Random irritations of the day......

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Why the dislike of gas?
Not a proper braai like we live on in South Africa. Gas BBQ might as well put a grill on your stove and cook it there and save the cost.

Outdoor cooking takes love and attention.

Wood is preferred for the best coals. Well aged pieces of hardwood that take an hour or so to get to the right cooking temperatures. Ice cold beer in hand, chatting rubbish around the fire. Perfect. Also get a much better flavour than you would on gas.

Kellfire

Tour Winner
Not a proper braai like we live on in South Africa. Gas BBQ might as well put a grill on your stove and cook it there and save the cost.

Wood is preferred for the best coals. Well aged pieces of hardwood that take an hour or so to get to the right cooking temperatures. Ice cold beer in hand, chatting rubbish around the fire. Perfect. Also get a much better flavour than you would on gas.
I know some BBQ enthusiasts and they’re adamant the best thing they ever did was move to gas. They ended up seeing that using wood was merely adding complication for no tangible benefit. I guess it depends how much you want to make the process easier and how much you want it to be about the care, attention and social involvement.

Might as well stick the oven on and a couple of baking trays. Gas has never been bbq’ing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
I know some BBQ enthusiasts and they’re adamant the best thing they ever did was move to gas. They ended up seeing that using wood was merely adding complication for no tangible benefit. I guess it depends how much you want to make the process easier and how much you want it to be about the care, attention and social involvement.
Might as well stick the oven on and a couple of baking trays. Gas has never been bbq’ing.
I think it depends on your priorities. We had a barbecue a few weeks back, with coals, and honestly it's a bit of a pain trying to get it right if you're not an expert, like us. We decided there and then that we'd be getting a gas barbecue once we've done the garden up (in time for next summer when we can actually have people over.. hopefully). For me a BBQ is just about cooking outdoors, drinking a few beers with your mates as the sun goes down, but not standing about faffing with coals to try and get them right. Easier the better I reckon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
You don't really need to faff on with the coals, you just need to keep an eye of the grill height really.
I'm talking about even getting the bloody thing alight. I accept we probably didn't have all the right tools and paraphernalia. But gas just has to be easier anyway.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
I'm talking about even getting the bloody thing alight. I accept we probably didn't have all the right tools and paraphernalia. But gas just has to be easier anyway.
Also, I think for just 2 it is overly expensive and wasteful to burn all that charcoal for a couple of steaks or burgers. Much easier to fire up the gas for 10 minutes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Buy a big bag of the self lighting charcoal, the ones with smaller, self contained bags inside. If you are cooking for 2-4 people then use one bag. If you are cooking for more than that then use 2 bags. Two bags last for ages. No hassle to light, you just light the bags and leave them for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure BBQ experts look down on these but for the likes of you and I they make it much easier. No need to pile the coals up, struggle to get them lit, have they all taken?, have they turned grey enough? Stuff that.

GB72

Money List Winner
I think it depends on your priorities. We had a barbecue a few weeks back, with coals, and honestly it's a bit of a pain trying to get it right if you're not an expert, like us. We decided there and then that we'd be getting a gas barbecue once we've done the garden up (in time for next summer when we can actually have people over.. hopefully). For me a BBQ is just about cooking outdoors, drinking a few beers with your mates as the sun goes down, but not standing about faffing with coals to try and get them right. Easier the better I reckon.
Got a barbecue on the way that has both, a gas barbecue and a charcoal fueled one, not overly expensive and best of both worlds. The gas one to use when in a hurry or just as a daily use extension of the kitchen and the charcoal one for proper barbecuing.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
The fingerprint unlockers on the screen of my company Samsung S10 is nowhere near as fast or accurate as that on the back of my Moto G7. This seems to me to be an example of needless complexity.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Not true at all, totally different flavour. I can admit it might not be quite as good as wood/coal, but burgers (or any meat for that matter) cooked on my weber gas grill taste WAY better than any meat I've cooked in a pan, let alone on a tray in an oven.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
You bloody poms are killing me! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Having a braai is not a schlep at all. The enthusiasts you know @Kellfire need to check themselves!

Trust me. As a red meat loving, semi pro alcoholic South African I know what I’m taking about.

I’m sure that anyone who has been to South Africa will back me up here. We braai 2 or 3 times a week. It’s just what we do

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
You bloody poms are killing me! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Having a braai is not a schlep at all. The enthusiasts you know @Kellfire need to check themselves!

Trust me. As a red meat loving, semi pro alcoholic South African I know what I’m taking about.

I’m sure that anyone who has been to South Africa will back me up here. We braai 2 or 3 times a week. It’s just what we do
Semi pro. You sure about that? 😂