Ryanair at it again

chrisd

Major Champion
I reckon cheap foreign holidays will be a thing of the past. Flying anywhere will be an expensive luxury. The UK will see a boom in domestic holidays followed by investments in the seaside and 'destination' towns and areas, the UK holiday market will be boomier than a boomy thing on a boomy day.
Until 3 or 4 years time when the cheaper airlines re emerge and everyone forgets the Brish resorts and what they've spent to attract holiday makers, bit like the local shops!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I reckon cheap foreign holidays will be a thing of the past. Flying anywhere will be an expensive luxury. The UK will see a boom in domestic holidays followed by investments in the seaside and 'destination' towns and areas, the UK holiday market will be boomier than a boomy thing on a boomy day.
Until the next wet summer. Whenever I mention having a week on holiday in the UK my wife immediately throws our holiday to Cornwall in 2014 at me. Grey for most of the week, wet for 3 days. She will do long weekends here but the main holiday will not be in this country again until that memory has disappeared even further. 6 years and counting...............

GB72

Money List Winner
Until the next wet summer. Whenever I mention having a week on holiday in the UK my wife immediately throws our holiday to Cornwall in 2014 at me. Grey for most of the week, wet for 3 days. She will do long weekends here but the main holiday will not be in this country again until that memory has disappeared even further. 6 years and counting...............
My issue before all this has always been the cost. A week at a nice hotel in the UK plus breakfast, lunch, dinner plus drinks etc has always been comparable in price to a decent holiday abroad but you add to that the fact that you cannot just relax by a pool in the sun and the UK has never been a great holiday choice for me.

If air travel becomes expensive (quite possible) then I can see other countries subsidising the cost. OK, think it is against regulations for EU countries to do it but I can see places like the Caribbean putting in funds to ensure a stream of holiday makers from the US and UK which are their prime markets.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Whilst i agree with the sentiment, my wife is the same also, but i believe next year, you will not be able to afford/justify the expense of a holiday which involves a flight. Especially if you have kids and costs multiply, me with 4 kids, a family cheap flight to Portugal was 1500 quid (250 a head, return with easyjet or similar), my bet is next year, the same scope, that will be 5k+.

GB72

Money List Winner
Whilst i agree with the sentiment, my wife is the same also, but i believe next year, you will not be able to afford/justify the expense of a holiday which involves a flight. Especially if you have kids and costs multiply, me with 4 kids, a family cheap flight to Portugal was 1500 quid (250 a head, return with easyjet or similar), my bet is next year, the same scope, that will be 5k+.
Depends on whether the EU get their cheque book out to subsidise national carriers and kick start the tourism industry in southern Europe. Has to be a cheaper option than having to bail them all out when one of their main industries collapses.

Thread starter #47

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
I suggested a week in The Lakes in August, only for the wife to remind me that every time I've taken her there, the weather has been grim.

Funnily enough, I've had loads of walking holidays there with mates, and generally got good weather, but when I tell her that, she doesn't believe me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Price will definitely focus the mind and if you are right then it will change things considerably. We have found similar to GB72 in the past, having a holiday in the UK is not that cheap, particularly day to day costs when you are actually there. If flying into Europe becomes excessive then that balance obviously changes matters and the UK it will be, along with jumpers, coats, etc :LOL:.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I suggested a week in The Lakes in August, only for the wife to remind me that every time I've taken her there, the weather has been grim.

Funnily enough, I've had loads of walking holidays there with mates, and generally got good weather, but when I tell her that, she doesn't believe me.
On the opposite side of that I have an aunt who used to go to Scotland every year on holiday with my uncle. Neither liked the heat, it suited them well. Looking back now, 'it never rained, it was always sunny, we never saw midges'. I'm not sure she ever went to Scotland :LOL:

rulefan

Tour Winner
I am having trouble with Holiday Extras though. I had booked an airport hotel with parking for the night before with a 24 hour cancellation guarantee. They are now only offering a credit on a future Holiday Extras service. They have quoted supposed words from their Terms and Conditions but the words don't actually appear.
Following a suggestion of another poster, I emailed the CEO of Holiday Extras this morning. This afternoon I received an email from a minion saying I would get a refund rather than a voucher when my claim reaches the top of the pile. They are currently working on claims made on 18th March. I claimed on 7th April.

No reference to my note to the CEO though.

sunshine

No chance

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Potentially can't see a lot of us being able to afford it, depending on how much of business class is occupied by business people. Business & First subsidise cattle class to a great extent. If Zoom & MS Teams has proved to business how much they don't need to travel and that translate to a loss of bums in business class seats, that might force the prices up even further.

I'd be sorry to think that I'd never fly on holiday again if that were the case, but also grateful that I've seen almost all the places in the world I really want to see.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
I think it depends what you're after and where you go.

I've got Portugal next April. 12 of us going, flights, 2 6 bed villas with pools and transfers with 1 car hire so we can go shopping and it's only costs us £2300 all in.

Then me n the lads heading out in May. £97 each for flights and hotels for 6 days.