Quickest time to get to single figures

Thread starter #21
Hello all,
Many thanks for the replies, just got in from work my son has been out down the range since 8 am ( he had a lesson ) and just got back through the door, he said it went really well, ill keep you updated with his progress

Our new club champion has just got to 14 (years old !!), he's currently off 0.7 and is certain to go lower very quickly. From memory he was about 15h/c around 18 months ago. He's a lovely lad and great fun to play with.

patricks148

Ryder Cup Winner
Our new club champion has just got to 14 (years old !!), he's currently off 0.7 and is certain to go lower very quickly. From memory he was about 15h/c around 18 months ago. He's a lovely lad and great fun to play with.
these young lads once they start coming down, they rocket down

I'd say that there is still plenty of hope for the OPs lad.

One of our juniors just turned 18. His game has come along slowly and was getting very good and down to low SFs when he was 16 - but in truth he's very shy, uncertain and hasn't been that quick on the uptake . But all of a sudden - ping - it seems to have clicked with him - he's growing up and getting stronger, and is really understanding what he's being coached - and no surprise his handicap has dropped from 2 to +2 in about a year. He recently knocked it round our track in a friendly knock in 11 under. He's in the Surrey squad and now has been playing for the Surrey 1st Team - no mean achievement.

Part of the impetus for his improvement will also be that he's got a challenger as the best young golfer in the club - a challenge coming from one of our junior girls. 14yr old and similarly this summer - knocked it round in 8 under off the ladies. She's asked for permission to play off the gents comp tees. Granted. Mind you she's got competition herself coming up. Her coach also coaches her younger sister - and he says that the younger sister displays more natural talent. But has she the single-minded determination to succeed that her elder sister is displaying - that we shall see.

https://ibb.co/rM5rtDD

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Journeyman Pro
I'm of the opinion keep going until one of two things happen. Your lad loses interest of he progresses through county level and beyond, if he has the raw natural talent I still think at 17 he has an outside chance, keep encouraging him and keep women and alcohol away from him!

:LOL:

A pro who did a stint at a local course to me never played until he was 18, it became his passion and by the time he was 22 was PGA qualified, from what he told us anyway. He won a few county competitions as a pro, just very naturally gifted.

Keep him at it, hell I'm 29 off the same handicap as him. I just wish I stuck at it instead of having long spells of not playing. Not to wish my years away but I still dream of retiring early and attempting a senior tour in a few decades.

Thread starter #28
Cheers, he had a knock over the christmas period down torquay golf club played 3 rounds first shot 1 over par second day 2 over and the third day 1 over par, pretty good considering he hasnt played there before, and he is looking forward to his lesson tomorrow, sat just gone shit 1 under par up one of his clubs