Random irritations of the day......

Slab

Money List Winner
Not saying it's fair on the drivers or anything, but I imagine a lot of things being ordered are projects or activities to keep people sane during the lockdown. Not things they would order if there wasn't a lockdown or after the lockdown.
I get folks want to keep themselves busy & occupied (avoiding insanity is pushing it though :) )

Though I'll wager if they really put their mind to it they can find things to do that don't involve risking those in the supply chain needed to get a non-essential item from A-B

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
In less than 2 minutes it seems I can buy a hair trimmer from Argos, a shirt from next and some sand and paving blocks from B&Q (so I'll wager hundreds of thousands of other non essential items and hundreds of websites are fully open)

Do these delivery drivers really need to be on the road

If it isn’t food, medical supplies or essential household consumables why not consider not ordering until the lock-down phase has passed (& it stands to reason the more that can stay at home/avoid all contact then the shorter the lockdown phase will be)
We had a DHL driver in yesterday. His load is significantly down but he expects some uptake once the home shopping really kicks in. For around 10 days now drivers have been told to take parcels to the door, press the bell, knock etc, step well away from the door. When the customer opens the door they take their name and the driver signs for it. That process is fine, easy to isolate.

The roads are empty, much easier for him to get around, minimal accident risks right now.

Part of his load may be essential supplies, the other may be fluff. To justify the cost of being out for the essentials, remember they do not know what is in the parcel, you need the fluff as well. If they only have 3 parcels on a vehicle that vehicle will not be going anywhere. What if those are needed for essential matters?

The drivers we have seen are wearing gloves, they are also using hand sanitizer a lot, wipes as well.

I see what you are saying and agree some are undoutedly unnecessary. It is a balance though.

Slab

Money List Winner
We had a DHL driver in yesterday. His load is significantly down but he expects some uptake once the home shopping really kicks in. For around 10 days now drivers have been told to take parcels to the door, press the bell, knock etc, step well away from the door. When the customer opens the door they take their name and the driver signs for it. That process is fine, easy to isolate.

The roads are empty, much easier for him to get around, minimal accident risks right now.

Part of his load may be essential supplies, the other may be fluff. To justify the cost of being out for the essentials, remember they do not know what is in the parcel, you need the fluff as well. If they only have 3 parcels on a vehicle that vehicle will not be going anywhere. What if those are needed for essential matters?

The drivers we have seen are wearing gloves, they are also using hand sanitizer a lot, wipes as well.

I see what you are saying and agree some are undoutedly unnecessary. It is a balance though.
Absolutely a balance, all i'm suggesting is cut down the non-essential orders and the driver is less exposed, the number of pickers needed in the warehouse can be reduced/eliminated, the managers needed to manage the pickers are reduced etc etc etc
It takes several people to get that non-essential item to the garden gate, its not what the driver does with it in the last 50yards its every yard moved to/from work & at work by every person used in order to get it to the gate

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Absolutely a balance, all i'm suggesting is cut down the non-essential orders and the driver is less exposed, the number of pickers needed in the warehouse can be reduced/eliminated, the managers needed to manage the pickers are reduced etc etc etc
It takes several people to get that non-essential item to the garden gate, its not what the driver does with it in the last 50yards its every yard moved to/from work & at work by every person used in order to get it to the gate
Amazon have cut down what their offering to focus onto essiental items

Thread starter #11,886

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Never have nor never will stop maintenance, isn't fair on the kids to miss out because she's being a twunt. Also won't go tit for tat because when it goes back to court they can see factual evidence supports me
Fair enough, just concerned you were considering it as I thought you'd liked the post that suggested it. Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

chellie

Tour Winner
Had to drive to the garage to get new tyres. Yet again F## morons have come to the coast to go on the beach and sand dunes. Admittedly not as many as the weekend just gone but lord help us if the weather is good again:mad:

Had to drive to the garage to get new tyres. Yet again F## morons have come to the coast to go on the beach and sand dunes. Admittedly not as many as the weekend just gone but lord help us if the weather is good again:mad:
Hopefully they will get picked up and issued with a nice fine.

Thats why we will be under lockdown for at least 2 months :mad:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Breaking the front half of one of my teeth clean off whilst eating a chicken wing.. Don't often have issues with my teeth (quite a few were knocked out in my younger, sportier years though). Rang the Dentist to be told that they'd shut down half the clinic and were only taking emergencies...

Then I did the stupidest thing I've ever done... They asked how painful it was... I answered honestly..

"Not particularly. Only when I put pressure on it.."

"Oh well then, it's not really an emergency. Ring us back if it starts hurting."

