Silver lining?

Thread starter #1

bobmac

Major Champion
Will something good come out of these times?
Taking up an old hobby?
Spending more time with family?
Spending less time in the pub?
Realising there is life after golf?
Learning to cook?

Or is it all just a nightmare?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Taking up an old hobby?
Learning to cook?

My wife and I are getting to enjoy time with our daugther just us 3 before the twins arrive

We also hoping to use the lock down to potty train her as my wife cant go out and ill just be working so crack on lol

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
I think if you are retired/not working and already have a flexible/adaptable life then its probably a lot easier.
The only good that comes from this is stopping the spread of a virus.
The disruption and knock on effects, in my opinion, cannot be outweighed by the limited positives.

I spend time with my family already in a balanced manner, I already cook and discovered life after golf when I had an accident.

The market shock and the rapid reaction to this has meant many people's lives and livelihoods have been swept from under them just as quick.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Will I take anything from this? Make more time to enjoy family and friends. That appreciation is a very small 'win' in the middle of a global Sci-fi nightmare.

Wolf

To answer those in order..
Will something good come out of these times? No , because a few months after its over people will revert to type and even now the majority are still being self absorbed

Taking up an old hobby? Bit hard to do when all sports are cancelled and I can't stand gardening

Spending more time with family?actually getting less time with family as can't visit parents and my ex has taken this opportunity to stop access & any form of contact 😡

Spending less time in the pub? I don't drink so don't go to pub anyway

Realising there is life after golf? There's always been more important things than golf for me

Learning to cook? Already enjoy cooking so I guess doing more is a positive

Or is it all just a nightmare? In summary yep its one big nightmare

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Silver lining - I have already started lining the conservatory roof, which will include silver lined ceoletex!

I've thought about an exercise program - there's a cross trainer in a corner of the conservatory that was last used ...some time ago...and a shed full of bikes (similar usage). However it's only day 3 so I'm still thinking about that!

I'm also fortunate in that I've lawn for chipping - then again I haven't picked up a club for 4 months either.

I already cook 🤗

Honestly, by then end I think many people will have reflected, and appreciated, what they were restricted/prevented from doing and will revise their priorities going forward - but I agree with the earlier observation that for most this will be short lived (if at all)

GB72

Money List Winner
I can see changes in my life that, if kept up, will be a good thing:

Making time just to talk with my wife.
The pleasure of going on a simple walk.
The importance of community
Learning who is really important in your life.
Appreciating what I have rather than looking at the next thing to get.
Food Waste in general.
Learning how important something as simple as a text or a short call is to those with less social contact than me.
How anyone, no matter how lowly their job has traditionally been perceived, can be a hero.
How I can work from home.
That it is the simple things that you miss when they are taken away, not things or big holidays etc.
You soon get to see which companies have any degree of care about their staff and customers.
Shop local, they will look after you in the harder times.

Just a few things that I hope that I can take from this.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I can see changes in my life that, if kept up, will be a good thing:

Making time just to talk with my wife.
The pleasure of going on a simple walk.
The importance of community
Learning who is really important in your life.
Appreciating what I have rather than looking at the next thing to get.
Food Waste in general.
Learning how important something as simple as a text or a short call is to those with less social contact than me.
How anyone, no matter how lowly their job has traditionally been perceived, can be a hero.
How I can work from home.
That it is the simple things that you miss when they are taken away, not things or big holidays etc.
You soon get to see which companies have any degree of care about their staff and customers.
Shop local, they will look after you in the harder times.

Just a few things that I hope that I can take from this.

People will revert to type and still talk down to lazy teachers, lazy transport workers and low skilled supermarket workers (that's what they always referred them to as it's not my view .. I know many hard worker teachers etc)

So many companies come out looking good from this

3 people don't

Mike Ashley
Richard Branson
Owner of weather spoons

GB72

Money List Winner
People will revert to type and still talk down to lazy teachers, lazy transport workers and low skilled supermarket workers (that's what they always referred them to as it's not my view .. I know many hard worker teachers etc)

3 people don't

Mike Ashley
Richard Branson
Owner of weather spoons
I live in hope that people do not revert to type but I understand where you are coming from.

Out of the 3 you mention, I think that Richard Branson has done the most damage. Everyone knew that the other 2 did not have the best reputation to say the least but Branson has always put himself across as a pillar of virtue and a champion of his staff and then puts most of them on 8 week unpaid leave and goes straight in for a Government handout before anything had started to bite.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I live in hope that people do not revert to type but I understand where you are coming from.

Out of the 3 you mention, I think that Richard Branson has done the most damage. Everyone knew that the other 2 did not have the best reputation to say the least but Branson has always put himself across as a pillar of virtue and a champion of his staff and then puts most of them on 8 week unpaid leave and goes straight in for a Government handout before anything had started to bite.
And he sued the NHS few years ago

Our white knight is actually disgusting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
For me, nothing good.

