Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

JamesR

Tour Winner
I think the thing is though.
He was one of the main architects of the plan!
Double standards like that is not on .
I believe he was actually one speaking out earlier, suggesting lockdown should have happened when we were merely delaying.

Only in your (deluded imo) mind! It seems to me that YOU are the one 'having a dig'! And it's time to desist!

Btw. SILH is absolutely correct re the Led versus Guided issue in terms of Government action imo! Though 'Led' and 'Guided' are pretty much similes in many situations. Guides certainly Lead in many situations!
If there is just one option presented to the government then that is one thing and led or hand-in-hand is appropriate - though there is still a political choice to be made - accept or not. But for many decisions SAGE may present a number of options - most times they may come with a recommendation but sometimes not. The decision on the route to go, on the advice to take, will depend upon consideration of the impact that route could have on economy short and long term, and on such as unemployment and business viability. That decision is then a political one that is informed and guided by the science - it is political because the situation the country finds itself in and the state of the economy are going to be the responsibility of the government to address and that may require measures that they know could be unpopular.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
So , should Cummings go?
Copy and paste response, my feelings on this haven’t changed.

Normally, where the harm is relatively low, people are often called to walk when they need to stay as the next person just makes a similar silly mistake and it stalls all progress on the thing they are in charge of.

Here though a line has been crossed and it’s that rare occasion I think the person should stand down.

bobmac

Major Champion
I'm asking because when MPs are elected, the have to take the oath.....

I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

Other non god variations are permitted.

The way I read that is if they then break the law, they have to go.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
I'm asking because when MPs are elected, the have to take the oath.....

I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

Other non god variations are permitted.

The way I read that is if they then break the law, they have to go.
But he’s not a MP and hasn’t Broken any laws, he’s got to go though.

NearHull

There may be a bigger issue here. Durham Police are standing by their statement that they spoke to the owner of the house in which Cummings stayed and yet Cummings’ statement says that there was no contact from the police. This is a now a dispute about facts, and not of opinion of “common sense“ that the Govt would like to argue. I think the bigger problem here is that the PM has given his full backing to Cummings and it may be that Boris Johnson’s has (mis)placed loyalty before government.
( It hasn’t been clarified who the owner of the house actually is, but I understand it is situated on Cummings‘ fathers estate)

just realised I’ve put in several grammatical errors - apostrophe pedantics, please have mercy

drdel

Tour Rookie
There may be a bigger issue here. Durham Police are standing by their statement that they spoke to the owner of the house in which Cummings stayed and yet Cummings’ statement says that there was no contact from the police. This is a now a dispute about facts, and not of opinion of “common sense“ that the Govt would like to argue. I think the bigger problem here is that the PM has given his full backing to Cummings and it may be that Boris Johnson’s has (mis)placed loyalty before government.
( It hasn’t been clarified who the owner of the house actually is, but I understand it is situated on Cummings‘ fathers estate)

just realised I’ve put in several grammatical errors - apostrophe pedantics, please have mercy
As I read it the cops spoke to the owner who explained DC and his family were in another house and self isolating. The cops then lectured said owner.

Strictly speaking both DC and cops are correct.