Still not sure.

Thread starter #1

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Smashed it for two on our 17th today. Anyway I was playing with a guy today first time. Real nice guy he was. So he goes on to say
" played on my own last week and on this hole the ball started rolling down a banking towards the green side bunker. It stopped when the ball hit a clump of compressed grass from the green keepers mower." He said I got to the ball and thought I cannot hit that cleanly so he removed the clump of grass. Said ball then continued to roll down the banking and into the bunker. He stopped it, replaced it and played the shot. But he was unsure as to whether he should of played it in the bunker, or just replace it where it was. I then suggested should there be a penalty shot for improving his lie. He said he had not thought of that. I asked a cat one player who said
" he should of put a tee at the side of his ball, removed the grass and then replaced the ball". I asked our secretary who said he is wrong and quoted rule 9.4A and B. However I have the smaller rule handbook and am none the wiser.
A little bit of advice greatly appreciated.

In short, the grass was a loose impediment, so he was entitled to remove it. But - if removing it caused the ball to move, he'd get a 1 shot penalty (under 9.4b). And if it did move, the ball should be replaced on it's original spot and played from there. But as rulefan suggests, things would be different if the ball was on the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Regardless of where the ball was, it gets replaced (grass cuttings don't).
If the ball was on the putting green there is no penalty, if it wasnt there is a 1 stroke penalty (as long as the ball was replaced).

Thread starter #5

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Cheers boys, the ball was definately not on the green. That hole is a royal pita. The banking will swallow any ball into the bunker as the grass is cut very short.
When I suggested to him a possible penalty shot, I said " isnt it similar to when you move a twig and the ball moves. 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Cheers boys, the ball was definately not on the green. That hole is a royal pita. The banking will swallow any ball into the bunker as the grass is cut very short.
When I suggested to him a possible penalty shot, I said " isnt it similar to when you move a twig and the ball moves. 👍
Did you note this?
  • A player must not deliberately remove a loose impediment that, if moved when the ball was at rest, would have been likely to have caused the ball to move.
  • If the player does so, he or she gets one penalty stroke, but the removed loose impediment does not need to be replaced.

Thread starter #7

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Did you note this?
  • A player must not deliberately remove a loose impediment that, if moved when the ball was at rest, would have been likely to have caused the ball to move.
  • If the player does so, he or she gets one penalty stroke, but the removed loose impediment does not need to be replaced.
I did cheers RF, it was me thinking that anything twig,grass that caused the ball to move was a penalty shot in the first place.

Thread starter #8

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Just a quick update, was talking to the guys in the 19th today re the one shot penalty and one of our ex captains was clearing the table and asked " what's a one shot penalty". So I explained to him what was what. He agreed. He also said " that if the ball had rolled into the bunker and he had played the ball from the bunker, he would of had a two shot penalty".
Would that be the case.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Just a quick update, was talking to the guys in the 19th today re the one shot penalty and one of our ex captains was clearing the table and asked " what's a one shot penalty". So I explained to him what was what. He agreed. He also said " that if the ball had rolled into the bunker and he had played the ball from the bunker, he would of had a two shot penalty".
Would that be the case.
Yes

Failure to replace the ball incurs a 2 shot penalty and would apply if it rolled even just a little bit and it was not replaced.