Ryanair at it again

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Laugh it up then

To get a refund BA insist I make an international call (I only have a mobile) to a call centre that drops my call each time I try it because they are so busy. I haven't even had an acknowledgement to my emails sent weeks ago when they cancelled my flights.... But if I want a voucher I can use the website

Oh ma sides 😂
And they've acknowledged the difficulties, are making (as I understand it) a better offer if you are prepared to take the voucher rather than the cash refund and are not, as I understand it, refusing to refund you.

Whereas Ryanair have apparently been refusing to refund, have accused customers of acting illegally & have threatened to blacklist customers. If you see those 2 scenarios as anything like comparable then I'd make Specsavers your first stop when they reopen. ;)

It's hardly BA's fault that you choose not to have a landline, is it?

The only thing more laughable than your comparison is the thought that there's enough people that are prepared to use Ryanair that they can afford to blacklist customers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Slab

Money List Winner
And they've acknowledged the difficulties, are making (as I understand it) a better offer if you are prepared to take the voucher rather than the cash refund and are not, as I understand it, refusing to refund you.

Whereas Ryanair have apparently been refusing to refund, have accused customers of acting illegally & have threatened to blacklist customers. If you see those 2 scenarios as anything like comparable then I'd make Specsavers your first stop when they reopen. ;)

It's hardly BA's fault that you choose not to have a landline, is it?

The only thing more laughable than your comparison is the thought that there's enough people that are prepared to use Ryanair that they can afford to blacklist customers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seriously, are you in politics? Great spin

The difference in the details matters not, I still don't have my money back, that is the only bottom line

I'll give them more time just as I would if it was ryanair
They're both using tactics to push vouchers and make it difficult to opt for refund and both are unable to meet the usual refund timeline

sunshine

Either way it is not great PR for the firm and given the perilous state of the aviation industry a poor thing to happen whatever the circumstances. I am like most on here and I just find their business model and company ethos and working practices to be poor on all levels and so would rather seek more expensive alternatives than use them
As far as Ryanair is concerned, all PR is great PR. They have consistently pushed the boundaries of poor customer service in the pursuit of cost cutting. I think O'Leary takes pride in this and has even made stories up to get a reaction e.g. charging passengers to use the loo or standing room only.

The customer proposition is clear: we will treat you like excrement, try and con you and rip you anywhere we can, but we are the cheapest. Some people are prepared to put up with anything to save a couple of quid eg crazyface.

sunshine

Well......I love Ryanir. I was a little disappointed to have been given a travel voucher for the amount we paid, but hey, it;s what they are allowed to do. Next years flights came up. Went on their website. Booked the flights for next year used the voucher...total cost....£2.29. AND we've got seats all together and not scattered around the plane.
So the total cost isn't £2.29, you need to add the cost of this year's flights.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
As far as Ryanair is concerned, all PR is great PR. They have consistently pushed the boundaries of poor customer service in the pursuit of cost cutting. I think O'Leary takes pride in this and has even made stories up to get a reaction e.g. charging passengers to use the loo or standing room only.

The customer proposition is clear: we will treat you like excrement, try and con you and rip you anywhere we can, but we are the cheapest. Some people are prepared to put up with anything to save a couple of quid eg crazyface.
But at some point that PR negative or not will backfire.I hope the buying public start getting more savvy with their buying choices post Covid and won't be prepared to get fobbed off with excuses or given a crap service. That said there will always be those that want it as cheap as possible. Hopefully that's what O'Leary will get left with and struggle but then again as we've seen with other airline collapses it is all the airport and ancillary staff that bear the burden. The bosses by and large come out it ok

PaulS

Doesn’t matter what negative PR Ryanair get they will always get loads of customers , because they are cheap and that’s all that matters - morals go out the window when they know you can fly for a fraction of the cost.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Doesn’t matter what negative PR Ryanair get they will always get loads of customers , because they are cheap and that’s all that matters - morals go out the window when they know you can fly for a fraction of the cost.
Agreed but as history showed with Freddie Laker and his cheap no frills airline, while people like the idea of getting anything cheap there comes a point when attitudes change. Sadly as I really don't like the Ryanair model or O'Leary's contempt for customers, I can't see Ryanair collapsing soon (and as I said it is the staff that suffer).

