Rugby Union Season 2020

Thread starter #1

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Anyone watch the Glasgow v Exeter game yesterday ?
What a treat, with an amazing ending.
I won't give the result in case anyone wants to watch it on catchup

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Yes I did, and was a great game. However the refereering left plenty to answer for, especially with that pitiful yellow card for the very dangerous play.

Thread starter #3

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Yes I did, and was a great game. However the refereering left plenty to answer for, especially with that pitiful yellow card for the very dangerous play.
I think the ref made Glasgow pay dearly for that missed 'red'. He was pretty harsh on them afterwards.
Agree that he was poor.
The old saying goes that you never notice a good referee.
That ref was very noticeable.(n)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Clearly only a fraction of the truth is still in the public domain, Saracens are clearly over the cap and have been for several years but Premiership rugby in danger of coming out of this worse than Saracens the way its being dealt with

One thing is for sure, rugby is not doing itself any favours with this

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
and how were they supposed to have done that in the last 3 months?
From the article LP posted - "Proof of immediate cap compliance was required to avoid further sanctions. "

I assume this proof wasn't forthcoming. I would argue that after the initial 35 point deduction and fine they needed to put a plan into place asap and action it and haven't. I am sure the reasons for the decision will fully emerge at some point, probably when they appeal the decision

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Clearly only a fraction of the truth is still in the public domain, Saracens are clearly over the cap and have been for several years but Premiership rugby in danger of coming out of this worse than Saracens the way its being dealt with

One thing is for sure, rugby is not doing itself any favours with this
All seems very rushed and wanting to get it sorted too quickly - seen talk that the relegation is because Saracen won’t open their books to the Rugby Premiership ?

The question is - are other teams having the same issues ?

Not sure what Saracens are going to do with the England players - maybe some will go on loan but some surely will have to leave but what clubs can afford them if they are on big money

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
From the article LP posted - "Proof of immediate cap compliance was required to avoid further sanctions. "

I assume this proof wasn't forthcoming. I would argue that after the initial 35 point deduction and fine they needed to put a plan into place asap and action it and haven't. I am sure the reasons for the decision will fully emerge at some point, probably when they appeal the decision
They were over at the start of the season obviously (as per previous years), any players they take off the wage bill they have to pay compensation to and this compensation counts towards their wage bill, how exactly were they supposed to be able to change their situation after this season had started?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
All seems very rushed and wanting to get it sorted too quickly - seen talk that the relegation is because Saracen won’t open their books to the Rugby Premiership ?

Not sure what Saracens are going to do with the England players - maybe some will go on loan but some surely will have to leave but what clubs can afford them if they are on big money

the biggest question has to be whats the salary cap in the championship lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner

At the moment theres so little real information out there its hard to know, Bath and Wasps have been rumoured to be over in the past along with Sarries but the clubs voted not to allow any of this info to be public (albeit some now want to change their minds now it suits them)

Sadly its still to some degrees a sport that went professional but being run like an amateur sport at times

If you're Sarries do you play in Europe tomorrow? And then get thrown out on monday? Or just not bother? As again no one knows quite whats going to happen

Sarries are clearly in the wrong and being punished but the way its been handled is poor and in danger of doing more damage to the sport at least in the short term

Farrell is the only one who has declared his stance (hes staying), tbh the real stars could have a years almost rest which would do their careers no harm at all (and may even extend them!)

If you're Sarries do you play in Europe tomorrow? And then get thrown out on monday? Or just not bother? As again no one knows quite whats going to happen

I've read if they win the Champions Cup they defend it no matter what division of rugby they are in. Can't remember where I've read it though, saw the article on facebook.

Thread starter #16

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
What about the prize money + endorsements, trophies and titles they won whilst cheating.
Should that not be refunded/returned and awarded to the second teams.
Looks bad to see them as historical title winners when everyone knows they won by unfair means.

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
What about the prize money + endorsements, trophies and titles they won whilst cheating.
Should that not be refunded/returned and awarded to the second teams.
Looks bad to see them as historical title winners when everyone knows they won by unfair means.
Sounds like Rangers to me. Don't remember them giving anything back either.

GB72

Money List Winner
I am no fan of Sarries but have some sympathy in relation to the second punishment. Basic fact is that to be compliant then they have to lose players, all well and good. Trouble is that any payments made to terminate a contract count as part of the salary cap so that is not an option. So, you then have to find new clubs for these players. Most clubs, if not all, in England will have spent up to their cap so they cannot take any on. That pretty much leaves the options of the Pro14 or France. All of these would mean leaving the leagues in England and so would, if the rules are adhered to, end the England careers of all those players that left. Playing for England is a massive payday as well as an honour for players and so you are not going to get those players to willing sign new contracts abroad with the 6 Nations only weeks away. As such, there really is no way that Sarries could have ever become compliant in such a short period of time.

Much of it now reeks of other clubs putting the knife in rather than a justifiable punishment only in that the terms could never easily be complied with. Think this should have been addressed at the same time as the original punishment. Maybe that would have resulted in effectively automatic relegation but at least the outcome would have been agreed upfront.

Also not sure that I see the point in the punishment anyway. Sarries will hammer any opposition in the Championship (and whoever asked earlier, there is no salary cap in that league) and deny another club a chance to push for promotion. Maybe better to fine them the premiership TV money for next season and break up the squad until compliant.

My big concern though are the stories that they were given the chance for either a forensic investigation of the books or relegation and they took relegation. That to me suggests that there is something else hiding in the figures.

GB72

Money List Winner
My other worry is that this may be it for Saracens. Wray cannot get his own way, all the other clubs are putting the knife in, the team he paid to build is going to get broken up so he could just walk away from the losses. Club cannot support itself and could follow Richmond, London Welsh etc.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
My other worry is that this may be it for Saracens. Wray cannot get his own way, all the other clubs are putting the knife in, the team he paid to build is going to get broken up so he could just walk away from the losses. Club cannot support itself and could follow Richmond, London Welsh etc.
hes already walked away!!!! has reportedly given his shares to his children and the club is effectively for sale