Q and Golf World

Thread starter #1

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
I see Bauer have said they are looking to merge or close 10 mags including Q and Golf World as they won't be sustainable after the Covid 19 crisis has ended. Haven't bought a golf mag for ages as I get my golf fix from YouTube and podcasts now. I have bought Q in the past and still occasionally buy it to read on a plane journey, but it does seem to be mostly very list based now with the Top 100 albums of the 90s etc etc all the time. Plus just about every album got 3 or 4 stars which kind of defeats the object of having 5 stars to chose from. I wonder how many other mags will go with the Covid crisis being the final straw.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
TBH most mags ive had got in the past have all sort of merged into the same thing and its now hard to tell them apart outside of the front cover.

don't buy a golf mag any longer. started buying Guitar and Bass mag, but that has sort have lost its indie non mainstream drive and is now similar to Guitarist. once my sub runs out i won't be bothering again

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Does anyone still buy magazines?? Surprised they haven't all been killed off by now. You can get all that content straight to your phone why would you want to bring a big shiny paper book around with you?

Yep, still ahve a subscription to Golf Monthly and (whispers) Today's Golfer.

Used to subscribe to MBUK, MBR & Singletrack as well, but it was getting too expensive

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Most magazines I used to buy tend to be just advertising for something or someone, with very little fresh or unbiased content. The last magazine I bought was at Gatwick, ready for my flight away:)

Thread starter #6

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Nowadays I only tend to buy magazines in an airport ahead of a flight and not even every flight, just sometimes. Must be very difficult for print magazines to survive in the modern world.
I always notice in the States that you can get yearly subscriptions for peanuts for most mags. And if I lived there I'd certainly be subscribing to a few. But I suppose you need to numbers of potential subscribers there to make that model work. I subscribe to the print version of Wired which is a very good mag IMHO with some really interesting and educational articles generally around tech. But it was an offer and I'd not pay full subscription price for any mag really. Which is a shame as magazines like Melody Maker and NME had a massive impact on my taste in music which has served me well for years.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Nowadays I only tend to buy magazines in an airport ahead of a flight and not even every flight, just sometimes. Must be very difficult for print magazines to survive in the modern world.
I easily spend £40 in the WH Smith at airports, especially before a long haul journey.

Just received this months copy of Golf World.

it feels paper thin. Only 108 pages, of which at least 20 pages are adverts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Subscribe to GM (well HID got the subscription as a Chrimbo present a few years back and simply renews it every two years as part of my Christmas. I have read TG but never find there is much depth to it. GW did use to do some great in depth articles and interviews but I confess I haven't bought it for several years. I know things like Golf Punk went digital only and I think that has to be the future for these titles

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Subscribe to GM (well HID got the subscription as a Chrimbo present a few years back and simply renews it every two years as part of my Christmas. I have read TG but never find there is much depth to it. GW did use to do some great in depth articles and interviews but I confess I haven't bought it for several years. I know things like Golf Punk went digital only and I think that has to be the future for these titles
Has it? Golf Monthly, I would suggest, is targeted towards an older demographic, one that is used to, and enjoys reading from a book or magazine. If I'm going to read a paper, I'll pick up a copy, I won't read it online. Is it the way forward if you're potentially excluding a chunk of your target audience. I work with a computer 8 hours a day, I don't want to pick one up of an evening to read.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Has it? Golf Monthly, I would suggest, is targeted towards an older demographic, one that is used to, and enjoys reading from a book or magazine. If I'm going to read a paper, I'll pick up a copy, I won't read it online. Is it the way forward if you're potentially excluding a chunk of your target audience. I work with a computer 8 hours a day, I don't want to pick one up of an evening to read.
But as the phone thread has shown, people use those for reading and as you say, and I agree with you, that the GM demographic is an older one (although I have no idea if that is where GM see it) but as time goes on, I can really see more people opting for an online version. It is far more convenient to read on a train on the commute home or during a lunch break in work. There will always be a demand for the printed word and I can see GM and others will continue to produce a monthly offering but I'd be interested to know what their readership numbers and units sold have been on say a five year period

Thread starter #16

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
But as the phone thread has shown, people use those for reading and as you say, and I agree with you, that the GM demographic is an older one (although I have no idea if that is where GM see it) but as time goes on, I can really see more people opting for an online version. It is far more convenient to read on a train on the commute home or during a lunch break in work. There will always be a demand for the printed word and I can see GM and others will continue to produce a monthly offering but I'd be interested to know what their readership numbers and units sold have been on say a five year period
You can type the name of magazines in the search box here and it gives you the circulation figures for last year. https://www.abc.org.uk/product/2692

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
I subscribe to GM and BBC History magazine.

GM is the only golf mag I've ever bought, but used to read History today, as well as hairy milf scuba divers in deckchairs monthly.