PaulS

Ryanair was expected to make £1bn profit I believe , Laker Airways was borrowing up to their ears because their routes were not producing profits.

sunshine

But at some point that PR negative or not will backfire.I hope the buying public start getting more savvy with their buying choices post Covid and won't be prepared to get fobbed off with excuses or given a crap service. That said there will always be those that want it as cheap as possible. Hopefully that's what O'Leary will get left with and struggle but then again as we've seen with other airline collapses it is all the airport and ancillary staff that bear the burden. The bosses by and large come out it ok
So what you're saying is the negative PR will backfire. Or maybe it won't. Or actually yes they will struggle, but then again they won't.

Were you trying to test yourself to see how many different contradictory views you could fit in a paragraph?:ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Agreed but as history showed with Freddie Laker and his cheap no frills airline, while people like the idea of getting anything cheap there comes a point when attitudes change. Sadly as I really don't like the Ryanair model or O'Leary's contempt for customers, I can't see Ryanair collapsing soon (and as I said it is the staff that suffer).
History has shown the low cost carrier model can be very successful

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Jet2 had written a while ago saying that refunds will be processes in order of original flying date. We were due to fly tomorrow and received my itemised refund notifications 10 days ago. They said the money will appear in my account within 28 days of the refund notices.

I am having trouble with Holiday Extras though. I had booked an airport hotel with parking for the night before with a 24 hour cancellation guarantee. They are now only offering a credit on a future Holiday Extras service. They have quoted supposed words from their Terms and Conditions but the words don't actually appear.
Jet2 were brilliant I thought, phoned me weeks before we were due to fly and refund was back within 2 days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Jet2 were brilliant I thought, phoned me weeks before we were due to fly and refund was back within 2 days.
We are lucky up in Newcastle. Jet2 and Easyjet are probably the two main lower cost / holiday destination flight companies at the aiport. We go with Jet2 wherever possible and will happily pay the extra for them if Easyjet also fly the same route. So much better to deal with, brilliantly easy check in at the airport. Definitely the best of those category of airlines.

Ryanair barely have a foothold here, thankfully. It would be awful if they came and pushed out the others. I have managed to avoid Ryanair for all but one business flight to an odd location. I hope never to have to give O'Leary any money again and I would certainly never use them for holidays.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
We are lucky up in Newcastle. Jet2 and Easyjet are probably the two main lower cost / holiday destination flight companies at the aiport. We go with Jet2 wherever possible and will happily pay the extra for them if Easyjet also fly the same route. So much better to deal with, brilliantly easy check in at the airport. Definitely the best of those category of airlines.

Ryanair barely have a foothold here, thankfully. It would be awful if they came and pushed out the others. I have managed to avoid Ryanair for all but one business flight to an odd location. I hope never to have to give O'Leary any money again and I would certainly never use them for holidays.
Same here, jet2 fly to loads of places from Birmingham so they always get out business. Went with Ryanair once and it was a mass stampede when boarding opened as seats weren't allocated. Never ever again.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
I was hoping Jet2 would come a bit further south. We usually fly from Bournemouth if possible (if we're ever allowed abroad again) so we're limited to TUI or Ryanair. Never had a problem with TUI, but it would e good for them to have a bit of competition in the package holiday market

rulefan

Tour Winner
I was hoping Jet2 would come a bit further south. We usually fly from Bournemouth if possible (if we're ever allowed abroad again) so we're limited to TUI or Ryanair. Never had a problem with TUI, but it would e good for them to have a bit of competition in the package holiday market
Weren't the parent company Dart originally located at Bournemouth (or was it Southampton?)

Rooter

Money List Winner
I reckon cheap foreign holidays will be a thing of the past. Flying anywhere will be an expensive luxury. The UK will see a boom in domestic holidays followed by investments in the seaside and 'destination' towns and areas, the UK holiday market will be boomier than a boomy thing on a boomy day.