Staying hydrated on the course

Thread starter #1
Curious as to how everyone stays hydrated on the course, how many drinks do you take out with you?
Do you stick to water or sports drinks such as Lucozade etc or something else?
I used to buy those 750ml Lucozade Sport bottles and drink two during 18 holes, but not been out to get any.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
I have a 750ml metal flask. Fill that with water. Obviously it's one of those flasks where the water stays nice and cold for ages. That's normally enough, unless it's the height of summer then I might chuck in an extra 500ml bottle or something.

I don't drink enough water generally though. You're supposed to drink about 2 litres a day, I don't think I even manage half a litre.

Thread starter #4
It’s something I’ve been trying to improve during lockdown, drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Which is probably why I’ve been thinking about hydration on the course a little more.

When I briefly worked in a pro shop with a driving range and course, I was shocked at how many people purchased lucozade drinks. I only drink water, though every now and again if I feel fruity, I'll drop a dash of squash in there. And if it is hot, I'll definitely leave the water in the freezer overnight :)

I usually drink around 750ml - 1L over 18 holes.

Those metal bottles are great. Start off with cool water, end with cool water.
I used to freeze water in plastic bottles, but I don't really like iced drinks, nor tepid water after 17 holes.

I have a 750ml metal flask. Fill that with water. Obviously it's one of those flasks where the water stays nice and cold for ages. That's normally enough, unless it's the height of summer then I might chuck in an extra 500ml bottle or something.

I don't drink enough water generally though. You're supposed to drink about 2 litres a day, I don't think I even manage half a litre.
That's a fallacy. The science says this is the amount you need, including what you get from your food, a large percentage of which is water.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I normally drink water but also take bananas and a nut and raisin mix so I not only feel hydrated but have little bits of food to keep me going. We were all given one of these free in work during the Covid peak https://highfive.co.uk/products/high5-starter-kit and so plan to try one of the energy drink sachet in the bottle on Wednesday when I play 18 for the first time in a while.

Depending on whether I'm carrying or with a trolley I take a normal potter of water and then also one of these hydro tabs in a bottle of water. If i'm ever getting a headache or feeling slightly dehydrated, whether it be on the course or at home, drinking a bottle of water with one of these sorts me out. Use them when I'm exercising, after a heavy night, any time hydration is needed. The electrolytes in them are what is needed, along with the water. Plus certain flavours taste lovely!
https://www.scienceinsport.com/shop-sis/go-range/go-hydro-tablets/sis-hydro-tablets

Neilds

Assistant Pro
That's a fallacy. The science says this is the amount you need, including what you get from your food, a large percentage of which is water.
Not quite true, 2 litres water, .5 from food
In March 2010, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) issued a report suggesting an adequate total daily intake of 2 litres of fluids for women and 2.5 litres for men. This quantity includes drinking water, drinks of all kinds and the moisture available from the food we eat. On average our food is thought to contribute about 20% of our fluid intake which, therefore, suggests a woman should aim to drink about 1.6 litres and a man should aim for 2 litres.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Do people also eat on the course. I've found that the nut/raisin mix I take with me (unsalted nuts) is working really well if I nibble a handful every 2-3 holes. I tend to have one banana around the 6th and another around the 14th. Add in regular water and I find I am feeling much better for the whole round (or was pre-lockdown). I only use to eat the bananas and often felt hungry on the last few holes

timd77

Assistant Pro
I’ll normally take a bottle of squash which holds 750ml. If it’s hot and I’m not carrying I take 2.

I don’t go for ice cubes or putting it in the fridge overnight as I was once told that you hydrate quicker if it’s closer to body temperature? Seemed to make sense?!

Thread starter #20
I’ve just had a look at some of those Electrolyte tablets, ordered some High5 from Amazon to give a try 👍
I can’t see any negatives as they are virtually zero calories.