Rugby Union Season 2020

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
My other worry is that this may be it for Saracens. Wray cannot get his own way, all the other clubs are putting the knife in, the team he paid to build is going to get broken up so he could just walk away from the losses. Club cannot support itself and could follow Richmond, London Welsh etc.
They are spending a small fortune on building a new stand as well , which is surprising as they don’t fill the others as it it - but supposed to be improved Corp facilities especially during the big game , not sure how that’s going to be now

GB72

Money List Winner
hes already walked away!!!! has reportedly given his shares to his children and the club is effectively for sale
I read that as just getting distance between him and the club as part of the 'cleaning' process but clearly more than that. Cannot see a market for a loss making club which is tainted and possibly soon to lose its star players. Pains me to see the pleasure that some are taking in this

GB72

Money List Winner
Good day for Tigers, Borthwick coming in as head coach with the out of his depth Murphy being bumped upstairs. About the worst kept secret in rugby finally announced. Sure it is no coincidence that once the Sarries issue was resolved and we could no longer be relegated then Borthwick announces leaving England then the announcement made that he is joining us. Suspect that our future in the Premiership needed to be clear before he committed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
For those in the know, I am not, are Saracens trapped at the moment? By this I mean if they have a number of players on excessive terms those players may well not get those elsewhere. They then sit tight at Saracens, why take a major pay cut, but that means the club can not get under the cap. This may be the case for the next 1-3 years, maybe longer, until those contracts run down and can be re-negotiated.

Is this the case or is there a way out for them?

GB72

Money List Winner
For those in the know, I am not, are Saracens trapped at the moment? By this I mean if they have a number of players on excessive terms those players may well not get those elsewhere. They then sit tight at Saracens, why take a major pay cut, but that means the club can not get under the cap. This may be the case for the next 1-3 years, maybe longer, until those contracts run down and can be re-negotiated.

Is this the case or is there a way out for them?
In the championship there is no salary cap and so, if nothing else, Saracens could pay them out of their contracts (they cannot do that this year as the severance payments would form part of the Salary cap). The other point is that the premiership clubs will have allocated their cap this season so could not take anyone else on now. Will be different for next year as players leave and cap is freed up. Saracens have a large number of sought after players, the only problem is going to be for the England players to find English clubs that can cover their wages as a move outside of the Premiership would halt their England career.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
In the championship there is no salary cap and so, if nothing else, Saracens could pay them out of their contracts (they cannot do that this year as the severance payments would form part of the Salary cap). The other point is that the premiership clubs will have allocated their cap this season so could not take anyone else on now. Will be different for next year as players leave and cap is freed up. Saracens have a large number of sought after players, the only problem is going to be for the England players to find English clubs that can cover their wages as a move outside of the Premiership would halt their England career.
More worrying is the risk of them leaving for the riches of French rugby, where they have no limits on money. They'd be lost to the national side then.

GB72

Money List Winner
Why would they, they don't know so won't in the future.
Think it is a bit of irony based on the fact that the English clubs will not release Scottish, Welsh or Irish players next weekend when the England players are released for a training camp as the agreements with the different unions vary

GB72

Money List Winner
Farrell and a few others have already stated they won’t Be leaving to chase the money etc

Saracens are a very tight knit group and the attitude from them appears to be one of “sticking together “ so I can’t see many leaving
Depends what choice they have though. If the worst case scenario rumours are to be believed then they may have 2 million quid to clear from the wage bill before they are compliant which is 4 or 5 top names or 10 or more lesser players. To maintain a reasonable squad size then they may have no choice. That said, would think losing Farrell and Itoje would be the very last resort.

GB72

Money List Winner
Can the same players play union and league, or do the two games require completely different training?

We have a little bit of rugby here. Most local amateur games are union while most on TV are thirteens.
They have similar but different enough skill sets to mean that you can move from one to another and adapt to the different code. A few have done that very successfully (Jason Robinson probably my favourite example who played league then won the union world cup with England). Some positions are more unique to union (pretty much anywhere in the front 5) whose skills are less necessary in league

Ye Olde Boomer

They have similar but different enough skill sets to mean that you can move from one to another and adapt to the different code. A few have done that very successfully (Jason Robinson probably my favourite example who played league then won the union world cup with England). Some positions are more unique to union (pretty much anywhere in the front 5) whose skills are less necessary in league
Thanks It's amazing how many variations of football exist around the world today.
To me, association is the most boring, but that's probably because I don't know that for which to look in terms of tactics and strategy.