Taking up an old hobby? My hobbies are largely outdoors, not in the garden
Spending more time with family? I do already, immediate family. Having to isolate from the others of course
Spending less time in the pub? Don't go. Less time in cafes eating coffee and cake but where is the fun in missing that? I can also do that at home.
Realising there is life after golf? Already do
Learning to cook? Already do

I'm reading books, already do that, and the painting that could be done can't be because I don't have it in.

This time is just a worry for health and for work. Sorry, no silver lining for me (unless rediscovering Mario Cart on the Wii is classed as a silver lining :D)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
For me, nothing good.

Taking up an old hobby? My hobbies are largely outdoors, not in the garden
Spending more time with family? I do already, immediate family. Having to isolate from the others of course
Spending less time in the pub? Don't go. Less time in cafes eating coffee and cake but where is the fun in missing that? I can also do that at home.
Realising there is life after golf? Already do
Learning to cook? Already do

I'm reading books, already do that, and the painting that could be done can't be because I don't have it in.

This time is just a worry for health and for work. Sorry, no silver lining for me (unless rediscovering Mario Cart on the Wii is classed as a silver lining :D)

Surely that's the ONLY silver lining. I have a SNES emulator on my tablet and the tablet hooked up to the TV. Original Mario Kart and Adventures of Link.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Surely that's the ONLY silver lining. I have a SNES emulator on my tablet and the tablet hooked up to the TV. Original Mario Kart and Adventures of Link.
Yes, that is about it really. I actually thought we had donated our Wii a few years ago but we found it in a box, covered in dust. The annoying thing is I used to be hard decent at Mario Kart but I have totally lost it now. I can see some big sessions coming up over the weekend.

My son is gutted as he left his old Playstation 3 back at his house at university, no space in his bag as he caught the train back. A bit of shoot em up and bonkers driving would have been good therapy apparently. He also keeps looking at the Wii with disdain, the old school graphics are, well, old school.

Favourite track = Mushroom Gorge followed by Moo Moo Meadows
Least Favourite = Rainbow Road. Never even got close to mastering that

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Still able to work from home full time without being away 3 days in the week, so more time with wife and hound.
Live in a great little village so lovely walks from outside the house
Only used the car twice in 2 weeks!

............a warm Spring and no traffic will allow the golf courses to recover well from the wettest winter in memory!

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner

3 people don't

Mike Ashley
Richard Branson
Owner of weather spoons
This has just amplified the dickish nature of people/companies. So if they were a dick before, chances are they will still find ways to be dicks in the current situation as for some people being a dick is their raison d'etre.

Actual:
My lad having time to work with me to get fully on top of all of his financial issues and work out how best he manages his fiances going ahead
My lad understanding his relationship with his partner and deciding if it is really what he wants for the coming years
Mrs Hogie and I have started sorting through '000s of photographs taken over more than 27yrs and we'll put together an album of special photos for both of our children
Doing some of these little things that need doing around the house but that I never seem to find the time to do

Hoped for:
The true value and importance to us all of carers and health service staff is not forgotten
Young people realise that nursing is a fantastic and valued career.
A wider discovery that having a bit of faith and belief can be of great support through difficult times.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I realised my earlier answer was a tad miserable so I have thought of two silver linings:

1/ My fuel bill has reduced
2/ About 100m from our factory is a shellfish factory. We do not get a smell from the internal workings but the bins outside can be grim. They are not emptied frequently enough, the lids do not close properly. Empty prawn shells in particular are guffing on a warm summers day, the wind blowing our way. They closed on Monday. Despite the smell I hope they come back to work, it is grim work but it is work, but I am enjoying the lack of off shellfish odour right now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Taking up an old hobby?
Learning to cook?

Can't think of a hobby I've wanted to do that I can do in my house. All of my hobbies are currently curtailed (football, golf, badminton). I can play guitar still, but not with my band of course.
No kids but more time with the wife.. not sure if that's a good or bad thing, I'll let you know in a month. :ROFLMAO:
I didn't spent that much time in the pub anyway really. Couldn't afford to.
I've bought practise net and balls so my swing doesn't turn to dust in the meantime.
Cooking involved ingredients which means shopping more regularly... although I did poach eggs yesterday for the first time in my life, in order to make my wife's favourite breakfast for her birthday. So you might have something there!

Only positive for me at the moment is saving money. Not travelling to work saves me 11 quid every day - Over 200 a month. Not playing golf saves me green fees, because as I've mentioned before my membership was only £90 for the year with green fees paid as and when. So that's another 20 quid a week saved. If this is all lifted before summer ends me and the lads are going to play at an actual nice course for once with the money saved. :p