Return to Golf in Scotland

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Robster is it two balls max only? surely they haven't ruled out playing yourself? Lol.

Also the playing two times max a week is a bit extreme! Disappointed.
Initially they are making sure everyone gets an opportunity to play, not just those sitting with fingers poised when the tee times go live.

Once it has been going a few weeks they can look at things with a view to tweaking things a bit. Lets be honest two games is better than non at all!

Thread starter #143

CliveW

Tour Winner
From the First Minister's update this morning...

"As well as those changes, some non-contact outdoor leisure activities will be allowed to restart from the end of next week - such as golf, tennis, bowls and fishing – croquet as well, as I was asked about in Parliament - subject to appropriate hygiene and physical distancing.

People will be able to travel – preferably by walking or cycling - to a location near their local community for recreation. But here we are asking you to stay fairly local. Five miles will not be a strict limit but it is a guide. We don’t want, in this phase, people congregating at tourist hot spots - because crowds of people – even if they’re trying to socially distance - brings more risk than we judge is safe to take at this time."

The full report can be found here...
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-speech-22-2020/

Old Skier

Tour Winner
From the First Minister's update this morning...

"As well as those changes, some non-contact outdoor leisure activities will be allowed to restart from the end of next week - such as golf, tennis, bowls and fishing – croquet as well, as I was asked about in Parliament - subject to appropriate hygiene and physical distancing.

People will be able to travel – preferably by walking or cycling - to a location near their local community for recreation. But here we are asking you to stay fairly local. Five miles will not be a strict limit but it is a guide. We don’t want, in this phase, people congregating at tourist hot spots - because crowds of people – even if they’re trying to socially distance - brings more risk than we judge is safe to take at this time."

The full report can be found here...
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-speech-22-2020/
Not sure what the mileage bit does really, same infective advice/guide given in England. Apart from schools which finish earlier than in England seems very similar to England.

This year will be all about compromises.
Absolutely and we have all compromised and continue to do so.

Even 3 times a week and not being able to play twice on the same day would be reasonable for reintroducing the game.

Some clubs could see all members playing twice a week and the course being left empty for the remainder of the week.

Just lack of consistency when people can cram into parks and beaches as long and as many times as they want, while you have empty golf courses where it is very easy to socially distance, probably not come into contact with anyone when playing during off peak times.

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
Absolutely and we have all compromised and continue to do so.

Even 3 times a week and not being able to play twice on the same day would be reasonable for reintroducing the game.

Some clubs could see all members playing twice a week and the course being left empty for the remainder of the week.

Just lack of consistency when people can cram into parks and beaches as long and as many times as they want, while you have empty golf courses where it is very easy to socially distance, probably not come into contact with anyone when playing during off peak times.
I've not seen anyone cram into a park yet. Your attitude is typical of the selfish golfer image that is portrayed in the press and wider community.

Take it up with your club if you're unhappy. Bleating about it on a two bob forum won't win any prizes or change anything.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Robster is it two balls max only? surely they haven't ruled out playing yourself? Lol.

Also the playing two times max a week is a bit extreme! Disappointed.
Billy no mates, that's me :(
I think that they are just going for two for now to see how it goes and then maybe relax it as we go on. Given human nature, and the fact that people could book up slots and then cancel them with 24 hours to go, they want to make sure everyone gets a chance to play. Especially considering it's been so long.

Thread starter #148

CliveW

Tour Winner
Scottish Golf suggest no more than two households per tee time. Therefore you can have a four ball made up of four persons from one household, or three from one household and one from another, or two from one household and two from another.

Traminator

Here's my take based on the wording :

If you're going out for some exercise, running etc, find somewhere within 5 miles. You don't need to go further than that.

If you're going for some random sport, find a facility within 5 miles.

If you're a paid up member of one golf club which is your regular golf facility, I see it being fully justified to travel directly there and back to play your golf, whatever the distance.
But if you are paying green fees and you choose to ignore local courses and travel 30 miles to the Old Course, stand by to get in trouble.
Hopefully travelling to your course that you're a member of will be viewed with common sense 🤞

KenL

Tour Rookie
My club issued a note, play allowed from 29th unless Scotgov changes anything.
Two people max in any time. Limited to 2 booking per week initially. Zero access to clubhouse but toilet available on the course. Proshop staff there to assist. First time 0730 to allow staff access to do the brilliant job they do. Arrive and leave promptly.
Delighted!

Siolag

We are going to be having 2 balls to begin with. Booking opens tomorrow. No visitors or members guests for June anyway, that will be reviewed. Social golf for at least the first phase. I’ll be on a committee call tomorrow to discuss the next phase and also what we do to try and open the bar and food when able to do so.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
You can interpret the guidelines however you want to fit a self interested agenda but it's pretty clear to most that driving long distances to play golf goes against the spirit of keeping people confined to their locality as it describes. But I guess there's already so many people knowingly putting their own interests above a common good so what's the point.

Traminator

You can interpret the guidelines however you want to fit a self interested agenda but it's pretty clear to most that driving long distances to play golf goes against the spirit of keeping people confined to their locality as it describes. But I guess there's already so many people knowingly putting their own interests above a common good so what's the point.
I have no agenda, I was merely interpreting the rules based on what I read.

KenL

Tour Rookie
They are guidelines, not laws. NS is appealing to people to exercise caution and not take the you know what.

It is more about preventing thousands of people heading to beauty spots (beaches, Loch Lomond etc) than a few people (yes a few in the grand scheme of things) going to play golf, tennis, croquet or fishing. People are reading too much into it, no issue for golf.

I've not seen anyone cram into a park yet. Your attitude is typical of the selfish golfer image that is portrayed in the press and wider community.

Take it up with your club if you're unhappy. Bleating about it on a two bob forum won't win any prizes or change anything.
Haha how ignorant. You need to mind your mind your manners and you clearly don't get out much then if you haven't seen the outright disregard to social distancing.

Selfish to want ONE extra round of golf per week when golf courses will likely be empty half the time, aye okay pal, jog on.