Random irritations of the day......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Being asked to minute a minute and not understanding a single word as it was medical jargon and procedures. Got to type it up and submit it to the ward manager tomorrow morning. Looking at my notes tonight and I can't make head nor tale. Why ask a layman to a medical meeting?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Being asked to minute a minute and not understanding a single word as it was medical jargon and procedures. Got to type it up and submit it to the ward manager tomorrow morning. Looking at my notes tonight and I can't make head nor tale. Why ask a layman to a medical meeting?
Dictaphone or voice recorder :eek::ROFLMAO:

Kellfire

Tour Winner
Thought you’d worked in hospitals for years?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Thought you’d worked in hospitals for years?
Yes but in recruitment roles for the last eleven years. Recently moved to ICU to become admin manager. Doesn't mean I have a clue on how the life support machinery works or the medical jargon and drugs. I don't understand why they couldn't minute their own meeting and understand what they'd written. Just seemed a silly thing for me to be doing especially as I can't do short hand and there was a medical secretary on the unit today

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
If you think who would take minutes in meetings in any business, expecting them to understand everything that is said is naive. Have you not developed your own short hand from taking notes in interviews or previous meetings you've attended? For future meetings, something I learned very early on, type up your notes as soon as you possibly can. Pick up the phone or go and talk to whoever made a point you're unsure on. Don't leave typing them up till immediately before submission. And as Admin Manager why didn't you delegate to someone more appropriate? Do you have staff or is it another title that doesn't fit the job?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
If you think who would take minutes in meetings in any business, expecting them to understand everything that is said is naive. Have you not developed your own short hand from taking notes in interviews or previous meetings you've attended? For future meetings, something I learned very early on, type up your notes as soon as you possibly can. Pick up the phone or go and talk to whoever made a point you're unsure on. Don't leave typing them up till immediately before submission. And as Admin Manager why didn't you delegate to someone more appropriate? Do you have staff or is it another title that doesn't fit the job?
Good points well made except a) this is the first meeting of this nature I've attended and the jargon very technical so was focused on getting crux of points down. It was a review of critical incidents, deaths on the unit and clinical governance b) despite the glorified NHS title I'm a one man band as the funding for those due to work as my team now cut/on hold and the medical secretary allocated to ICU was already in a meeting with the Urgent Care directorate which is why I was asked.

I'm doing the minutes at the moment (well once I get this coffee and mince pie down me) as it's still relatively fresh but the joys of a unit rota pattern means most of the relevant people are now rostered on days off or nights and so asking to fill in the gaps is going to be tricky. Going to blitz through it and get my notes on paper, tidy them into a decent format and then try and get them reviewed at the earliest opportunity to fill the missing gaps and correct any obvious errors.

In the scheme of thing it's not the end of the world and I'm sure if I do this regularly I'll get to understand more of what is being said and I'll try and catch a practice educator and get a very basic over view on key topics and equipment/conditions etc.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Good points well made except a) this is the first meeting of this nature I've attended and the jargon very technical so was focused on getting crux of points down. It was a review of critical incidents, deaths on the unit and clinical governance b) despite the glorified NHS title I'm a one man band as the funding for those due to work as my team now cut/on hold and the medical secretary allocated to ICU was already in a meeting with the Urgent Care directorate which is why I was asked.

I'm doing the minutes at the moment (well once I get this coffee and mince pie down me) as it's still relatively fresh but the joys of a unit rota pattern means most of the relevant people are now rostered on days off or nights and so asking to fill in the gaps is going to be tricky. Going to blitz through it and get my notes on paper, tidy them into a decent format and then try and get them reviewed at the earliest opportunity to fill the missing gaps and correct any obvious errors.

In the scheme of thing it's not the end of the world and I'm sure if I do this regularly I'll get to understand more of what is being said and I'll try and catch a practice educator and get a very basic over view on key topics and equipment/conditions etc.
You’ll pick up the jargon pretty quickly, even if you don’t understand the full meaning you’ll get the context.

If someone asked me what the trigger levels were in ASB on a vent I could tell them but I wouldn’t have much of a clue about their application. 10 years as a biomedical engineer before jumping ship to the private sector and exposure to language.