Rats

Thread starter #1

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Beware!!!! They are on the move. Their usual food supplies have gone and they are searching for new sources. We've seen two in the last two days!!! Never seen one near hear before. Next door and next door but one have both seen the bloomin' things. Stop feeding birds and do not leave food out anywhere. You have been warned !!!!

Traminator

Makes sense to be honest.
If they're normally hanging around the back of restaurants and the like, they'll be moving elsewhere sniffing out food.

Slab

Money List Winner
I see a similar problem but its with Exclamation Marks

They too are on the move jumping from thread to thread and excessively multiplying as they go unchecked

As @Traminator alludes to I think its linked to restaurants being closed and folks can't be shocked by how crap the food is for the cost, and they're moving into other areas to feast!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
When I worked in Park Royal my walk, to the station, took me through an entertainment complex where there were multi several of the food outlets... Seeing ratty scurrying about, whilst crossing the car park, was not an uncommon sight... Sort of reinforced my disliking of 'fast food'...

It's much more likely that they have always been there - and that we are around more of the time & have more chance to see them. They tend not to range very far from their "home" - if their regular supply of food is short, they will range further but its still not very far - ie, even if they have increased their range, they were already very close by. (If your nearest takeaway is, say, half a mile away, then they haven't come from there).

Thread starter #10

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Laugh if you like. We've never had rats, but have now. Two in fact. Well, they may not be ours but certainly are using our garden to get from their A to B. The local hospital has had an increase on them. The local school has increased the Rentokil traps around the place. There's been quite a few sightings of them in places that they haven't been seen before. I just thought I'd warn you all to be on your guard. But sing your way though the UB40 song if you think that will keep them away. No worries.

No exclamation marks were used during this post.

banjofred

Laugh if you like. We've never had rats, but have now. Two in fact. Well, they may not be ours but certainly are using our garden to get from their A to B. The local hospital has had an increase on them. The local school has increased the Rentokil traps around the place. There's been quite a few sightings of them in places that they haven't been seen before. I just thought I'd warn you all to be on your guard. But sing your way though the UB40 song if you think that will keep them away. No worries.

I may have to start up a special interest group to save the exclamation mark from extinction!!!!

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member

CF I can guarantee that you will have several rat nests within 100 yards of your house, everyone does,

They are seldom seen as they mostly come out at night and tend to keep away from us.

That their usual source of food has changed is in no doubt, so they will be exploring new avenues to find where the easy pickings are.

It’s not a plague and don’t read any James Herbert books 👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Every garden has rats just because you don’t see them dosnt mean they aren’t there.
Are people keeping their cats at home in lockdown.
I usually see a couple in my garden but haven't seen one for weeks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Have been seen in my garden from time to time ever since I have lived here.

I stopped putting out food for the birds as a result.

I have a little smile as the neighbours cat is aware they are amongst my herbaceous plants but cannot work out a way to get through the plants to get at them. When it tries they obviously know the quickest way back under the neighbours fence and back under the shed which is where I think they nest.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Touch wood the one that decided to set up home under the decking has gone. He discovered the compost bin and was regularly feasting on the worms.