Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
As I read it the cops spoke to the owner who explained DC and his family were in another house and self isolating. The cops then lectured said owner.

Strictly speaking both DC and cops are correct.
Only problem with that is the Downing Street statement that said that "At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported". If as has been reported he stayed on a property on his parents estate and the police spoke to the owner then "his family" have been spoken to by the police.

But I guess you can get away with anything when you know where all the skeletons are buried.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Can someone say exactly what Cummings gave as his justification. My impression is that his reason was within the then guidance.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Can someone say exactly what Cummings gave as his justification. My impression is that his reason was within the then guidance.
As far as I'm aware, he hasn't issued any statement unless of course he wrote the Number 10 statement this morning! Or maybe he is writing Gove and Raab's tweets.

PaulS

I saw a tweet that said his wife’s sister only lives 20 mins away from him , so if he needed childcare that badly why not go to her ?

For all the good the current government are doing in this crisis they do keep shooting themselves in the foot

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
I saw a tweet that said his wife’s sister only lives 20 mins away from him , so if he needed childcare that badly why not go to her ?

For all the good the current government are doing in this crisis they do keep shooting themselves in the foot
Many possible reasons...ill, isolating too, having to work, not enough room....who knows.....

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Durham Police did speak to Cummings, details released by police - No. 10 lied.

Cummings web of lies backed by Govt have been further exposed this evening. The stranglehold this unelected SPAD clearly holds over ministers and PM is unhealthy. Just waiting for the next 'explanation' from No.10.

The level of cover up and repeated lying and control of media around this scandal from No.10 is actually becoming quite sinister now. :(

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Genuinely thought this was a parody. But it is apparently the from page of tomorrows Mail on Sunday. I think the UK has jumped the shark. dom.jpg

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Durham Police did speak to Cummings, details released by police - No. 10 lied.

Cummings web of lies backed by Govt have been further exposed this evening. The stranglehold this unelected SPAD clearly holds over ministers and PM is unhealthy. Just waiting for the next 'explanation' from No.10.

The level of cover up and repeated lying and control of media around this scandal from No.10 is actually becoming quite sinister now. :(
That's nothing new..... will cowardly, Big-Betty-Boris even turn up for PMQ :eek::eek:

Wildboy370

One bit that’s missing from this story. Have You ever tried to drive 250miles with a child and not had to stop at least once ? even adults can’t go that Long without a loo stop. So did they stop, if so where and how many people did they come into contact with, doors they touched etc etc. And all this with at least one of the occupants of an enclosed space carrying the virus. Coughing in a car, lord only knows how many germs they were covered in if they did stop.

Foxholer

Major Champion
I must have a good constitution then. I regularly drive from Perth to Northampton non-stop. 400 miles - six hours. :)
That's a dangerous practice imo. Stopping is definitely recommended - for your own, and others, safety. If you don't need at least 1 loo-break, you are probably also getting dehydrated even if taking on fluids (air conditioning will do that!) which is another potential killer. I used to drive that distance frequently (between Surrey and Edinburgh) and made sure I stopped every couple of hours. Tebay Services was always a highlight!

I have been very supportive of the Government during this crisis as they were dealing with a complete unknown scenario. But when this unelected self-important idiot thinks the rules don't apply to him and then the PM and other senior ministers try to cover it up/make it seem OK, then they need to head to A&E with a case of foot being shot. He needs to go. Now.

Fish

2 Pints Max, Leaves The Third
I must have a good constitution then. I regularly drive from Perth to Northampton non-stop. 400 miles - six hours. :)

That's a dangerous practice imo. Stopping is definitely recommended - for your own, and others, safety. If you don't need at least 1 loo-break, you are probably also getting dehydrated even if taking on fluids (air conditioning will do that!) which is another potential killer. I used to drive that distance frequently (between Surrey and Edinburgh) and made sure I stopped every couple of hours. Tebay Services was always a highlight!
6 hours is too long for a continuous drive, in any vehicle, even without the quickest of stops to just stretch your legs and have a change of focus, even if your bladder is capable of going that long without popping!

But Cummings journey of 4-4.5hrs is ok, after-all, we can drive HGV’s for 4.5hrs continuously, so that period of time must be scientifically proven to be safe, as it’s a matter of law.

I’d think nothing of driving from London to Durham in a single hit, I’ve done Leicester to Blackburn just outside of Aberdeen a few times.

I think there’s much more to come from this, and I think it won’t matter how much government try to justify Cummings travel, they will lose a huge amount of public support to follow the current guidelines or laws, and we’ll see more people travelling and going out, unnecessarily!

I’ve seen a huge increase in traffic on the roads over the last week, so congestion & accidents are on the rise every day, and this increase isn’t people travelling back to work, they’re families in cars & campers, even the odd caravan!

This Cummings incident will only fuel those who are sceptical or are against the lockdown, and will use it as a case in point to go out themselves.

I’m as blue as they come, but someone needs to show some teethe this time and remove Cummings.