Removing holed ball with flag in situ.

Thread starter #1
Once a ball is holed, if the flag is removed to get easier access to the ball and the ball should pop out and land on the green due to the removal of the flag is this a penalty situation?
A few days ago an opponent deemed the ball to be "back in play" and needed to be holed again.
We ignored him 😳 But I can't find a ruling on this from either Google or the Rules - 13.2 the Flagstick.
Many thanks.

As soon as the any part of the ball is below the level of the ground, in the cup, it is considered holed and then out of play
I should add that the ball needs to be at rest below the lip as well.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
I think what hes saying is that if the ball in motion goes over the hole (dipping below the top line while doing so), it's not considered holed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
What do you mean by no it doesn't ?
My reading is that the ball has to be at rest either the entire ball below the surface or in the special case of resting against the flagstick with part of it below the surface.
The ball will.always be resting against the flagstick, where ever it is in the hole.

When its stationaey, and part of it is below the surface it's holed

Backache

Assistant Pro
The ball will.always be resting against the flagstick, where ever it is in the hole.

When its stationaey, and part of it is below the surface it's holed
Sorry I misinterpreted your previous post when you said it doesn't I was thinking you may have been referring to the at rest bit rather than the below the lip bit.

Gentlemen, I was the OP so wish to thank you for the replies.
(I'd forgotten my password and in the process got registered as a newbie - since corrected)
I emailed the ruling to my three playing partners on the day.
One replied thanking me and the other two remained silent.
They are the same two who, earlier in the game, had reminded me with immense confidence that tending the flag is no longer allowed. I corrected them on that too.
We actually play together often and are very amicable.
Next game I will take immense pleasure in asking if they want the flag tended and urging great care when removing their ball from the hole. 🙂
Many thanks.