Sparky/Gas Hob Question

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Joined
May 20, 2017
Messages
6,405
Location
Yeovil
No.. i unplugged that socket and the chimney/extractor still works... the oven still works.. So that must be for some other point. No other big appliance going into that, since Dishwasher, fridge, microwave connected to other things.. I wont be surprised if the previous owner, ran it into another extension board. Fair play to him that the system has worked fine for 15 odd years.




So it is likely that it is the cooker switch. Does the cooker switch have a fuse or does it run via the main fuse. I know there is power coming into that double pole set up since the socket next to it is live.
It does not have a fuse within the cooker/socket plate, it relies on the main distribution fuse/circuit breaker. As previously said the first thing I would do is to check there is power at the hob. See page 23 of the manual but also note Manufacturers Code of Practice with regard to who should do this on page 24.
 

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Joined
Apr 12, 2014
Messages
1,293
Location
Hornchurch
No.. i unplugged that socket and the chimney/extractor still works... the oven still works.. So that must be for some other point. No other big appliance going into that, since Dishwasher, fridge, microwave connected to other things.. I wont be surprised if the previous owner, ran it into another extension board. Fair play to him that the system has worked fine for 15 odd years.

Because it only has a 3A fuse it could be something like the under pelmet lighting?


So it is likely that it is the cooker switch. Does the cooker switch have a fuse or does it run via the main fuse. I know there is power coming into that double pole set up since the socket next to it is live.
Nope no user serviceable parts in that switch.
 

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Joined
Apr 12, 2014
Messages
1,293
Location
Hornchurch
So i did switch off the mains and opened it.. nothing to see there except some live wires which have been taped up :) makes me a bit more worried..

View attachment 31468

Okay normally the supply is in the top of the switch so if that is the feed in the bottom of the switch you might need the big switch and the little switch on to make the socket outlet work.

It does look as if you need to get a sparks to have a look, or put it all back together and stick with the matches!
 

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
4,801
Location
Kent

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
4,801
Location
Kent
So i did switch off the mains and opened it.. nothing to see there except some live wires which have been taped up :) makes me a bit more worried..

View attachment 31468
I would venture to guess that the cooker point you have in the picture controlled the spur point lower down on the wall that would have been what the cooker would have connected to. The wires have been disconnected and isolated because that spur doesnt need power or it isn't there any more and rather than rip the cable out the wall they left it taped and isolated from the power.

Sorry, but without being rude I do think you are the blind man looking for that spoon he dropped. Either get someone in whos job it is, or buy a piezo ignitor to save money:)
 

Lazkir

Head Pro
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Messages
692
I would venture to guess that the cooker point you have in the picture controlled the spur point lower down on the wall that would have been what the cooker would have connected to. The wires have been disconnected and isolated because that spur doesnt need power or it isn't there any more and rather than rip the cable out the wall they left it taped and isolated from the power.

Sorry, but without being rude I do think you are the blind man looking for that spoon he dropped. Either get someone in whos job it is, or buy a piezo ignitor to save money:)

Tbh, it's one of the reasons I try not to advise/diagnose over the net beyond the obvious. You end up going down too many rabbit holes and could potentially put someone in danger.
 
Thread starter #52

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
1,696
Lick your fingers and touch it to test.

PS. I think this thread is incredibly dangerous. The OP obviously has limited electrical knowledge and should stop being tight and call an expert before he hurts himself.
:eek::p:p:p

Tnx all.. i have called off my investigations.. cant figure this out. Simply because i dont trust the prev DIYer

i agree, i wont know anything about wiring a hob... but a few years of electrical engineering did teach a few things - including the spit test :) No Sparky available to visits at the moment... At the end of the day, a lighter/matches is going to be good enuf till we redo the kitchen in 10 years.. Mrs will learn to adjust.

BTW, i also found 3 taps inside the cabinet ... one is the water main (though there is another auto/switch one under the sink) and 2 others which seem random. I am not turning any of these - its a corner of the kitchen i never want to go into again
 

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Joined
Apr 7, 2012
Messages
9,918
Location
uddingston
Lick your fingers and touch it to test.

PS. I think this thread is incredibly dangerous. The OP obviously has limited electrical knowledge and should stop being tight and call an expert before he hurts himself.
The wet finger test gives you curly hair, same as a dry finger will :ROFLMAO:
 
Thread starter #56

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
1,696
In all my years as a test 'engineer'. I have had a few shocks but I find that it straightens the hair.
One of the confessions i can make is that i found out about testing a 9V battery with your tongue during my college days.. i did enjoy it a few times.. kept me of ciggis
 

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Joined
May 20, 2017
Messages
6,405
Location
Yeovil
I've been a qualified electrician since 1966 and found its always better to do a dry run first. :D:devilish:
I learnt not to believe what others tell you. Stripping out all the wiring from a shop that was closed down we were told that all the sockets in the racks had the electricity
turned off. We we were just cutting and pulling all the wires. Moved to one rack and could have died, somebody had connected the lighting circuit (which was still on) in to socket ring. The cutters had two near quarter in holes in the blades.
 
Top