Stock piling , panic buying.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Have I panic bought, nope. Hopefully am off to Mexico next Saturday so I won’t need owt for two weeks. But when this Virus reared its head i mentioned to Missis T I will get a few extra things in. It is things that will keep and if all is well it will get used. that was 2-3 weeks ago. No one batted an eyelid.
I kinda get why people have bought extra but to panic buy. I will bet there’s a few amongst the 16 million that are now quarantined in Italy had done the same and bought a few extra things.
back in the 70,s and 80,s when there were power cuts. Candles cost a bloody fortune, batteries where extortionate. I still have 20-30 candles in the garage I bought decades ago.does it make you a hoarder panic buyer for being one step ahead.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
It's ever so helpful. Can take it out the house. Down the gym I use a refillable bottle and take that golfing with me

However their great for company..ice cold water is much nicer than tap water and that's a fact.

You would be surprised how many people drink it. People always buying it at Costco because it works out 9p a bottle.

I like to make squash in it and carry on the course along with water in a refillable bottle. Travels well. Refreshing and cheap.
Just get a brita filter jug and put it in the fridge- cold water on tap (sort of). We always use refillable bottles and also use the Refill app which shows which businesses will fill your bottle for you when you out, usually cafes, pubs, etc

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Surely if you were to panic buy it'd be something important, like beer.;)

Maybe some rationing wouldn't be a bad thing for obese Britain?

Interesting to know as to where the boundary lies between "panic buying" and "prudent buying". Eg me & Mrs B tend not to keep much in the house - we go shopping most days & get what we need fresh, day to day. Ok, we keep a few staples in, but not that much. But we'd be rather snookered if we suddenly had to self isolate. So, if we did go out and got some supplies in, just in case we got confined to barracks - would that count as panic buying?

(Interesting to know, but it ain't going go happen though. Given that we live close to central London, the internet & home delivery isn't going to be problematic - even if a crisis does hit...)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Must admit... did buy extra paracetamol and neurophen .. took it to the till and it seems there is an upper limit and you can’t buy more than 2 packs of each at a time.. so had to go around and use a different till.

Only other panic things was Dettol - liquid, wipes, handwash and sprays. The Dettol liquid was from Costco and it comes in 4L pack. I could swim in it. The only thing not got (and probably the most urgent) is handsanitiser - but can’t find them for love nor money ..

All these would last, so not concerned about it. No panic on the food side

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Swarfega or Manista gets anything off your hands. Those silly gels are gimmicky and sold for bacteria, not viruses.
Point is to get the virus off your hands and down the plughole asap through vigorous cleaning, the gels are supposed to stay on your hands so no good.
At a push very diluted bleach would work too. Used to clean practice golf balls in bleachy hot water, hands spotless after.
Let's face it if u get Corona anywhere on your person, it's most likely going to get into you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
HID was at Sainsbury's for 9.30 today as her parents (mother in particular) struggle to get out and about through age and ill health and so usually go to the local shops and she offered to get a few bits "in case". Even going straight to loo rolls as the doors opened the shelf was empty and they had apparently run of of stock completely. Struggled to get her parents basics like soup and even pot noodles had run out totally in all flavours. It's daft. Glad to see some supermarkets are taking steps https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...l-and-long-life-milk-as-buyers-panic-11952749

larmen

Head Pro
Did a normal half weekly shop today and bought normal. Tesco felt normal as well with the exception of the pasta isle which was near empty and the toilet roll/kitchen roll isle which was totally empty.

We are OK for those anyway as I buy a couple of packs of spaghetti every time I am at Lidl, and I always buy a pack of toilet paper when the good one is on offer. So I ‘panick bought’ them with foresight over the last couple of month, just by chance.
Also have lots of Persil for the same reason.

What I don’t understand is why it is ‘always’ toilet paper? This was the 1st item stocked up for Brexit as well.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I too am confused as to why toilet paper. Does the virus give you chronic diarrhoea?
We were at Costco today and I normally pick up loo rolls from there but they were sold out. The back wall, which is usually totally stacked high, was empty. It's madness. They were limiting customers to two packs of paper towels. Lidl, next door to Costco, had none. I didn't buy any as I refuse to panic buy.
I was in Asda the day before and there was no bleach and very little hand wash, medicines and toilet paper. It's crazy.
As Lord Tyron said, the panic buyers will have lots of it, won't be buying more and the stocks will go back up.
To the O.P. if you are buying stuff on the fear it will go short then, yes, you're a panic buyer.

sussexhacker

All my local supermarkets are out of toilet paper surface spray antibacterial wipes soap hand sanitiser and dry foods like pasta rice etc

It’s a pain in the ass because doing the shop yesterday we needed a few of them

Considering stealing a big loo roll from work and selling it on the black market

Mudball

Assistant Pro
At the risk of sounding like a Waitrose guy.. Was in Costco and chanced up marinated Artichoke hearts .. 2 bottles of 1 kg at about 7 quid. Bought them and tried it.. Absolutely brilliant. I am going to start panic buying some artichoke hearts next week.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Swarfega or Manista gets anything off your hands. Those silly gels are gimmicky and sold for bacteria, not viruses.
Point is to get the virus off your hands and down the plughole asap through vigorous cleaning, the gels are supposed to stay on your hands so no good.
At a push very diluted bleach would work too. Used to clean practice golf balls in bleachy hot water, hands spotless after.
Let's face it if u get Corona anywhere on your person, it's most likely going to get into you.
Not according to the experts, the main thing is the corona will attack the lungs. To do that it has to get into the mouth or nose. Hence wash your hands regularly and do not touch your face.

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Not according to the experts, the main thing is the corona will attack the lungs. To do that it has to get into the mouth or nose. Hence wash your hands regularly and do not touch your face.
How likely is it that you won't touch your face with your hands, we do that dozens of times a day when eating, scratching, combing hair, holding a phone etc, or inhale droplets from an infected person coughing. Spreading like wildfire.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Today we ordered a Back to Wall Bidet Toilet combo- Built in Dryer & Spray- Purificare, bye bye :poop: toilet rolls :D seemingly its the way to go :LOL: