Selling an old phone online

Thread starter #1
Has anybody used any of the online sites to sell an old phone, I have an Iphone 8 that I'm looking to move on as I can upgrade. Online sites are giving a quote of £170-180, but I'm a bit skeptical about just sending it in the post and waiting for the money to land in my account.

Hopefully someone has experience of doing this before?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Has anybody used any of the online sites to sell an old phone, I have an Iphone 8 that I'm looking to move on as I can upgrade. Online sites are giving a quote of £170-180, but I'm a bit skeptical about just sending it in the post and waiting for the money to land in my account.

Hopefully someone has experience of doing this before?
Done it more times than I remember

Music magpie was the last

It's fine they pay up

Had a phone returned once as it to them wasn't good enough so they offered me less and I said I'll have it back. Arrived couple days later

It's safe.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Yea. As above. I sell old phones/iPad to CEX, mainly as its usually where I buy phones so I get vouchers in return.

Never had an issue previously.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
ive sold phones on facebook marketplace, you'll get loads of stupid offers but you'll find a buyer at some stage.

I sold a few on ebay too but have given up due to several non payers, I assume they have automatic bids of several phones and jusdt proceed with the one of them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Don't bother using Mazuma. They gave me a provisional offer of £100 for one of my old phones so I sent it to them, then they claimed that one pixel was slightly too bright in the display, and changed their offer to just £20! I told them to sod off and send the phone back to me. Went with Music Magpie instead and they gave me £50. Didn't mention any 'pixel damage'.

Obviously the final amount will be lower than the initial offer with any of them, unless your phone is in perfect condition.

Thread starter #9
The phone is in immaculate condition as its had a glass screen protector and a pretty heavy duty case on it since day one. I'll likely put it on FB marketplace and if not gone in a few days use Music Magpie as they are offering £170

4LEX

ive sold phones on facebook marketplace, you'll get loads of stupid offers but you'll find a buyer at some stage.

I sold a few on ebay too but have given up due to several non payers, I assume they have automatic bids of several phones and jusdt proceed with the one of them
Ebay and Gumtree for phones are almost all scam buyers and fraudsters unless you state cash on collection.

GB72

Money List Winner
I have used a few of these companies. MizumaMobile and Envirophone both tried to massively slash their offers with the claim of burned pixels on the screen. Asked both to return the phone and O2 took the phone with no problem at all. There are a few that will try and massively reduce their original offer. Worth asking for it to be sent back and try elsewhere if you do not think that the fault exists.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
CEX are pretty good. I've sold phones, tablets and games to them and they have always paid what they quoted on the website. I also prefer dealing with them as it's face to face.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
CEX are pretty good. I've sold phones, tablets and games to them and they have always paid what they quoted on the website. I also prefer dealing with them as it's face to face.
Only bonus of not dealing with cex (who you can also trade in online btw) is that you need to include the charger where as others you don't then you get a charger to keep for further or sell on eBay

Surprised to hear the adverse comments about Mazuma because my experience with them was good. I got the online quote, sent the phone, and was paid the exact same amount within 24hr of them receiving the phone. No complaint from me.