RIP Ginger

Leftie

Tour Winner
That man wasn't on the same planet as us when he played in the late 60's in Cream. Saw him many times at gigs around South London. The first time was at The Star PH in Broad Green, Croydon (where I had become a Clapton addict following gigs there with John Mayall). My recollection was of this guy at the drum kit, fixing his gaze on a picture on the wall, starting a beat with a bass drum pedal, then a different beat with the other foot, then adding different beats with each hand and all somehow coming together ...... All without averting his gaze. Only person I've ever seen/heard doing a two footed base drum paraddidle drum roll. I cannot imagine how he got his feet moving so fast. I'd willingly have had a pint of what he was on :eek:

cliveb

Head Pro
Ginger Baker was of course a fabulous drummer.
Shame about his breathtaking arrogance and disdain for other top class players.
Just listen to what he had to say about John Bonham.

(Ringo Starr made me want to play the drums, Ginger Baker and John Bonham gave me motivation to try and improve, Bill Bruford and Pierre Moerlen made me realise there was no hope and give up).

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Ginger Baker was of course a fabulous drummer.
Shame about his breathtaking arrogance and disdain for other top class players.
Just listen to what he had to say about John Bonham.

(Ringo Starr made me want to play the drums, Ginger Baker and John Bonham gave me motivation to try and improve, Bill Bruford and Pierre Moerlen made me realise there was no hope and give up).
Give me Bonham over Ginger every time, never been a fan of Ginger, felt he overplayed far too much for the sake of showing off.
Bruford, now we're talking, a proper musical drummer much like Porcaro who always played for the song.