair bit of money.
Villages shops are playing a fantastic roll in this crisis, I just hope we all remember them when it is over.
Must confess that we could/should use them more often

Like many in our village we have donated our vouchers back into the system to help the local folk bank folk target the most vulnerable (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
So Richard Branson (tax Exile, billionaire) wants UK state aid for the Virgin Airline (registered in low tax Ireland).

Cruise operator PO wants aid for ships flagged out of Panama. !

If these businesses involve in tax avoidance and other tax exiles want aid then don't come asking the UK :mad:
I didn't realise Virgin airlines were registered in Ireland although now you mention it it does not surprise me. Not sure why he is asking the UK govt for aid then, should he not be speaking to the Taoiseach?