Sensitive thread possibly (organ donation)

Thread starter #1

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
I’ve always been an organ donor from my mid 20s and my wife started about 10 years ago.
We have just added our kids names.
Soon everyone will be unless you opt out.
I hope they are never needed because of an accident.
I appreciate it could be one of the hardest decisions ever to make.Thoughts?

Wilson

Head Pro
Yes from me, what will I need with them once I’m dead? It would be an amazing gift to help someone when I’m gone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Myself, my wife, my son and my daughter are all on the donation register. All made their own choice.

My only annoyance is that the hospital still asks a relative if the donation can take place even if you are on the register. Why? Will this change with the new register?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
If my organs are still of use to someone else when I’m gone then they might as well get use out of them.

Mrs d and the girls have the same view

Thread starter #6

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Myself, my wife, my son and my daughter are all on the donation register. All made their own choice.

My only annoyance is that the hospital still asks a relative if the donation can take place even if you are on the register. Why? Will this change with

I believe it will automatically happen unless you’ve opted out although it doesn’t happen straight away.
Your body is given over and I believe they check the organs for suitability.
Apparently a heart is not just a heart for everyone.
I’m only quoting what I’ve heard so I think I might do some research just in case.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Not that there will be much of any use to anyone, they can take what they want as far as I'm concerned
The Mrs isn't too keen on them taking her eyes...well, ones buggered and the other one's a bit dodgy so she should be ok there.
The Boy is on the list for everything except his brain - worthless outside his world:LOL:

larmen

Head Pro
I am probably not able to anyway, but I can ask my cardiologist and nephrologist the next time around if I am on the automated block list.

Not sure about the automated opt-in. Maybe make people aware and make them chose, but opting in?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
I've been on the donor list for years, most bits are just about worn out now, but if they're any good to anyone when I'm gone (y)

Backache

Assistant Pro
The nature of organ donation is such that it is the relatives who are left with the emotional impact around organ donation rather than the donor. it is usually at a time of pretty raw emotion as the death is usually unexpected. Fortunately for the vast majority of families it is usually a comfort that their loved one's death can benefit others and does so. It is often distressing when the organs are not suitable for donation.

Ye Olde Boomer

My organs will be cremated with the rest of me.
They're too old and too full of prescription drugs to be of any value to anybody.
I admire people who, upon their death, don't want their still useful organs to go to waste when somebody's life could be saved with them.

However, a person's dead body becomes the property of his family under American law. I doubt that we'll ever have a situation where one
must opt out of organ donation. Most, or at least many of us, prepay our final expenses via trust while we're still alive so as not to cause bother to those we leave behind.
My wife and I have done that.

My parents are under buried under a headstone. I will be cremated. As for my ashes, I assume that they'll be buried down with my parents caskets (I think you call them coffins).
However, the kids can flush them down the toilet for all I care. I won't know about it.

Unlikely, though, as they still keep the ashes of their beloved pets from the past.

But yes, organ donation is probably a good thing to do for people who unfortunately die young.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
My organs will be cremated with the rest of me.
They're too old and too full of prescription drugs to be of any value to anybody.
I admire people who, upon their death, don't want their still useful organs to go to waste when somebody's life could be saved with them.

However, a person's dead body becomes the property of his family under American law. I doubt that we'll ever have a situation where one
must opt out of organ donation. Most, or at least many of us, prepay our final expenses via trust while we're still alive so as not to cause bother to those we leave behind.
My wife and I have done that.

My parents are under buried under a headstone. I will be cremated. As for my ashes, I assume that they'll be buried down with my parents caskets (I think you call them coffins).
However, the kids can flush them down the toilet for all I care. I won't know about it.

Unlikely, though, as they still keep the ashes of their beloved pets from the past.

But yes, organ donation is probably a good thing to do for people who unfortunately die young.
My golfing buddies have promised to scatter my ashes in the middle of our 1st fairway, knowing my luck I'LL PROBABLY GET BLOWN OUT OF BOUNDS AGAIN :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I’ve always been an organ donor from my mid 20s and my wife started about 10 years ago.
We have just added our kids names.
Soon everyone will be unless you opt out.
I hope they are never needed because of an accident.
I appreciate it could be one of the hardest decisions ever to make.Thoughts?
Interesting subject. As you can imagine we have patients coming into ICU already unconscious and sadly some cannot be helped and often families are asked if the patient was a donor or had discussed it and of course that can come as a shock. Sometimes it has been mentioned, sometimes it's never been considered but the family think the patient would have liked to help someone else. Of course sometimes depending on the illness and the patients medical history donation isn't an option. I understand there are also beliefs that may prevent donation.

Personally I'd like to see doctors have the option unless there is a clear opt out decision made but how is that going to be administered and the details centrally stored so they know for certain they can take the organs legitimately

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I'm for it. If there anything useful left of mine when I go then anybody who wants them can have them. They'll be of no use to me.
Some people donate their bodies for medical research and training which I think is also a good thing.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Always carried a card. Not sure my athletic body will be of much use to anyone but they're welcome to it. And if its past its 'sell by' date I don't mind if medical students get to have a laugh over carving it up. If just one student learns something that saves one life, brilliant.

Thread starter #16

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Always carried a card. Not sure my athletic body will be of much use to anyone but they're welcome to it. And if its past its 'sell by' date I don't mind if medical students get to have a laugh over carving it up. If just one student learns something that saves one life, brilliant.
It won’t be an Olympic athlete that’s for sure :)

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
I’m on the organ donor list, however I don’t know if I’m barred,
I had several massive blood transfusions 20 months ago and I know I cannot give blood as a result, may also apply to my organs.

I know that when Forum Legend RickG passed away his organs helped several people and was a source of comfort for his family.

Since my transfusions 2 of my daughters have given blood, I simply wouldn’t be here without 23 individual donors ( yes 23 units in 24 hours)

I would have no hesitation in any of mine or my daughters organs being harvested in the event of my/their demise

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Donated blood for a good few years and then went onto be a platlet donor. It was a ball ache travelling to Notts, but the bargains in TK Max next door and better biscuits made it more than worthwhile. Plus knowing your platlets helped up to a dozen folk helped as well. Anyway they stopped me donating coz I was never in the country. For me, they can have whatever they want. Read a brilliant book called “do no harm” by a brain surgeon. He mentions in the book how organs are donated from patients. I was sold.