Scottish Fitba' 19/20

I think the no fans has helped Clarke big time. The brand and style of football is horrendous. There is absolutely nothing exciting about Scotland. That said I have to credit him as his borefest is working.

Personally I'm not convinced that the Tartan Army would have been as patient and been on the players backs. However we've started to win ugly now and grind which means the fans will be patient and accept what is being served up.

Just don't expect any entertainment or free flowing football.

Last night I thought Ryan Jack was once again an unsung hero, just mops up, breaks up play and recyles the ball extremely well. Players like McGinn can and will get more plaudits but you need that water carrier in Jack to break it up. Also thought McLean was superb when he came on.

Lastly big Andy Considine - no world beater and will never be a first pick but bloody hell two absolutely solid performances and didn't put a foot wrong in 180 minutes. At 33 he deserves his Scotland caps.
tbh - I thought the style of the goal was brilliant. Good pressing by a wing-back, excellent skills and control by a big forward; lovely little slipped pass behind the opposition defence to a little forward who did not hesitate and slotted the ball away with consummate skill (glass half full :) )

I think the no fans has helped Clarke big time. The brand and style of football is horrendous. There is absolutely nothing exciting about Scotland. That said I have to credit him as his borefest is working.

Personally I'm not convinced that the Tartan Army would have been as patient and been on the players backs. However we've started to win ugly now and grind which means the fans will be patient and accept what is being served up.

Just don't expect any entertainment or free flowing football.

Last night I thought Ryan Jack was once again an unsung hero, just mops up, breaks up play and recyles the ball extremely well. Players like McGinn can and will get more plaudits but you need that water carrier in Jack to break it up. Also thought McLean was superb when he came on.

Lastly big Andy Considine - no world beater and will never be a first pick but bloody hell two absolutely solid performances and didn't put a foot wrong in 180 minutes. At 33 he deserves his Scotland caps.
When was the last time Scotland played free flowing, exciting football? The only time I remember was during and just after the 2008 EC qualifying campaign but it was short lived. Even before that Craig Brown and Roxburgh before him wasn't that great to watch.
Unless the expectations of the fans change we're going to be watching this for a very long time.
Suspect Scotland fans won't accept a more continental style of football where they calmly pass the ball around. They want blood and thunder, have done for years and that's why I think we've stagnated for decades. We need to learn how to keep the ball and pass it around.

But were not Fletcher and Faddie saying last night that it was good to see Scotland playing an aggressive 'in yer face' sort of football - and isn't that just what we standing on the earth of the Hampden terracing back in the 1970s used to call for when we bawled out 'GERRINTAETHEM'.

Anyway - this talk of Scottish fitba times current and past, has got me pulling John Fairgrieve's Away Wi' the Goalie off my bookshelf.

Published in 1977 as Argentina-mania was building to fever pitch, I recall a fun and insightful little read into the psyche of Scottish football and we for whom it is - or was - so very important :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
When was the last time Scotland played free flowing, exciting football? The only time I remember was during and just after the 2008 EC qualifying campaign but it was short lived. Even before that Craig Brown and Roxburgh before him wasn't that great to watch.
Unless the expectations of the fans change we're going to be watching this for a very long time.
Suspect Scotland fans won't accept a more continental style of football where they calmly pass the ball around. They want blood and thunder, have done for years and that's why I think we've stagnated for decades. We need to learn how to keep the ball and pass it around.
'Gerrrrr intae them', one of the great Scottish crowd chants of all time.:love:
Modern take is probably 'ooooh nice pass Alisdair'.

smange

Journeyman Pro
How would any Scottish football fan know about that? It happened in the second stage of the World Cup finals ….. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
How could any England fan not even know it actually happened in the quarter final so technically the 3rd stage of the finals 🙄

Some people just can’t let a thread go by without having to post on it even if they have no interest in the subject or anything relevant to post!!

? That’s confused me
Scotland will be in England's group if we get past Serbia. You just want us to qualify so you can get the three points against us.
The Czech manager (think it was actually the assistant manager) said the same thing to Clark after the final whistle on Wednesday. He said he hopes we qualify. The Czechs are in the same as England. Seeing as they played us off the park I think they just want the three points off us.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Scotland will be in England's group if we get past Serbia. You just want us to qualify so you can get the three points against us.
The Czech manager (think it was actually the assistant manager) said the same thing to Clark after the final whistle on Wednesday. He said he hopes we qualify. The Czechs are in the same as England. Seeing as they played us off the park I think they just want the three points off us.
That's a bit of an assumption that Scotland are a walkover or that anyone would think they were.

Yes, England would be favourites but just like against Czech Republic anything can happen.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Would be good to see an England Scotland match and certainly wouldn’t see it as any guarantees that England win

That's a bit of an assumption that Scotland are a walkover or that anyone would think they were.

Yes, England would be favourites but just like against Czech Republic anything can happen.
Did you see the game against the Czech Republic? We were absolutely pummeled in the second half, and could hardly get a touch of the ball.

Either way it was a joke. Did you not see my laughing face?

I'm acutely aware of our deficiencies and know our standing in world football

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Did you see the game against the Czech Republic? We were absolutely pummeled in the second half, and could hardly get a touch of the ball.

Either way it was a joke. Did you not see my laughing face?

I'm acutely aware of our deficiencies and know our standing in world football
O' Ye of little faith Drew :whistle:, I'm slightly optimistic there has been a small improvement in play, so I like to think it's glass half full .:p

Last edited: