Snowflake Britain

therod

Money List Winner
No, I thought the reaction to that incident was ridiculous. When people throw bananas in a racist attack, there is usually a vast quantity thrown and they don't peel them and eat them first. A lot of people saw a banana skin land and put 2 and 2 together and got 6. Going miles over the top in reaction to something like that doesn't help battle actual racism at all.
Nor does justifying racist acts, ‘but what if he worked on a fruit & veg stall and got a banana skin stuck up his sleeve at work. It flew out when he remonstrated with a black opposition player’ it could happen. Lucky he wasn’t an iron monger 🤣🤣🤣

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
I just hate it when people are too quick to brand something racist or sexist, where there is none present. One example, a guy chucks a banana skin at the football and everyone brands it racist, whereas logic suggests considering he ate the banana first he probably just chucked what was in his hand. Another example is when the newspaper put a picture of Stormzy and said it was Lukaku - is that actually racist or just general idiocy from the editor? Branding everything racist doesn't help the fight against racism, it hinders it by diluting it. I dislike things like the 'rooney rule' or whatever they call it, where people say a black candidate must be interviewed for every role. Even if he's completely unqualified?? How would a black man feel knowing he's only being interviewed because he's black rather than the skills he has. That's just inverse racism.
Possibly the most stupid post I've ever read on this forum. You really haven't got a clue, have you... :rolleyes:

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
I just hate it when people are too quick to brand something racist or sexist, where there is none present. One example, a guy chucks a banana skin at the football and everyone brands it racist, whereas logic suggests considering he ate the banana first he probably just chucked what was in his hand. Another example is when the newspaper put a picture of Stormzy and said it was Lukaku - is that actually racist or just general idiocy from the editor? Branding everything racist doesn't help the fight against racism, it hinders it by diluting it. I dislike things like the 'rooney rule' or whatever they call it, where people say a black candidate must be interviewed for every role. Even if he's completely unqualified?? How would a black man feel knowing he's only being interviewed because he's black rather than the skills he has. That's just inverse racism.

The Rooney Rule really does wind a lot of people in the NFL up nowadays. It was named for the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers who came up with the idea at an NFL Executive Meeting some 20 years ago. The premise was a good one, to involve more minorities in the coaching hierarchy of the NFL.

We have moved past that now. Teams will employ anyone of any colour if they think they will help them win. And teams, notably the Dallas Cowboys, totally ignored the rule when it suited them to appoint Jason Garrett as head coach a few years ago.

Also, where do you stop? There aren't enough Hispanic origin people coaching in the league. There aren't enough Asian middle linebackers. And as for women quarterbacks...…

There is an air of tokenism about the whole thing. Minority coaches such as Art Shell, Raheem Morris, Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy have spoken out about this many times and the world is slowly changing.

But over here in terms of English football, there is still a long way to go. Until racist abuse is properly dealt with by clubs and authorities accordingly, it will remain 30 years behind the times.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
The Rooney Rule really does wind a lot of people in the NFL up nowadays. It was named for the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers who came up with the idea at an NFL Executive Meeting some 20 years ago. The premise was a good one, to involve more minorities in the coaching hierarchy of the NFL.

We have moved past that now. Teams will employ anyone of any colour if they think they will help them win. And teams, notably the Dallas Cowboys, totally ignored the rule when it suited them to appoint Jason Garrett as head coach a few years ago.

Also, where do you stop? There aren't enough Hispanic origin people coaching in the league. There aren't enough Asian middle linebackers. And as for women quarterbacks...…

There is an air of tokenism about the whole thing. Minority coaches such as Art Shell, Raheem Morris, Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy have spoken out about this many times and the world is slowly changing.

But over here in terms of English football, there is still a long way to go. Until racist abuse is properly dealt with by clubs and authorities accordingly, it will remain 30 years behind the times.
Whilst I have little knowledge of NFL so cannot comment on how this rule is perceived in that sport, the question of where to stop is a bit of a false argument. You can not refuse to try and address perceived imbalances and discrimination just because you can not ever be inclusive for every possible situation, many of then ridiculous to any sensible person. For example a lack of women quarterbacks is a silly argument as no one is calling for that, women quarterbacks or Asian middle linebackers have not experienced decades of conscious and unconscious bias against them.

It may be the case that the very people that this rule was designed to help feel it is not helping them, in which case fair enough, have another look at it. But you can't not try and take action to address a proven imbalance just because it will not make the sport somewhere where there is a person of every gender, colour, creed on the team or managing in that league.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Yet the club you support didn’t think it was ridiculous as they banned the fan

A black arsenal player scored against Spurs and when celebrating a banana skin was thrown at the black player - what else is it going to be and i wonder if the thinking would be different if it was a spurs player at the end of it
You get banned for throwing objects full stop, and quite rightly so. By all means let's criticise that fan for being an idiot. But the club and the police were satisfied it wasn't a racial incident. I presume you weren't following the story that closely though.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
You get banned for throwing objects full stop, and quite rightly so. By all means let's criticise that fan for being an idiot. But the club and the police were satisfied it wasn't a racial incident. I presume you weren't following the story that closely though.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...t-arsenals-pierre-emerick-aubameyang-11584996

But magistrate Mervyn Mandell said: "We find it was a targeted gesture to throw a banana skin after a goal was scored by a black player. We have in the circumstances found the racial element was there."