Post apocalyptic book recommendations

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
On the Beach by Nevil Shute. From the guff on the back cover...

Following the devastation of a nuclear world war, Europe, America and most of the northern hemisphere is annihilated. Only a few remote pockets of the earth remain habitable, and the area around Melbourne is one of these.

It's a great story - and the film of the book is unforgettable (also according to the book guff) - starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. Highly recommended both.
I watched the TV film a few years ago very enjoyable watch just needed something to dry my eyes with.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219224/

I probably read the Book but it was a very long time ago. I know I watched the Greg Peck film but again it was too long ago to remember it ( I was still in short trousers when that one came out).

On the Beach by Nevil Shute. From the guff on the back cover...

Following the devastation of a nuclear world war, Europe, America and most of the northern hemisphere is annihilated. Only a few remote pockets of the earth remain habitable, and the area around Melbourne is one of these.

It's a great story - and the film of the book is unforgettable (also according to the book guff) - starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. Highly recommended both.
Ava Gardner famously said 1950s Melbourne was a perfect place to make a movie about the end of the world :LOL:

If you can handle some science fiction, I’d recommend Seveneves by Neal Stephenson and Eon by Greg Bear.

Another favourite is The Stand by Stephen King. The book (quite long) is so much more atmospheric than all the TV versions.

World War Z. Far better than you would think and very different from the film.
I couldn’t wait for the film after reading the book as it was absolutely brilliant. Boy was I disappointed.

As a stand-alone film WWZ is alright but it bares no resemblance at all to the book.

I think the book would make a fantastic mini series.