Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Sad to see Wigan Athletic go into administration, they wont be the last either :(

Likely 12 pt deduction will put them bottom of the champs and likely to be relegated too

pauldj42

Money List Winner
The deduction for going into administration is in the rules for the leage. It has happened before to other teams, precedents have been set. Sad to see but this could be the first of a few.
Disappointing they’re stating this is down to the Covid crisis, the Bank of England gave Spurs a £150 mil loan recently due to the Covid crisis, surely something could of been done for Wigan.
Not a dig at Spurs in anyway.(y)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Disappointing they’re stating this is down to the Covid crisis, the Bank of England gave Spurs a £150 mil loan recently due to the Covid crisis, surely something could of been done for Wigan.
I think if a few follow suit then rules may be looked at re points decution. Not sure loan's can just be given to everyone. Spurs are obviously a safer bet re repayment.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I think if a few follow suit then rules may be looked at re points decution. Not sure loan's can just be given to everyone. Spurs are obviously a safer bet re repayment.
Not comparing Wigan to Spurs, but it is Championship side to PL, they are currently safe and if next season returns to normal they’ll have decent income, their last financial report showed a £9mil loss so the loan needed may of been small compared to Spurs and I am guessing that going on the Wigan statement they’d of been OK had it not been for the Covid crisis.

They don’t publicly seem to fit the bill of a Club likely to folded anyway.🤷‍♂️

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Not comparing Wigan to Spurs, but it is Championship side to PL, they are currently safe and if next season returns to normal they’ll have decent income, their last financial report showed a £9mil loss so the loan needed may of been small compared to Spurs and I am guessing that going on the Wigan statement they’d of been OK had it not been for the Covid crisis.

They don’t publicly seem to fit the bill of a Club likely to folded anyway.🤷‍♂️
I guess a lot will depend on how next season goes. Spurs have assets worth the loan, guess it depends how much Wigan needed.

if they lost the 9m prior to covid then they aren’t gonna look to attractive to the banks if they’re losing it had over first now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I don't know what the Wigan balance sheet is like but they are not knocking on the door of the PL so are they a decent bet for a loan? Most clubs in that division lose money each year, wages outdo income or are frequently at around 90%. At least with Spurs they have near guaranteed PL income, have good money coming from each home again, commerical interests, potential CL money, player sales. Clubs that were badly run before Covid will be exposed further by the loss in matchday income.

From the looks of it Wigan will not go under, this is partly about restructuring debt, protecting the club from folding. They will take the hit short term to survive long term.