Re-worked Songs

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Sting, Little bird
Scissor Sisters, comfortably numb
Amii Stewart, Light my fire.

I can never see the point in covering a song, and singing it as a copy of the original. Take it somewhere new, or don't bother.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
Word Up - Gun
Jealous Guy - Roxy Music
Kiss - Tom Jones & Art of Noise

Not strictly a cover as it’s still Elvis by a prefer the remix of a Little Less Conversation in the early 2000’s

Orikoru

Tour Winner
In music class in school we had to compare and review Elvis and the Pet Shop Boys. The worst review which called Elvis the better one got more marks than the best one calling it the other way (mine). I think the teacher was biased in his marking.
I really like the Pet Shop Boys version, but really only for one reason. They changed the chord on 'mind' and it sounds great. Only a little thing but genius.

I'll back the OPs choice of Runrig's version of Loch Lomond.

And offer Delilah, by Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and Brittany Murphy's version of Somebody To Love (done for the film Happy Feet)

Slab

Money List Winner
I'd never heard this before, thanks for posting... I so wish you had just posted the audio though. That is just about the most cringe worthy music video edit I've ever seen. How do i unsee so many random audience shots of nodding/shaking heads

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
I'd never heard this before, thanks for posting... I so wish you had just posted the audio though. That is just about the most cringe worthy music video edit I've ever seen. How do i unsee so many random audience shots of nodding/shaking heads
I agree, not my taste either but Americans do seem to like that sort of thing.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
The choices of audience shot are anything but random, and I'd suggest are relevant to the event.

Slab

Money List Winner
The choices of audience shot are anything but random, and I'd suggest are relevant to the event.
Random prob the wrong word, I didn't mean who they were, more that it was like watching a celebrity event with lots of 'dad dancing' going on (I think I skipped quickly past one women doing the 'agodoo' hand motion!) :sneaky:

Wolf

Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson
Mad World - Gary Jules
You really got me - Van Halen
Nothing compares - Sinead O Conner
The man who sold the world - Nirvana
American Woman - Lenny Kravitz

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Sounds decent and all but I wouldn't really say it's re-worked. Sounds a lot like the original to me. Just with added choir and a few violins.
True, but how much would you really want to rework such a classic? Having said that I did come across reggae versions by Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa the other day.

Foxholer

Major Champion
Jeff Buckley’ version of Hallelujah
Sorry, good version but Cohen's version is untouchable! Saw him at O2 and he was magnificent! Through my tears listening to that song, I noticed several others on either side in the same state!

However, The Ten Tenors do a great, if slightly less emotive, take on it!

For a Cohen song 'improved' (aka sung as opposed to spoken to music!) though....Neil diamond's version of Suzanne is pretty good. But that concert's version eclipses even that!

Last edited:

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Sounds decent and all but I wouldn't really say it's re-worked. Sounds a lot like the original to me. Just with added choir and a few violins.
A bit like Alien Ant Farms Smooth Criminal mentioned above. It's pretty much exactly the original, except not performed by a deviant.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
A bit like Alien Ant Farms Smooth Criminal mentioned above. It's pretty much exactly the original, except not performed by a deviant.
I think Smooth Criminal is a lot more different, with the way they played the guitars, made it a lot heavier, sang the 'Annie are you ok' part a bit differently. I really liked their version actually.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
I give you Crowd Chant by Joe Satriani - based on Faure's Pavane. The chords and melody are in there somewhere.