So now I'm stuck here looking like Cletus the slack jawed yokel, not able to chew anything on the left side of my mouth, during the biggest health crisis for decades.. Brilliant..

Oh, and do you want to know when/where I last had to visit a dentist?
June 30th 2007. In Glasgow... That's right, when they bombed the airport.. They shut all the hospitals and clinics just in case there were casualties.. I ended up lancing my own abscess with a sewing pin washed with Bombay Sapphire gin. Did a bloody good job of it as well..

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Good news is the forecast for the weekend is for it to be baltic...

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Just bad timing in changing jobs. Handed in my notice five weeks ago, last day is tomorrow and meant to start new job on Wednesday. In both roles everyone is currently working, but from home. New employer just called saying they definitely still want me, but can they delay the start date for an indefinite period of time and will your current employer consider keeping you on for a while!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Phoned up as I need to order mine and could be up to 2 weeks as wholesalers on short time , it's ok as it's not like I'm going anywhere apart from around 30 miles next week on my work day .

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
theyve had to disperse some groups down here and have now advised sitting on a seaside bench is not your 1 exercise a day!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Bin bags!! Why do they make poorly made ones.

Best ones I found Tesco 100l tie top

Hard to get ATM due to virus and Tesco being rammed

Got some others

Ripped opening and ripped getting out

AAwfuk

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
theyve had to disperse some groups down here and have now advised sitting on a seaside bench is not your 1 exercise a day!
SIGH!

Christchurch Police UK
18 mins ·
These are a list of excuses that we were given today for people being out:
"We are just tidying our beach hut as exercise!"
"I am just having a rest and a cuppa!"
" I need to paint my beach hut!"
" I need to walk by dog at the beach!"
" I don't have a garden!"
"The hotel where we work is shut and we have nothing to do! (Whilst a group of them were playing football!")
" I am just checking a loose nut on my bike! (whilst at the beach)
" I am just admiring the view!"
" My friend has Coronavirus, I feel guilty now!"
" I have come to fill up my bike!" (Traveled from New Milton to Mudeford and was at Mudeford Quay!)
" My son is a Doctor, he would kill me if he knew I was out!"
" I am out for Health and Safety reasons, to check on the sea for fishing tomorrow!"
" I am disbaled and walk with sticks but cant walk in Bransgore but can walk in Highcliffe!"
" I am meeting with my best friend!" whose car then failed to start so in turn had to call recovery!

NONE of the above would be deemed as an essential reason to be out!!

Please think before you leave home 'Do I need to go out? Is it an essential journey?'

Neilds

Assistant Pro
SIGH!

Christchurch Police UK
18 mins ·
These are a list of excuses that we were given today for people being out:
"We are just tidying our beach hut as exercise!"
"I am just having a rest and a cuppa!"
" I need to paint my beach hut!"
" I need to walk by dog at the beach!"
" I don't have a garden!"
"The hotel where we work is shut and we have nothing to do! (Whilst a group of them were playing football!")
" I am just checking a loose nut on my bike! (whilst at the beach)
" I am just admiring the view!"
" My friend has Coronavirus, I feel guilty now!"
" I have come to fill up my bike!" (Traveled from New Milton to Mudeford and was at Mudeford Quay!)
" My son is a Doctor, he would kill me if he knew I was out!"
" I am out for Health and Safety reasons, to check on the sea for fishing tomorrow!"
" I am disbaled and walk with sticks but cant walk in Bransgore but can walk in Highcliffe!"
" I am meeting with my best friend!" whose car then failed to start so in turn had to call recovery!

NONE of the above would be deemed as an essential reason to be out!!

Please think before you leave home 'Do I need to go out? Is it an essential journey?'
The thing that is winding me up is watching the news and seeing all the reporters out and about, telling us not to travel. Why do they think we will take more notice of the news if they are in a particular location. It is bad enough when they report from floods stood knee deep in water, or tell us not to drive in snowy weather as they are stood out in a blizzard! They should practice what they preach, being out reporting is not essential

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Well I guess Orikoru (so wtf does that name mean then?) is in the same boat as me.
All football leagues below a certain level have been cancelled, results null and void, no promotion or relegation.
Gutted, league and cup double were nailed on, we only had 9 games left in the season as well :poop:

Slime

Tour Winner
Well I guess Orikoru (so wtf does that name mean then?) is in the same boat as me.
All football leagues below a certain level have been cancelled, results null and void, no promotion or relegation.
Gutted, league and cup double were nailed on, we only had 9 games left in the season as well :poop:
I think it's Sanskrit for folded crisps.